• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for creating a map of locations (1 Viewer)

Marys1000

For awhile I've had this idea of putting all the US National Wildlife refuges, Important Bird Areas, National and State parks on a map, like Google Earth then add in other important places in order to determine where I might like to retire. Things like VA centers, college towns.

Would I need to buy a more professional version of Google Earth?

How hard would this be? I don't feel I need, or at least wouldn't always need I guess it would depend, on the whole outline of a place. Maybe a pin would suffice.

Is there a way to do this? I've played around with GE a little and get frustrated. Haven't really found a manual for saving groups of places in one "file" or what I would consider a "layer" but I'm thinking that word has a different meaning in computer speak. (Obviously I'm not much of a computer person here).

I'd even try to hire it done but I suspect I'm not going to be able to give someone enough direction and a non birder will want a list of all the bird sites or something in which case I'm not sure how much farther ahead I'd be of me trying to do it myself?

Any tips, advice appreciated.

Have you played around with the maps available at ebird.org? I am here especially thinking of the hotspot explorer, where color coding tell you how many species have been seen at each location.

Niels

You can do this in Google maps using the "My Maps" feature. If I recall correctly, you can even have multiple layers, and toggle the display of what you want at any one time. I don't know if you can create maps on the phone/tablet app, but you can on the desktop/browser version of maps.

https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3024396?hl=en

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back