• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica 10x50 HD Plus vs Swarovision 10x50 (1 Viewer)

Hati

I am curious what is the difference in clarity, wow effect, resolution and colors between the two high end 10x50 bins? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of the top alpha 10x50 compare to the other? Is there any other 10x50 which is closer in performance to the two? Thanks!

These are the top two 10x50 binos currently on the market, as you rightfully say (at least if we ignore for the moment the new Nikon WX).

For my eyes, the Swaro is top in terms of clarity and wow effect; many users will agree on this, some will not.
Resolution is so good in both binos that for all practical purposes, there is no winner here.

The Leica wins in my eyes when it comes to color saturation - and again, many users prefer it because of this. The image of the Swaro appears noticeably cooler to me.

The Leica and the Swaro are about the same size, the same weight and both deliver superior optical and mechanical performance. The main difference between the two is

- in terms of ergonomics: the Leica has a single hinge, the Swaro a double hinge. You will find partisans for either design

- in terms of image rendering: the Swaro shows the best off-axis sharpness with its flat field image, the Leica doesn't use flat field optics and shows noticeably less edge sharpness. For astro uses, this gives the Swaro an advantage, and in fact the Leica is not very common in the astro community.
For birding, however, edge sharpness is not necessarily something you need, and I know birders who don't like the flat field of the Swaro and prefer the optics of the Leica.

Of the roughly 20 other 10x50 quality binos currently on the market in Europe, none IMHO delivers performance equivalent to the top two. But some are really very good, like the Fujinon 10x50, although with its individual focus it is mainly useful for astro.
The Docter Nobilem is unfortunately not on the market anymore; I do very much like the Meopta MeoStar 10x50 which I find has an excellent price/ performance ratio (like most Meoptas, btw).

As mentioned, the Nikon WX will blow everything else away - also in terms of price! - but it is a dedicated astro binocular.

For what it's worth.

Canip

Attachments

• IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 322
Thank You Canip,

Intreresting post, also regarding the new Nikon.

And what do you think about the noctivid 10x42 compared to the two?

In all fairness, I think the Noctivid 10x42 needs to be compared to the EL Swarovision 10x42 and the Leica 10x42 Ultravid Plus, not to the larger 10x50 brothers.

I only know the 8x42 version of the Noctivid
(see http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3487626&postcount=4 )

but I am sure the 10x42 is as outstanding a bino as the 8x model.
Since it is over 30% lighter than the 10x50 binoculars we are discussing here, it may be a very good alternative to the larger models if size and weight matter.

Would the Noctivid be slightly inferior in terms of brightness ? You would expect that, but the difference is perhaps less noticeable than you might anticipate, given the different design and materials used (if you compare just the 10x42 EL SV with the 10x50 EL SV, there for sure is a difference there).

To say more I would have to compare them.

Canip

Thank You, Canip.
I have both the 10 and the 8 Noctivid and I think that the 8X plays in a different league. The 10x is exellent but not in a different league. I have compared both to my EL 8x32 SV, my 10x32 UV HD+, to UV HD+ 8x42 and 10x42 and to EL 8,5x42.

Last edited:
Thank You, Canip.
I have both the 10 and the 8 Noctivid and I think that the 8X plays in a different league. The 10x is exellent but not in a different league. I have compared both to my EL 8x32 SV, my 10x32 UV HD+, to UV HD+ 8x42 and 10x42 and to EL 8,5x42.

Pier Parlo,
so which is your favorite?

The noctivid are my favorites.
I love the contrast, the colors and the view in general. IMO the Swaros are too cold, the colors are less vibrant and the flares are too invasive; I like the leica soul and life.
The swaro are easy to the eye and sharp to the edge, but the wow factor is for le leicas.

Last edited:
The noctivid are my favorites.
I love the contrast, the colors and the view in general. IMO the Swaros are too cold, the colors are less vibrant and the flares are too invasive; I like the leica soul and life.
The swaro are easy to the eye and sharp to the edge, but the wow factor is for le leicas.
thanks Pier Paolo! Will have to try them out when I get the chance !

@ Canip
"Of the roughly 20 other 10x50 quality binos currently on the market in Europe"
As a kind of fan of 10x50 I'd like to see your list :) ... (Zeiss does not have one, it seems)

happy birding - cocco

@ Canip
"Of the roughly 20 other 10x50 quality binos currently on the market in Europe"
As a kind of fan of 10x50 I'd like to see your list :) ... (Zeiss does not have one, it seems)

happy birding - cocco

Here it** is (and yes, Zeiss currently doesn't have one)

Canip

** as part of a larger list of binoculars currently on the market

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 263
OMG - each time I reopen that list, I see a few more bloody mistakes (typo, duplication, whatever, I never seem to get it entirely right) :-(

These are the top two 10x50 binos currently on the market, as you rightfully say (at least if we ignore for the moment the new Nikon WX)..................

As mentioned, the Nikon WX will blow everything else away - also in terms of price! - but it is a dedicated astro binocular.

For what it's worth.

Canip

Other than IF, what makes the WX "dedicated astro" not for birding?
also close focus 20 M

edj

Last edited:
You are right, IF is the main reason against birding use (it would perhaps be less so for a 7x or 8x)

But also: dimensions, weight >> need to mount it (my understanding)

Plus the need to get used to the way how to best observe with this bino (what the Germans call "Einblickverhalten") may speak against birding use (where you sometimes have to be fast), see
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/nikon_wx/nikon_wx.html

Disclaimer: the above ist hearsay, I haven't see the WX myself.

Canip

Thank You, Canip.
I have both the 10 and the 8 Noctivid and I think that the 8X plays in a different league. The 10x is exellent but not in a different league.

What puts the 8x Noctivid in a different league than the 10x? I've been considering the 10x Noctivid for a while, because I prefer birding with my Celestron trailseeker 10x42 over my 8x42.

.. I really need to find a place where I can side-by-side the Noctivids and the Swaros, so see if I can really notice the warmth. The Noctivids definitely blew away my Celetron Trailseekers, despite a pretty convincingly written review saying that the Trailseekers are one of the best, and that the reviewer would happily replace his Leica Ultravids with it.

For those curious: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-binoculars/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back