• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified duck (1 Viewer)

wanderfi

Hi, was out walking along a canalside path in central Scotland today and came across a strange duck in the canal - had very vibrant colouring (photo doesn't do it justice unfortunately but feathers on back and chest were quite iridescent) but have no idea what it is (not seen anything like it previously)- can anyone help identify it, please. Was on its own on the canal (no mate - assume from bright colouring it may have been a male) and had a relatively high pitched call.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• unidentified duck.jpg
    unidentified duck.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 150
That's great, thanks v much! have not seen one before - is it likely to have got (very) lost in its travels or are they typically captive animals in wildlife parks so one may have managed to get a tast of freedom? Had beautiful markings so pleased had chance to see it (and up so close).

Appreciate your help - was very puzzled!

That's great, thanks v much! have not seen one before - is it likely to have got (very) lost in its travels or are they typically captive animals in wildlife parks so one may have managed to get a tast of freedom? Had beautiful markings so pleased had chance to see it (and up so close).

Appreciate your help - was very puzzled!

It's undoubtably an escapee from a zoo or a private collection.

Hi, yes, was on the Union Canal near Falkirk so only a few wingbeats from Linlithgow really. Was certainly no other wood duck on the canal nearby (just a few pairs of mallard).

Wood Ducks

Thank you I will visit the area in next couple of days when light is good. Maybe I'll get lucky. I stay less than 2 miles from the site.

Male Wood Duck

Hi
Thanks I got it. Processing the pics now. Was just where you said and as a bonus there were 2 female and a male Goosander there too

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back