• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wisconsin USA (1 Viewer)

Chris1973

Pictures from this morning. I think the first is a female Blackburnian Warbler.

Thanks! ;)

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 055_01.jpg
    055_01.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 137.jpg
    137.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 62
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 47
#1 Female Blackburnian Warbler (lightly marked)
#4 & 5 Willow/Alder Flycatcher

#2 is strange. With a smaller bill and minus that black at the back of the head, connecting the upper black area with the lower black area, it would be a Black-capped Chickadee. It will be interesting to hear other comments on this bird.
#3 Not quite enough for me to call.

Second is a Great Tit . . . was that pic really taken in Wisconsin?? If yes, presumably an escape, I can't see it being a natural vagrant from Europe!

2 is a Great Tit. No idea what it's doing in Wisconsin as it's a Eurasian species.

No wonder I was even more stumped than usual. It's not even in my field guide. I checked ebird and there are other sightings here. Some "special" person must have decided to release them or let them escape....

Apparently there is a small (feral?) population of Great Tits in eastern Wisconsin near Lake Michigan. They have been seen between Milwaukee and Manitowoc. There was one seen just two weeks ago near Sheboygan. How they got there originally is anyone's guess.

Mike

Last edited:
Apparently there is a small (feral?) population of Great Tits in eastern Wisconsin near Lake Michigan. They have been seen between Milwaukee and Manitowoc. There was one seen just two weeks ago near Sheboygan. How they got there originally is anyone's guess.

Interesting. How far back in time do the sightings go?

Apparently there is a small (feral?) population of Great Tits in eastern Wisconsin near Lake Michigan.

This one was seen congregating with a large group of Black-capped Chickadees. That must be how they survived this harsh winter we just had.

This one was seen congregating with a large group of Black-capped Chickadees. That must be how they survived this harsh winter we just had.
They're native across a good chunk of Siberia. Cold tolerance won't be a problem!

I'd guess it has the potential to be a serious invasive species causing problems for other local native birds in the future.

I wonder about the Great Tit, because it´s illegal to catch this species here how would someone in the US be able to keep it as pet?

@Nutcracker: Why do English/American/Australian people every time consider something as good or bad? I don´t see a reason to catastrophise. Birds are increasing their natural range here because of e.g. global warming. I didn´t here in my area once that it´s now required to kill all shellducks or Black-winged stilts. They didn´t appear when I was a kid and they are food competitors of Northen Shovelers or Redshanks. Right contrary everyone is enjoing them because of their colorful plumage or gracile movement. Just some notes to think about......

Natural range extension, as with Little Egret and Dartford Warbler in the UK, and the slow westward spread of Red-flanked Bluetail and Citrine Wagtail in mainland Europe is part oc the ebb and flow in all amimal distribution. Introducing a species from a different avifauna, such as Great Tit to Nthn America, where it will compete with native species is a totally different thing. While these Great Tit may be like Eur Tree Sparrow around St. Louis, and not spread beyond a limited area they also have the potential to spread like House Sparrow or Common Starling. If we are to preserve our wildlife it's best not to introduce potential competitors on top of wrecking the environment.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back