• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EAST coast USA migration (1 Viewer)

Hi Ashley,

Fo me the best site is nycbirdreport.com - they have a list of what is seen each day or over the year at a few NYC sites - if you click into it you will be able to see calanders for particular birds. Living just north of NYC I use this as a rough guide to what is coming up (in spring) and roughly what time birds will be showing up on their way south. That's the only site I know of that has that level of detail.

Hope that is of use - Luke

Excellent, Ashley! I'd been thinking of asking exactly the same question - and quite possibly for exactly the same reason (to predict what American birds we should go out and look for over here!)

Luke: Thanks very much for the link. The "expectations" sections look very helpful. I'd always wondered what the typical dates for your different species' migrations are.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, wouldn't it be great if all you east coast US birders posted your daily migration reports or weekly summaries here? Rather a lot of work, I suspect, but I'm sure some of us over here would be fascinated.

Bluetail said:
...At the risk of hijacking the thread, wouldn't it be great if all you east coast US birders posted your daily migration reports or weekly summaries here? Rather a lot of work, I suspect, but I'm sure some of us over here would be fascinated.

Practically all the states in the USA have an electronic mailing list dedicated to birding in that state as well as a Rare Bird Alert (phone) that also gets posted in either those lists or in special RBA lists. Usually one has to sign-up in order to get the mailings but there is one Web site that collects all of those lists (but does not archive them, only a couple of weeks of messages at most are available at anytime). This is Jack Siler's site

http://birdingonthe.net/

There you will find, for example, the Cape May Bird Observatory RBAs and many others.

Dalcio

Last edited:
Ah someone else spotted my plan! Thanks for the site advice people, I'll be checking them out to predict the next US bird over here, although Purple Martin wasn't one I expected.

Also check http://massbird.org/ for Massachusetts birding, rare bird alerts, recent sitings, checklists and so on.

Monomoy on the Cape and Parker River NWR are not to be missed this time of year. I was at Parker River last week and in one 4-minute period shot 27 pics yielding 7 keepers. Nothing rare, but nice shots just the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back