• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaxy WDM03 12x56ED A high power budget alternative (1 Viewer)

613Orm

I was trying to post this text as a product review, but I did not manage. I try to add it as a binocular forum post instead. In any case, I just want to make you aware of what value for money there is to be found if one chose to go directly to the (in most cases Chinese) OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) producer.

As a complement to my regular use of a 8x32 Zeiss Conquest HD combined with a Brunton Eterna 80ED 30x Wide spotting scope I felt I wanted to try the concept of just having a powerful binocular on days when I do not need/want to carry my spotting scope. I made a sweep of the market for 12x56 and 12x50 binoculars. It is a segment with not so many offers. It was soon clear that the Leica and Swarovski 12x50’s are way over my budget. They could only serve as reference in comparisons with cheaper binos, i.e. to see if one strikes a bargain. Interestingly I did not really find anything of interest in the upper mid-price range. Kowa has a new 12x56 for about 650E, but going through its specs and design I noticed a striking similarity with the 260E Barr and Stroud 12x56 Savannah ED. Considering that most, if not all, low-to upper mid-price range binoculars are made in China, I was contemplating why it should not be possible to buy directly from the Chinese producer of the various brand OEM. I came, thus, in contact with the Chinese binocular producer Jaxy. One of their top model products is the WDM03 12x56ED [It exists also in 8x and 10x, but I find these less competitive in the specs of FOV, but they may nevertheless be of interest for someone that needs binos with great low-light performance). After some email conversation with a very kind, helpful and polite sales person at Jaxy I ordered the 12x model. I chose to pay via PayPal, and shipping was with delivery company and took 5 days from China to Spain. I paid about 230 USD in total for binoculars and shipping (but as I have seen the price vary up to 400USD on their web page, I think it is best to contact Jaxy sales dept directly for correct price). To this was eventually added a 27E import/handling fee by Spain that had to be paid to the delivery company upon receipt of the item.
For a 12x binocular to be useful it must have pretty good light gathering (and/or transmission) as well as a good FOV (No use trying to spot birds at the end of a dark tunnel). The Jaxy has 56mm objective lenses, and fully multicoated (incl. dielectric prism coating), phase corrected, BAK4 ED glass. This provides for a bright, crisp, image. The FOV is 96m at 1000m, which is the same as the Kowa and B&S Savannah ED (which I understood from Jaxy is their brand OEM in just a different rubber coating). The FOV is slightly less than the 100m for Leica and Swarovski, but significantly better than the around 80-85m offered by most other of the few alternatives that I could find. I find the 96m FOV fully to my satisfaction. I do not use glasses so I am free to elaborate a little with the positions of the eyecups. The high quality, rubber coated metal eyecups have three very distinct standard positions (down, middle, and fully extended). However, I noticed that I got the best “image” experience if I twisted down the eyecups to halfway between fully extended and the middle position, and still without an kidney bean effect. But I then had to lock the eyecups in that position in some way. First I did this with common rubber bands, but then I bought a pair of Field Optics Research winged eye guards that after some slight trimming fit perfectly in the slot between the rubber of the eyecup and the binocular. This may not be an option, or even needed, for an eyeglass wearer.
CA can be disturbing in high power binoculars, but possibly due to the use of ED glass in the Jaxy I only notice some slight CA along the periphery and in very rare, extreme cases in the central area equal to the sweet spot. I´d say the CA is better controlled than in my Zeiss Conquest HD.
The sharpness sweet spot is good, in fact comparable to my Conquest, and I am very satisfied with the general sharpness of the Jaxy. It is definitely in par with my Zeiss, notwithstanding the difficulties of comparing 12x with 8x). As in my Conquest, and in my experience from many other quality binoculars, the sweet spot of the Jaxy reaches almost to the edge in horizontal direction of the FOV, but maybe to 70% of the center to edge distance in vertical direction. The view in the Jaxy is rather flat and I do not notice any disturbing distortion (bending of lines like for instance trees) towards the sides of the FOV. But most amazing of all I do find the near complete absence of glare and reflexes. I can point the Jaxy straight in the direction of the sun and I cannot even provoke the appearance of disturbing reflexes! This is very nice when nature and birdwatching in the strong evening light here in Spain. I can see a bird in perfect contrast and color when sitting in a bush right in front of the sun. This is not even to think about with my Zeiss Conquest HD, the whole image haze out in that same position [Not sure if the smaller objective diameter of the Zeiss is here to their disadvantage]
The color of the image is in my opinion even more correct than in my Conquest, which I find tend slightly to go towards green. Possibly, there is instead a very slight tendency towards red in the Jaxy, only noticeable when there is much red light available (i.e., at sunset/sunrise).
Mechanically I find the Jaxy to be very well made. They do not feel cheap in any way. Jaxy produce binoculars to some armed forces and obviously know how to make them robust. The WDM03 is their top of the line product. The interior of the tubes is black and ribbed to reduce reflections, and I could not detect any dust. The rubber coating is black, and rather thin and smooth. It resembles that of my Conquest. However, as structure in the rubber Jaxy are using some Chinese symbols (That according to the sales person refer to a Chinese proverb saying something about having a clear view of the far distance). The focus screw is one of the smoothest and most precise I have felt, in par with my Conquest. The diopter correction is made with a notched ring just in front of the focus wheel. I have found this to be very convenient as it seems the diopter needs rather frequent, albeit small, corrections. Usually these corrections mean a slight push in one direction combined with a quick pull back to the previous position, basically just a small poking of the notch on the ring. Not sure why it is like that, but after some time it does now not disturb me anymore. A shifting diopter is certainly a big minus, but is saved by the convenient position of the diopter ring and the fact that it is actually not really drifting, it just has to get a little poke (A friend of mine has recently bought the same model of Jaxy. I will see if he has the same experience, or if it is just my specimen). The shape of the binoculars is very compact for a pair of 56mm. They are a bit on the heavy side with 1152g (about 100g more than the 12x50 Swaros and Leicas, but the same as the Kowa and B&S)
I have relatively steady hands, but I have noticed the view gets significantly mush sharper when applying some kind of “finn stick”. I am myself using a detachable monopod. On the upper end I have a quick release attached to a tripod adapter on the binocular, and the lower end I sink into a leather cup I have attached to my belt. It gives a very steady image and reduces fatigue in the arms.
In summary, for anyone that wants to try to spot birds with a 12x binocular of high optical and mechanical quality, but does not want to spend a fortune in doing so, then I strongly advice to give these Jaxy a try. They are no Leica or Swarovskis, but I actually find them to be optically and mechanically so good that they are satisfactory even for a demanding observer. They are certainly very high value for money.

