• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars Rec -- Lightweight for ~$200 (1 Viewer)

Hi all, first post. I need to pick up some binos for an upcoming trip and don't have a lot of time to research -- please help me out.

Cap is low $200s, so no Zeiss or Swarovski. I often end up deep in the mountains backpacking, so I want something lightweight + compact and durable with good low light capabilities.

My little research thus far led me to the Leupold BX-2 Acadia 8 X 42 or Nikon Prostaff 7S 8 X 30 or 10 X 4. I also see that there are a lot of Bushnells in the price range. I'm open to used binos, but in my camera lenses, I have tended towards new, multi-coated stuff for the low light improvements.

Please lend me your expertise for a moment.

:hi:Hi Cal,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

People ask for binoculars like this a lot.

Usually they have to compromise on something. Take a look at the Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky. It is within your price range and it looks a lot like this 9x32 Pentax which I can vouch for. It weighs 17 ounces. The 8x32 Sightron should be a little brighter.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-bc-9x32-binocular

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-blue-sky-8x32-binoculars-rubber-armored.html

There is a big thread about this sightron binocular here on Bird Forum, which I see is linked in the post above this one.

Bob

Last edited:
Took a look at the sightron -- looks like a solid option with a lot of great reviews. Another one that I'm seeing a lot of recs for is the Steiner Military Marine 8X30. If anyone has a comparison of the two that would help. Still wondering a little about the Leupolds just because i like their scopes.

For a lightweight bino in your price range, I would also have to (highly) recommend the Sightron SII 8x30. It is a very good performer that weighs under 18 oz.. Another very good bino is the Leupold Yosemtie and Vortex Raptor near-clones. These can often be found on sale for just over $100. IIRC these weigh less than 20 oz..

I wouldn't recommend the lower-priced Leupolds to someone who could afford the Sightron. However, you might consider the Cabela's Guide Series 8x32, which is the same binocular as the Leupold Mojave. Although it's normal price is above your budget, I would bet that they will be on sale at some point over the next five weeks. Normal price is $249. These are a really nice little set of binos that offers an optical experience similar to the SII, but goes about it in a much different fashion.

Took a look at the sightron -- looks like a solid option with a lot of great reviews. Another one that I'm seeing a lot of recs for is the Steiner Military Marine 8X30. If anyone has a comparison of the two that would help. Still wondering a little about the Leupolds just because i like their scopes.

The Steiner is a individual focus eyepiece which is okay for hunting at fixed ranges but may be a lot slower to use on the spur of the moment, and has a minimum focus of 65 feet which is way on out there.

I would also say the Leupold Yosemites. My 6X yosemites are among my favorites.

All, thanks again for all the advice. I really like the Sightron, but I see that it is not nitrogen-filled. Do you all think that that matters?

If so, and if I wanted a nitrogen filled binocular, what would you suggest? I see the Vanguard ED and Eagle Optics options are nitrogen filled. I also see that some more expensive Sightron's have that feature. I might be willing to up my price limit if that's the right option.

One other model that I was looking at that seems pretty affordable: the Vortex Diamondback 8X32
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...8x32-binocular

Thanks again.

Last edited:
All, thanks again for all the advice. I really like the Sightron, but I see that it is not nitrogen-filled. Do you all think that that matters?

If so, and if I wanted a nitrogen filled binocular, what would you suggest? I see the Vanguard ED and Eagle Optics options are nitrogen filled. I also see that some more expensive Sightron's have that feature. I might be willing to up my price limit if that's the right option.

One other model that I was looking at that seems pretty affordable: the Vortex Diamondback 8X32
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...8x32-binocular

Thanks again.

It's waterproof, I wouldnt consider it an issue whether it was N2 or not but if I were betting I would bet it is N2 purged.

Vanguard Spirit ED and Endeavor ED $50 rebates ended on 12/1/14. Those were very good deals.

Very good deal for very bad glass... The Spirit are plenty of CA for a supposed ED glass :C... The Sightron BSII are much better !

