• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with raptor Id please (1 Viewer)

To be honest, although it's difficult to make out much detail, I'd be surprised if the bigger bird is a Buzzard, just doesn't "feel" like one. Red Kite would be my guess, but no more than a guess. Could just as easily be a Marsh Harrier, as they are perhaps the most likely non-Buzzard large raptor, and can look like almost anything else!

Thanks Mark

Def. not Red Kite - Almost pure white/pale all over, other than black hands/fingers - did wander about Light Morph Buteo to be honest, but don't know how likely that would be - do Harriers 'thermal' through mobbing crows - seen Buzzards do that a lot? - colours actually seem fine for (marsh) harrier - jiz didn't seem right though somehow - black fingers looked quite long and spaced (not splayed out but straight) and wings looked quite straight/flat narrowing slightly at end - (only had view from below) does that sound right?

(meant male 'marsh' not 'hen'!)

Last edited:
As it is not possible to see colours in pics, I can't really comment further, but I find raptor ID is best based on structure rather than plumage in most cases. The pics do not show a buteo imho. Harriers would be on the move at this time of year, and the local crows would mob any raptor passing through their patch - if you ever hear crows, gulls, hirundines or whatever making alarm calls at this time of year, it's well worth looking around for a passing raptor. Male Marsh Harrier is quite a bulky bird and can look quite grey and white. I think you'll have to put this one down to experience...

Ok - thankyou for your help and confirming Harrier

('experience' of closer views sometimes would be nice - always tricky with no scope or zoom :-C )

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back