• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tunisia bird ID - Sahara desert (1 Viewer)

tuviskazinai

Hello everyone,
I am new here and am not a professional birder at all, so forgive me if this is an obvious or poorly phrased question!
I was in the Tunisian Sahara (in Douz) last week, end of February, and saw and heard an enchanting bird that I am trying to identify. It is small, a Passerine, I think...I was not able to get any pictures...but if I remember correctly, its call consisted of three sets of three uniform notes, each set progressively higher and a bit slower than the one before it. (tweet-tweet-tweet-tweeet-tweeet-tweeet-tweeeet-tweeeet-tweeeeeeeet...) Then it would pause, and all of a sudden, burst into the air, emit a series of four shrill notes at the crest of its arc, and plummet to the ground...then fly on a little ways and repeat the whole thing all over again.
This little game of singing and "jumping" was really striking...especially at dawn and dusk in the desert. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?
Thank you so much for your help and patience!
Nicholas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back