• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snypex Knight D-ED Binocular Review (1 Viewer)

I might point out that the crucial "Image Quality" score there of 9/10 seems to be an error. In the main text of the review it is 8/10. 10/10 and 9/10 by this reviewer (you can see all his reviews easily via that webpage) for this category are found in "alpha" or "near-alpha" models while 8/10 is pretty common. 8/10 alongsde the relevant main text is consistent with that text, especially relative to his 8/10 for the non-D (=Dielectric prism coating) model over which he sees no noticeable improvement (from memory).

I might point out that the crucial "Image Quality" score there of 9/10 seems to be an error. In the main text of the review it is 8/10. 10/10 and 9/10 by this reviewer (you can see all his reviews easily via that webpage) for this category are found in "alpha" or "near-alpha" models while 8/10 is pretty common. 8/10 alongsde the relevant main text is consistent with that text, especially relative to his 8/10 for the non-D (=Dielectric prism coating) model over which he sees no noticeable improvement (from memory).

Here is a review by Dan of the 10x42 http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=329802

"This binocular is quite impressive! Given its retail price of $680, it’s a great binocular that’s hard to compete with unless you spend $1000, in my humble opinion."

It's worth noting the reviewer thoughts when he awarded the Snypex as the "Best Wildlife/Hunting Binocular 2016" ... As good as the Snypex is, I have to mention that the Opticron DBA VHD 10x42 binoculars ran them very, very close.

Equal in just about every single department, for me it was a really tough choice to select an outright winner.

In the end it just came down to a few minor things like the metal focus wheel on the Snypex (although these Opticron's counter that with a lockable diopter positioned on the focus wheel!).

Interesting enough Steve C felt the Tract Toric was optically comparable with Opticron DBA VHD!

"I see what you mean about the similarity. I have not seen the BGA VHD nor the Verano HD. I did do a review on the double hinge DBA VHD, which I thought was a really nice binocular. That is pretty similar to where these fit optically.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back