• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Make a lighter weight tripod head work better with heavier scope (1 Viewer)

mooreorless

I posted this on Pentax Scope sub-forum, but figured it would get more read here. This would work for straight spotters , not sure with angled. Sorry if this is known or talked about before.:) I have permission to use this picture from Rich V.
Steve

Attachments

• Rich V picture tripod mount.jpg
    Rich V picture tripod mount.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 377
Yes it is Henry, ten pound scope[4.5 kilos]. It would work with a spotter, not sure on an angled one. I have seen these made out of wood too.
Steve

Steve,

Can you provide additional information re the theory\principle\adaptations involved, the photograph on it’s own does not explain it all (for me).

Interesting post, would like to know more.

Kind Regards,
John

Steve,

Can you provide additional information re the theory\principle\adaptations involved, the photograph on it’s own does not explain it all (for me).

Interesting post, would like to know more.

Kind Regards,
John

Hi John, Here is another picture that might help a little. This adapter puts the balance point more in line with alt axis instead of sitting on top of the tripod head with the more leverage force this causes.
These adapters could be made out of plywood, using inserts in the wood to attach QR plate and scope. I have not tried this yet , but want to.
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
The theory behind this is the same as for a gimbal mount. The pivot axis is aligned with the center of mass of the object so it is balanced. Picture a round wheel, the center of mass is at the center of the axle. So the wheel will stay where ever you put it with very little friction. The mass on one side balances the mass on the other side. The farther from the center of mass your pivot is, the more friction it will take to hold the object in place. This will work for an angled scope or any object for that matter.

In order for this to work well the scope must be able to be adjusted relative to the pivot point, both front and back, and up and down. The front and back adjustment has a more drastic and more easily understood effect on balance, but the up and down adjustment will make your scope stable the farther off level it is. I am sure we have all had a scope or a camera take a nose dive when the tripod head was not thoroughly tightened. It is fine when it is level, because the center of mass is right over the pivot point. But when it creeps forward it gets to the tipping point and it takes off toward the ground. Conversely, if the pivot point is above the center of mass the scope would want to move toward level, hanging from the pivot point.

Of course when you switch from a plossl to that soup can sized Pentax zoom you may have to rebalance everything again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back