• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow Buntings ??? (1 Viewer)

chris3871

Explorer Extraordinaire
Last Winter/ Spring, ( February I think ) we saw what I thought to be a large flock of snow bunting,on the east coast of Lincolnshire at Donna Nook. The birds were roughly greenfinch proportions, pale coloured and flew as a large flock ( 40ish? ) often landing on the beach. Thye certainly looked like Snow Buntings but what is the likeliness considering the location? Cheers.

They were being reported from that site in good numbers early this year, so quite possible - having just checked it seems that flock was upto 200 bird in Feb this year - that would be a great sight.

Difficult to confuse Snow Buntings with anything else at all likely to be here. I am envious, most I've ever seen is 11 at one time.

Called in at Donna Nook last winter after travelling over to see the Grimsby American Robin.

We saw around 150 Snow Bunting and around 30 - 40 Shore Lark. If you saw the birds in flight you will have had no doubt if they were Snow Buntings - but if not you might have seen the Shorelarks?

Thanks everyone for the reply. I was fairly certain they were snow buntings but just recently heard some stuff that made me wonder. I'm fairly sure they were just snow buntings, but next time i'll keep an eye out for the shore larks.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back