• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian gull again! (1 Viewer)

Martin1989

Hi,

I'm back with a gull i think could be a Caspian.
This time photos are ugly, sorry...

I saw the bird today, in Western France.

The bird was obviously bigger in size than LBBG next to him.

Can anyone give his opinion on this one, even with those photos?

Eye was smaller and darker than LBBG's, and i saw clearly the pear-headshape with small beak.

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 114
The structure (small head, long primaries and long thin bill) does look good for a Caspian Gull as does the clean white head, mantle shade in comparison to nearby LBBGS and large p10 mirror.

However it is impossible to exclude a Herring or YLG from these pictures.

Though if I had a gun to my head I would call this a Caspian Gull...

appears to have a large all white p10 tip favouring caspian. but: it is close to impossible to ID a large gull from such a small pic.

You eyes are much better than mine if you can see that detail with any confidence from these photos ...
Mick

Thank you guys for your thoughts.
I think, even if you're careful, that we can assume this bird is a Capsian.
I'd the gut feeling this was a Caspian on the field, according to jizz, head-shape, wingtips, etc and i just needed a little confirmation !

Cheers !

I don't think you can really take the comments here as any sort of confirmation!

Can I ask how useful a character is a clean white head? I recognise that large gull ID tends to be based on a suite of variable characters, and absence of head streaking is considered to be one, but my experience here in Jersey is that plenty of Herring Gulls have clean white heads at this time of year, to the point that I don't consider it a useful feature. Am I wrong?!

Thank you guys for your thoughts.
I think, even if you're careful, that we can assume this bird is a Capsian.
I'd the gut feeling this was a Caspian on the field, according to jizz, head-shape, wingtips, etc and i just needed a little confirmation !

Cheers !

No.
You really can not "assume this bird is a Caspian".
You can not see any "tangible field marks", this bird is simply un-identifiable from these pictures.
I can not say it isn't a Caspian,but no-one can say that it is.
There is a big differance from having a gut feeling,to confidently identifying a Caspian Gull.

Pete.

I don't think you can really take the comments here as any sort of confirmation!

Can I ask how useful a character is a clean white head? I recognise that large gull ID tends to be based on a suite of variable characters, and absence of head streaking is considered to be one, but my experience here in Jersey is that plenty of Herring Gulls have clean white heads at this time of year, to the point that I don't consider it a useful feature. Am I wrong?!

Agree. I will be gull ringing at a landfill on Saturday (hopefully) and I am sure I will see HG with all of the features mentioned above (dark eye, white head, large p10 mirror, long legs, etc. even assuming they are actually features of this bird in reality and not photo artefacts as I cannot with certainty see them) although perhaps not always in the same bird. I think this gull is unidentifiable from these photos alone, and although it is possible it is Caspian, it is also (more?) likely it is a HG - given the relative abundance.

I am not trying to question the views of the experts above, just suggesting you (the OP not DMW!) are reading more into their replies than is merited on the current evidence.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back