• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites poisoned (1 Viewer)

And 2 Red Kites have been found poisoned in Wicklow in recent weeks:C - the vulnerability of these birds to the actions of a handfull of scumbags is going to present a huge challenge to all the Irish raptor projects for years to come:-C

Some more details have emerged about this case - it increasingly appears that these kites died of secondry poisoning via the consumptiom of contaminated rodents. Its not 100% sure yet but I think its probably the most likely case given the time of year and the area they were found in. North County Dublin has alot of ware-house complexes, potatoes farms etc. which at this time of year can suffer heavy rodent infestation. Unfortunatly its likely the kites consumed rodents that had been poisoned in and around these areas - a common hazard for a number of raptors like Kestrels, Barn owls etc.:(

Some more details have emerged about this case - it increasingly appears that these kites died of secondry poisoning via the consumptiom of contaminated rodents. Its not 100% sure yet but I think its probably the most likely case given the time of year and the area they were found in. North County Dublin has alot of ware-house complexes, potatoes farms etc. which at this time of year can suffer heavy rodent infestation. Unfortunatly its likely the kites consumed rodents that had been poisoned in and around these areas - a common hazard for a number of raptors like Kestrels, Barn owls etc.:(

Yeah, I found a long eared owl chick that probably died as a result of secondary poisoning recently... Pity.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back