• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have there been any cases of invasive species benefitting the places they've invaded? (1 Viewer)

Jack Speer

Have there been any cases of invasive species benefitting the places they've invaded? Or do they always cause harm?

For example, perhaps there is a species A that pollinates a plant B, but species A becomes extinct. Coincidentally around the same time there is a species C that humans have accidentally brought to the area. Species C happens to like the nectar that plant B has and begins pollinating plant B, thereby [partly] fulfilling species A's role in the ecosystem. Has something like this ever been documented?

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. It seems to be the most ecology-based forum here.

Jack

Well...introduced species can have all sort of impacts, some of which may be beneficial for some species while at the same time hurting other species.

Zebra mussels in the Great Lakes have been a new great food source for migrating/wintering scoters, leading to changes in their distribution. At the same time, they overfilter the water and reduce nutrients for in the water column, and impact the population of aquatic organisms.

my brain isn't running on full cylinders this morning, so I am trying to remember some specific examples of what you want. I do know they needed to bring in Turkeys to replace Dodos in the Mauritius, as one of the now endangered trees depended on their seeds passing through their crops.

Have there been any cases of invasive species benefitting the places they've invaded?

For the most part, probably buddleia in the UK?

I understand there are cases of it overgrowing some grassland habitats, but for the most part it seems to be welcomed, providing valuable nectar source for butterflies.

Rabbits in Britain? I could list a lot of species that benefit from them but I'd be pushed to identify something they threaten.

John

I think the problem is trying to use a concept like "benefit", which is essentially a subjective human value, to a place. To the Victorians, introducing British native species to e.g. New Zealand was beneficial as it made exotic locations feel more like home. Any change to an ecosystem, such as introduction of a non-native plant or animal, is going to provide a competitive advantage to some existing native species, and disadvantage to others.

Rabbits in the UK are a good example. They certainly benefit some native species, but who knows how many plants have become locally extinct through over-nibbling? Or what the impact has been on native birds and mammals due to the higher populations of e.g. Buzzards and Marsh Harriers they support?

Hi,
It may be confusion of terms. Definition of invasive is introduced species which is spreading too well and harmful.

Of introduced species, most cause harm. Minority is beneficial to some native species. Rabbit, brown hare and suchlike in Britain are examples, mostly because Britain is island ecosystem almost identical to continental Europe, but because of freak formation of English Channel many European species did not manage to colonize it after the last Ice Age.

Hasn't the Florida population of Snail Kite benefitted greatly from an invasive snail? A South American snail that South American populations of Snail Kite already ate a lot. Seem to recollect reading that somewhere.

One could argue that the introduction of House Sparrows and (feral) Rock Pigeons in much of the world has been mostly beneficial in that they occupy ecological niches in urban environments that native species would not. And these species don't seem to spread, at least significantly, into non-urban environments, so they are not displacing native species to a significant degree. They thus make the ecosystem more robust and diverse than it otherwise would be. (This assumes that native species would not occupy those niches; since we have limited information about the state of ecology before the introduction of these species, this would require study to confirm.)

Well...introduced species can have all sort of impacts, some of which may be beneficial for some species while at the same time hurting other species.

Zebra mussels in the Great Lakes have been a new great food source for migrating/wintering scoters, leading to changes in their distribution.

Similar things happend in European lakes, e.g. in the Lake of Constance (in Germany, Switzerland and Austria). The spread of introduced species like Zebra mussel and several others appear to have benefited wintering bird populations. Here an article, it's in German but there are several easy to understand grafics in there: https://www.bodensee-ornis.de/app/download/8370381195/Bauer_Werner_2012_Falke.pdf?t=1505128697

One could argue that the introduction of House Sparrows and (feral) Rock Pigeons in much of the world has been mostly beneficial in that they occupy ecological niches in urban environments that native species would not. And these species don't seem to spread, at least significantly, into non-urban environments, so they are not displacing native species to a significant degree. They thus make the ecosystem more robust and diverse than it otherwise would be. (This assumes that native species would not occupy those niches; since we have limited information about the state of ecology before the introduction of these species, this would require study to confirm.)

I can't speak for Rock Pigeons, but House Sparrows also have invaded more rural farm type settings and displaced native cavity nesting species.

There are certain "man-made" niches, which if a species confines itself too, probably won't do too much damage to the environment. House Geckos in Florida are an example, or the various parrot populations that have done well in warmer states due to all the exotic ornamental plants.

Back to comment 2 - I recall that the Dodo and Tambaloque Tree story has been at least partially discredited - young saplings which post-date the dodo's extinction have been found (although germination may be more likely if it has passed through a bird gut first - I think the turkeys were simply an experiment to test the idea)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back