Specifications from Jaxy
Model NO. WDM03 12X56
ED Glass BK4
Magnification 12X
Prism Coating PHC Yes
Objective 56mm
Lens Coating FMC Yes
Close Focus 3m
Roof Prism Construction Yes
Exit pupil 4.7mm
Adjustable Eyecups Yes
Eye Relief 16mm
Nitrogen Filled Yes
Focusing System Center
Waterproof Yes(Immersion tested
1m for 5mins)

Field of view(at 1000m/1000yds) 96m/288ft
Diopter Compensation -4~+4
Eyepiece Lens 8 pieces 6 groups
Interpupillary Distance 56mm~74mm
Brightness 22.09
Weight 1152g
Twilight rate 25.92
Dimensions 16.3x14.8x6.6cm

Resolution ≤3.8"
Field of Angle 5.5°

Last edited:
I have the Barr and Stroud Savannah 12×56 ED that I use for astronomy and I like it a lot. It is remarkably short for such a binocular, but performs well. and the specifications are the same as you give.

However, it is not, I think as rugged or as good as the Conquest 10×42 HD.

I also have a professionally refurbished 10×56 similar, but different name, binocular without ED glass, but this has a disturbingly bad focuser that is rough and moves the two different optics differently creating focusing problems all the time. I'm pretty sure the focusing arrangement on these binoculars is not as good as with the Conquest 10×42 HD.

Last edited:
I understood from Jaxy that they produce the B&S Savannah (both ED and non ED) and that it is to great extent the same binocular as the WDM03. However, they said that there can be differences in the exterior design (rubber coating, focus wheel etc). Jaxy are quite proud of the WDM03 as their flagship model. Maybe they have put in a little extra when "tightening the screws". I have not had the chance to make a side by side comparison between the Savannah ED and the WDM03 ED. It would be interesting. I have good experince of the B&S Sierra line (But that I think is another Chinese producer, not Jaxy). I also would like to know if there is any noticeable difference between the Jaxy and the new Kowa 12x56 for three times the price (and who actually makes the Kowa. I asked Jaxy but I did not get a clear answer. They just said that "all 12x56 are basically the same".

Hi 6130rm,
I would take with a pinch of salt, the statement that all 12×56 binoculars are the same. They aren't.

If the Kowa 12×56 is one of their more expensive binoculars, I think that it would be considerably better than yours or mine, at least in the long term. Kowa are one of the best makers, at least at the top end of their range. I suppose that they could be selling a budget line that is actually the same as yours, more or less.

Incidentally, when you were testing your 12x56, if it was in the daytime, where you using the full aperture or was it actually stopped down by your pupil size to maybe 40 mm or less. That would make a great difference to what you would actually see.

I didn't pay much more than you paid, although I bought mine perhaps two years or more ago. And I just ordered it over the telephone.

