• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18th century painting from Europe or N.America (1 Viewer)

waterlark

Can anyone identify this bird, depicted in an unsigned watercolour probably made in 18th century? It is labelled "The Water Lark or Bather" but I can only find one late 19th century source which equates "Water Lark" with Water Pipit (that is, about a century after this painting would have been completed). If the painting is life-size, which is very likely, the bird's height was around 12cm and the length (tip of tail to tip of beak) was around 17cm. The source of the specimen is not stated but the painting is associated with either England or (?eastern) North America.

Attachments

• Water lark or Bather.jpg
    Water lark or Bather.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 208
Welcome to BirdForum Waterlark. I think either Water Pipit or Rock Pipit (the two were regarded as the same species until a few decades ago) might be a reasonable possibility as to what this is supposed to be. I suspect it's not a really accurate picture of what it's supposed to be, so it's maybe hard to be certain though.

American Dipper?

An interesting suggestion, which would go along with the coloration, general form, and name given. I see two problems, however: the tail is too long - even if it were drawn from a specimen and it is hard to imagine that an 18th Century European artist would have access to one - they are very much a western North American bird.

Decurved culmen wrong for both dipper and pipit in my opinion. That said, I don't have an alternative to offer.

The picture shown was one of fourteen colour plates painted by a a Mark Catesby in the 18th century. The book they were painted for was called "The Natural History of Carolina, Florida and Bahama Islands", so I think it is a bird from (or previously from) that corner of the world. I don't know what that rules out or in to be honest.

The labelling on the picture also seems to indicate Water Lark of Bather, indicating Bather may be a place. Although "of" might well be a misread of "or".
http://www.themorgan.org/drawings/item/122877

Last edited:
I wondered about an imm Gray Catbird, if they look like that at all?? I guess it doesn't have to be a waterbird, but a bird coming down to a good bathing spot ... perhaps.

I think American Dipper is a good suggestion, particularly as the OP said the bird is labelled Water Lark or Bather. Bather describes the behaviour of American Dipper very well. I appreciate this is a western species, however, the OP only speculated that the painting was 18th C, it could be later.

Hmmm? So Water Lark equates Water pipit in the 19th century, the bird looks thin legged and long tailed and should now be a Dipper just because of the colours? I doubt that very much and I think Water Pipit (now American Pipit) sounds much more plausible

I think American Dipper is a good suggestion, particularly as the OP said the bird is labelled Water Lark or Bather. Bather describes the behaviour of American Dipper very well. I appreciate this is a western species, however, the OP only speculated that the painting was 18th C, it could be later.

How could it be later? The artist was dead by 1749. And were there American Dippers in Florida/Carolina/Bahamas in the 18th century?

The picture shown was one of fourteen colour plates painted by a a Mark Caterby in the 18th century. The book they were painted for was called "The Natural History of Carolina, Florida and Bahama Islands", so I think it is a bird from (or previously from) that corner of the world. I don't know what that rules out or in to be honest.

The labelling on the picture also seems to indicate Water Lark of Bather, indicating Bather may be a place. Although "of" might well be a misread of "or".
http://www.themorgan.org/drawings/item/122877

It is Mark Catesby, a pretty well known artist/naturalist. A quick search of Google Images did not find this bird, but a bit of searching under that name should turn it up.

It is Mark Catesby, a pretty well known artist/naturalist. A quick search of Google Images did not find this bird, but a bit of searching under that name should turn it up.

Not that easy. The 14 illustrations that this plate was one of appear to have been removed from the book before publication. One that never made the cut. Sadly, there is no text to go with the picture.

American/Water Pipit for me. Note that the wing structure is even right! The beak is ok, some buffish on breast (Buff-bellied Pipit!) with some streak (no Dipper here), dark legs... all is fine imo.

Not that easy. The 14 illustrations that this plate was one of appear to have been removed from the book before publication. One that never made the cut. Sadly, there is no text to go with the picture.

Probably didn't make the cut as no one then could work out what it was either.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back