• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for one handed use? (1 Viewer)

CMB

United States
What type, style, brand, size, etc. would people recommend if someone needed a pair of bins to use with one hand?

Are there bins where the IPD can be locked so they don't slip?

Thanks

I frequently use my Leica bins one-handed (because of dog on lead in other hand) - fine for a short time, but too heavy to keep steady for more than a minute at a time. Much would depend upon reasons and strength of the arm. I've seen a couple of Dutch birders who mount their bins on a flat piece of wood with a handle at 90 degrees in the middle of the base, but a second hand would be needed for focussing - the roof prism Leicas can be held and focussed with a one-handed grasp. Size of hand and length of fingers would be other considerations.

I think some Leupold Gold Ring bins have an IPD lock.

Vortex (not Eagle Optics as I first posted) make a little plastic thing that attches to the tripod adaptor bolt to lock the IPD.

I would think, in general, open bridge bins may give you the best opportunity for a solid one handed grip. A smaller, lower magnification bin might also help shake.

Last edited:
Canon IS ( Image Stabilisation ) bins.
Models 8x25, 10x30 and 12x36 especially, because the button to engage the stabilisation is in the center just behind the focusing wheel.
The bigger models 10x42 L, 15x50 and 18x50 are too heavy for one-handed use and the IS button is not placed centrally, so they are not an option.

Regards, Ronald

Of the Swarovski's I found the open-bridged EL 8x32 easy to hold with one hand.
But you could get all three Canons for less than the price of the one Swaro.

The best binocular I've found for one hand use is the Nikon 8x32 LX L. They cost about $800±. Once the IPD is set, I've found that it doesn't change in use because of the nature of the design. Note in the picture that the focus wheel is elevated and falls under the index finger of either hand. The wheel also has no dead zone and focuses near to far in a flick. It's also a world class optic with a beautiful view. It would be worth considering.

Ed

Attachments

• Nikon 8x32 LXL standg.jpg
    Nikon 8x32 LXL standg.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 68
In nonIS bins, I can one-hand the Swarovski 8x32 EL better than any other. The wrap-around grip allows me to relax my hand, which minimizes shake, and mine has a silky smooth focus control that my fingers naturally fall over.

--AP

CMB,

I'll second two of the opinions above, KorHaan's recommendation of the Canon IS binoculars, and Alexis's recommendation of the Swarovski 8x32 EL. I use the bigger Canon, the 10x42 IS L, and while it is too heavy to use one-handed for any extended lengths of time, the advantage of image-stabilization on what you can see, which is significant enough with two hands holding, becomes almost stupidly large if you need to use just one hand. Also, although the IPD does not lock in the Canons, the mechanism of it with a single-body and two twistable eyepiece assemblies is such that it really does not ever move on its own - at least it hasn't for me.

The Swaro 8x32 is an ergonomic delight, at least if you don't have very big hands and/or very narrow IPD. Like Alexis, I found it really easy and natural to hold, and while with the 42mm EL's I thought Swaro's marketing pitch on one-handed usability was pretty far-fetched, with the 32mm models it didn't feel like an exaggeration.

The Nikon 8x32 that Ed recommends is also very good, but does not fit the hand quite as well as the Swaro. Also, some units I have seen have had a pretty loose central hinge. The focus, on the other hand, is even smoother and easier for one-finger operation than the Swaro.

Kimmo

Just to confuse the issue, my 2.5 cents worth: Nikon HGL (LXL) 8x32 I used to have, but I didn´t find them easy to "one-hand". Canon IS 12x36 I have, and love, but not really as "one-hand" bins either; they´re light, but just a little too chunky for one hand. (The IS is a winner, though). Swarovski EL 8x32 I also have, and they are a delight in one hand; they feel like a natural extension of my arm. Swaro EL 8.5x42 I also have, and I agree with Kimmo that calling them "one-hand" bins is pushing it a bit (although with two hands, they are much brighter and a good deal sharper than their little cousin. You can see from the picture that my daughter also reckons they´re "two-handers"). All that said, it depends very much on your hand, don´t take anyone else´s word for it. If you have the big hands and firm grip of a docker, you might find an open-bridge 42mm fine. (My hands fyi are medium-sized in gloves, rather thin and dainty!) You really need to try contenders yourself, because only your grip will tell you what´s right for you.

P.S. - None of the above have lockable diopter, but none of them need it because they never slip.

Last edited:
Thank you all very very much for the responses.

I had not thought of the Canon IS bins, but that makes sense.

I understand about a split bridge design being easy to grip and hang onto.

A mid-size pair sounds good in terms of weight versus resolution/magnification.

You all have given me some good recommendations to start with. Thank you.

CMB,

My first thoughts mirror those of Alexis' and Kimmo's.The Swaro 32 EL would probably be my first choice for a one handed bin....followed closely by the Meopta 32 mm. Ergonomics plays a big part with both of those bins.

Also, though it escapes me right now I do partly remember reading about one of the newer bins which offered an IPD lock....Bushnell Legend Ultras maybe?

I think the Bushnell Legend Ultra-HD (damn, that's a dumb name!) will have locking diopter (another new feature at $300).

Another suggestion is the Bushnell Elite.

Nice view though perhaps a bit less than the alphas but it is cheaper. Light open bridge at 23oz so it feels more like a big 8x32 compact than a full size bin. But it is 8x43 so it has a large exit pupil so lining it up with the eye is a bit easier. Minimal armor keeps the weight down and makes a wrap around grip possible. But ... I think they may have changed the armor on the most recent version to make the wrap around grip less easy.

I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and so I sent away for the Vortex IPD Binoc-loc. I will install it on my car binocular (8 x 42 Vortex Diamondback) and see how it works. Report to follow in a week or so after I get it.
Bob

What type, style, brand, size, etc. would people recommend if someone needed a pair of bins to use with one hand?

Are there bins where the IPD can be locked so they don't slip?

Thanks

Another one to consider if price and especially weight is an issue would be the Zeis 8x30 Conquest. They are 17.46 oz and can be had NIB on *bay for $375 . However, the downside is a focus knob that is stiffer than many.

Jim

Another one to consider if price and especially weight is an issue would be the Zeis 8x30 Conquest. They are 17.46 oz and can be had NIB on *bay for $375 . However, the downside is a focus knob that is stiffer than many.

Jim

I think that stiffness is a unit to unit variation. I've seen others make similar comments but my one doesn't have the problem. Perhaps I got lucky ;)

But it is lightweight (the lightest decent compact bin?)

Last edited:
Thank you all very very much for the responses.

I had not thought of the Canon IS bins, but that makes sense.

I understand about a split bridge design being easy to grip and hang onto.

A mid-size pair sounds good in terms of weight versus resolution/magnification.

You all have given me some good recommendations to start with. Thank you.
A word of warning: on my Canon IS 12x36, the diopter was inclined to move. So I taped it round with a little Duct-Tape. (Some problems in life call for solutions involving Communication, Patience, Understanding etc. But I reckon most can be fixed with Duct-Tape). These 12x36 are still among my favourite bins, and because of the IS feature I can pick out more detail than with any others, as long as the object is farther away. Downside...mag is too high, and FOV too low, for woods, the garden, etc. Optics are not "alpha" grade, a bit "flary" and less bright. One-handing with them is a bit of a challenge.

But I also had, for a while, Canon IS 8x25 but I really couldn´t get on with them. IMHO, compared to their bigger cousins, they were plasticky, fiddly/awkward to hold, and the image "drifted". It was impossible to "pan" without constantly re-focussing. It may have been the unit I got, but I did send them back for a replacement which was no better.

In any case, good luck with your choice and let us know what it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back