RM,

Many thanks for your report. I had a very brief look at the Kowas BD56-10 and 12x at the UK BirdFair last summer. It was far better than their SV12x50 but I found the level of CA disappointing for 660 Euro binoculars. I'd call that kind of performance a bargain at 225Euro. Congratulations!

David

Last edited:
Hi!
I have been using the Jaxy now for about three months in various weather and light conditions. I have used it for both far and near birdwatching, i.e., anything between vultures at hundreds of meters distance, shore birds, to small birds in bushes only a couple of meters away (the Jaxy has pretty good close focus with 3m), and I have used it for searching for wolves and deer in very low light early mornings. Not sure what my pupil size has been at these occasions, but I am very satisfied with the performance of the binoculars also in low-light conditions. I have owned, still own, or had/have direct access to several good quality binoculars (a.o. Swarovski Habicht 7x42 and 7x42SL, Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt T*P*, Swarovski 8x30SLC, Bushnell Ultra HD 10x36, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and 10x42, Leica 10x25 Ultravid) plus had the joy to have had the opportunity to compare with friends' "alfas" from Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. I would place the Jaxy WDM03 12x56ED somewhere in the upper mid-level in quality and optical performance (the diopter thing can be due to a known, minor problem I have with one eye, that does not show in my use of lower powered binos, but maybe comes out in the 12x a bit more. I mentioned the diopter issue because I wanted to be very picky in my review). High powered binoculars like 12x more easily suffer from CA, but I would say that I have seen less problem with the CA in my 12x Jaxy than I do in my 8x Conquest HD or most of the other ones I listed (note that they are the level below the alfas), and I have really tried to provoke it with black birds against sky, TV antennas, tree branches etc etc. The Conquest HD 10x42 is, in my opinion, a little bit better in most aspects than my 8x32 (but less portable). Of the Conquest HD I have tried I rate the 10x42 the highest, then the 8x32, and last the 8x42 that I find do not have good enough FOV and "image feeling" (more of tunnel vision) for a pair of 8x. I am therefore not suprised if Binastro finds his 10x42 Conquest HD to be better than the Savannah. How the Savannah ED stands against the Jaxy I do not know, only what Jaxy said. I would like to get the chance to compare them with the by specs and appearance so very similar Kowa BD 12x56 XP Prominar. Interesting to hear that it has such an obvious CA problem. as said, I do not feel this with the Jaxy. But CA can be such a difficult thing to evaluate, the perception varies from person to person. Only direct comparison at the same spot and occasion may tell.

Hi 6130rm,
. The 12×56 Savannah that I use gives almost identical results for my eyes as your 12×56. I find it to be a very good binocular and I was surprised by the lack of chromatic aberration as it is so short and maybe is working with fast objectives.

The 10×56 is I think a Helios and may or may not come from the same factory.
But I think that there have been up to 5 or six different upgraded models of this.
It may be that the 12 x 56 Savannah has mainly conquered the problems of focusing.

I have tried the full range of 10 times, 12 times, 15 times, and 20 times, 50 mm monoculars, which are available in an amazing number of different names, although I believe they are all the same. They come in the same boxes and clearly from the same factory.
Although the field of view measured is exactly as marked, the focusing on nearly all of them I find to be rough and sticky. In addition the star images in most of them are not very good, and although they are useful monoculars they do not seem to be built to high standards and have quality-control issues.

I'm not sure if it was from the same factory but one of the optics I had had fungus in it when it was bought brand-new even though it was described as waterproof.

It does seem that some of the Chinese factories do get to grips with the problems they have, and I do think that the 12 x 56 Savannah is a very good binocular, which I like using. It has about 5.5° field, which is a useful improvement over the Canon 18×50 which has a 3.85° field.
So if I'm searching for something, I might use the 12 x 56 Savannah rather than the higher powered binocular.

The point I'm making about the 10×42 Conquest HD is that it is a very fine binocular with fine optics, that I believe will stand up to heavy use better than the 12×56 Savannah, although I don't know this for certain.
I'm pretty certain though that the 12×56 Savannah could not take the same abuse as the conquest HD, by being dragged behind a large four-wheel-drive vehicle, being dropped off maybe a 10 m tower and being shot at with various shotguns.
The Conquest HD still worked but I'm not sure whether the 12×56 Savannah would work.

But yes, for the price if you get a good one I think that they are excellent.
Also they are probably lighter weight than some of the top quality 12×56. And I'm all for lighter weight in these types of binoculars.

Yeah, the youtube video of the hard test of the Conquest HD is amazing. However, it is the contracted people themselves in the video that state that the binos survived the treatment. Everything is relative. I think if I did this to my own Conquest I would probably find them optically less than whT I find as useful.
It would be fun to compare the Savannah with the Jaxy someday to see if really the same in different dress.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back