• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski extender? (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Just wondering would Swarovski introduce an extender the same as Leica have done for their scopes?

Personally I would be very interested in one as I'm finding 50x on the wide eyepiece with the 80hd not enough mag in a lot of situations.
I did have a 20-60x eyepiece but I found the view at 60x too narrow and dull.
Although the view with an extender would have to be usable and not akin to looking through a pinhole.

Or would Swarovski not bring out one as it might eat into sales of the 95ATX with its 70x magnification?

Opinions appreciated.

Regards Gerard.

I hope they will but if it will happen it should be for the X series...
If they want to compete directly with Leica they probably will go for a 1.5x extender but I wouldn't mind if it was a bit higher...o:D

an extender will always be a compromise,

an extender on the ATX 65mm swaro would be a bit to much I think,
but the 85 and 95mm modules might work,

a 2x extender will not compete with the 95mm module,
but a 1.4x might, (if you have an 85mm)

even though the leica extender looked ok on the 82mm,
I think that IQ might be an issue for swaro,
just ok IQ is not enough,

A 1.4x extender on the A/STX series would give 84x on the 85 and 100x on the 95, which in my view are pretty close to optimum maximum magnifications for their apertures for daytime viewing with very good optics. Exit pupil would be about 1.0mm. The 65mm X scope, or any other 65mm scope for that matter, already pretty much maxes out at 60x, so an extender is not needed or useful with one.

I agree with David that the X series is a better candidate than the -TS/M series. The latter has an excellent 20-60x zoom, which does some of what an extender would, in an equally easily swapped package.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back