+1 : the BSII are waterproof (N2 or argon... it's not a problem)

Very good deal for very bad glass... The Spirit are plenty of CA for a supposed ED glass :C... The Sightron BSII are much better !

+1 : the BSII are waterproof (N2 or argon... it's not a problem)

Dadra,

I know yours is not the only complaint that the Spirit ED or the Endeavour ED have high CA, but from my perspective the samples I've tried I'd consider good for the price in that regard and I know others are quite happy. I suspect we are both right and there are high and low CA samples in their production. We know that Vanguard has chosen to use Japanese Hoya super-ED glass for the Endeavour EDII. I'd speculate it might have been because they were unhappy with the quality of their original supply but it could be other reasons. Just judging from the comments on the forum it sounds like the majority of owners are happy, but it's something to watch out for.

I really don't think this is an issue particular to Vanguard. I believe I've seen differences in CA in a number of Chinese made ED models but never seen enough of each model to be totally convinced. It seems plausible that some companies would use the same glass manufacturer but there could be any number of other factors involved.

David

Dadra,

I know yours is not the only complaint that the Spirit ED or the Endeavour ED have high CA, but from my perspective the samples I've tried I'd consider good for the price in that regard and I know others are quite happy. I suspect we are both right and there are high and low CA samples in their production. We know that Vanguard has chosen to use Japanese Hoya super-ED glass for the Endeavour EDII. I'd speculate it might have been because they were unhappy with the quality of their original supply but it could be other reasons. Just judging from the comments on the forum it sounds like the majority of owners are happy, but it's something to watch out for.

I really don't think this is an issue particular to Vanguard. I believe I've seen differences in CA in a number of Chinese made ED models but never seen enough of each model to be totally convinced. It seems plausible that some companies would use the same glass manufacturer but there could be any number of other factors involved.

David
I think you're right. You know that I tried two samples of Spirit ED and that both were plenty of CA (I had the same experience with the old Zeiss Conquest -NON-HD :eek!:). I suppose I was unlucky because other users (like you) had a more positive experience. Bad QC from cheap market is not something new...

Thanks all. I called Sightron and they told me that all of their binos, including the Blue Sky SII is injected with Nitrogen, so that addresses the one issue that I had with that model. Not sure why, but they really don't do a good job of marketing their products -- their website doesn't have much product info where I did find product info on other sites (like Adorama), it was incomplete and inconsistent. I'm probably going to go with that model.

I think you're right. You know that I tried two samples of Spirit ED and that both were plenty of CA (I had the same experience with the old Zeiss Conquest -NON-HD :eek!:). I suppose I was unlucky because other users (like you) had a more positive experience. Bad QC from cheap market is not something new...

Yes the CA of the old Conquests is particularly memorable. ;) None of the Vanguard EDs I've tried would remotely compare, but I have seen CA in samples of cheaper EDs that would trouble me.

David

Thanks all. I called Sightron and they told me that all of their binos, including the Blue Sky SII is injected with Nitrogen, so that addresses the one issue that I had with that model. Not sure why, but they really don't do a good job of marketing their products -- their website doesn't have much product info where I did find product info on other sites (like Adorama), it was incomplete and inconsistent. I'm probably going to go with that model.

Good choice :t:
Sightron is a cheap riffle scope label. The spec are always so so or wrong. I can't understand why beacause optics are great !:smoke:

Cal,

An 8x25 binocular is more compact and it is classified as a compact binocular. Binoculars of 28mm or less are in that classification. These often have dual hinges along the tubes so they can fold up very narrow and fit in one's shirt pockets. You can get some decent ones in your price range but off hand I can't think of any rave reviews for those in that price range. They won't be as bright or have as wide a FOV as the Blue Sky SII and they have smaller exit pupils and probably won't be as comfortable to use.

The dual hinged ones look like this: http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-sw-8x25-roof-prism-binocular

Although you can also get slightly wider reverse Porro prisms which look like this:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-ucf-wp-8x25-binocular

30/32mm ones are merely "small" binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Caesar. I know I will take a big hit in terms of the optics, but saving on weight and size is essential. I might up the price range to say $300. What's your best rec?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back