• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria, Black Sea coast and more May 14-23. (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

I have started my usual blog if anyone is interested in Bulgaria.
The birding is potentially superb, the Black Sea Coast is on the second most important migratory route in Europe but in fairness most birds had passed through before we arrived.
I had contemplated a package tour to the Burgas region , perhaps even returning with my wife after the visit with my birding/photographic friend. Having now seen what's on offer I'm glad I didn't book beforehand. Outside of the tourist spots it's very scenic with a wide variety of countryside.
Highly recommended for the wide variety of birds and the excellent value for money experience.
Dinner B&B should cost no more than £35 per night and probably quite a bit less.
A large bottle of beer 70p. Car hire and petrol is cheap too.
Compared to many European destinations it's a bargain.
Anyway what we saw is here
http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks Nick, I have enjoyed reading the report you have made too. Very informative not only on the birds but costs and logistics which are important in the planning stages. Mike and I are considering the more northern Baltic countries like Poland and Estonia for next year's trip to try and add some new birds to our portfolios.
In the meantime my blog has been updated here:-

Just viewed the updates - as if the amazing Starling and Little Owl photos were not enough, these are just as good - I particularly like the Lesser Grey Shrike and female Golden Oriole "straight out of the bath" image. And that's not to fault any of them, including the amazing images of the breeding Ortolan's.

Its clear you have such passion for your hobby, and you certainly deliver. I'm really not brown-nosing, but your photography of birds is the best I have seen on here. Simply fantastic.

Just viewed the updates - as if the amazing Starling and Little Owl photos were not enough, these are just as good - I particularly like the Lesser Grey Shrike and female Golden Oriole "straight out of the bath" image. And that's not to fault any of them, including the amazing images of the breeding Ortolan's.

Its clear you have such passion for your hobby, and you certainly deliver. I'm really not brown-nosing, but your photography of birds is the best I have seen on here. Simply fantastic.

You are too kind Nick but how many have you had already !
Seriously, your comments are appreciated.
Cheers Dave

Great report Dave, look forward to the concluding parts.
It was a very successful trip, thanks for all the organising that you did up front and I'm already looking forward to another sortie.
I've started uploading a couple of the trip images (link below) for anyone that's into the photographic side of birding.
Regards,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42561920@N06/

Great stuff Dave - my favourite is the Great Reed Warbler letting it all hang out, and the starling is terrific. As for the Ortolans . . . there should be a parental advisory!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the kind comments.
These trips come at a cost, wife Claire was feeling a bit fed up in the UK whilst we enjoyed some Bulgarian sun so she booked us a holiday in Morocco at very,short notice. Going home today so I'll get access to my photos again and can complete the report.
The Morocco one will not take too long though!

That's it all finished !
I would recommend Bulgaria to everyone. Some great birds, inexpensive accommodation, easy access by air.
All in it cost us £850 including car hire, flights, etc for 10 days.
Next year we will probably try a new destination. Personally I would like somewhere that can offer one or two locations that have hides for photography but it's not essential. Cost is a consideration as are the species we are likely to see. Hopefully some new ones !
Recommendations readily accepted. I shall by watching the trip reports with interest and hopefully someone will have read mine and decided Bulgaria is for them.
For any extra information needed don't hesitate to ask me.
cheers
Dave

Thanks for the kind comments both.
The Wallcreeper shots do suffer a bit from noise as I was using an f8 combination and at the same time trying to freeze the action of the wings. Still, happy to get something worth keeping to be honest.

I guess its impossible to get the perfect light, perfect poise, perfect distance for photographing species like Wallcreeper though Dave. These wonderful little birds are so hard to see, never mind photograph.

I appreciate you are "self-critiquing" Dave, but these are wonderful images.

My favourate bird is Hen/Montagu's/Pallid Harrier - the beautiful grey males at least. But when I see them in bright sun they look washed out, whereas when I see them in subdued late afternoon light in winter, their colours simply come alive & they look pristine and immaculate with crystal clear lines.

I can't imagine the perfect light for photography, I know one would automatically think "bright", "late afternoon sun" is the best, but I guess that is the ongoing photographer's challenge.

Dave, been away so just caught up on this trip. Amazing with superb images, the wallcreeper well words leave me and then you add nutcracker!

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back