• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7 woodpecker day foiled again (1 Viewer)

tvawter

Beautiful sunny day at my local patch, Huntley Meadows Park, a couple of miles outside of the Washington, DC Beltway. Leaves are largely gone so it was a good day to take up the usual regional quest; to see 7 species of woodpecker in a day. Only once have I succeeded and I know that it takes time, habitat and luck. Red-Bellied and Northern Flicker were easy, each in some numbers. Both are handsome birds and usually no problem to see. Then Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers land on a dead snag for nice close up views. This is a bird which sometimes is seen in some numbers but others is not seen at all. A Pileated Woodpecker screams by, no mistaking that one. Need some nice mature trees to support their passion for carpenter ants.

The most difficult of the seven local wp's is the Red-Headed regionally declining and locally common in only a few area strongholds but an obliging bird flies into a tree in the marsh not far from an uninterested Bald Eagle. Unmistakeable! Finally on the way out of the park a Downy. Our most common wp but I almost missed it today. However, the Hairy has definately been missed. Usually see about 15-20 downies for every Hairy Woodpecker except in the most mature forest but today there were none available for my viewing. Still my first 6 of the 7 day of the year and enough to keep me trying.

I'm curious what other personal quests birder's have. Life birds are always nice but not always available in your personal patch. In this part of the country depending on the season there are many such goals. One Hundred Species is a difficult goal for most of us and one I've accomplished only on full day trips in good habitat in the spring (Super birders sometimes toy with 200). 20 Warbler species or ten or more sparrow species in a migration day is quite a feat (I've had 17 warblers, 9 sparrows as tops. Bottom line is that birders often have standards of presumed excellence they hope to meet and often don't just to keep them going. I'm curious about the goals other people have.

I'd love to bird that patch!!! When I do a wood I aim to see Eurasian Treecreeper, Eurasian Nuthatch, Great-spotted Woodpecker and Marsh Tit plus other common fare.

One of the ultimate (winter) goals down in SW England used to be an 11-gull day:

1) Great Black-backed
2) Lesser Black-backed
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Common
6) Black-headed
7) Mediterranean
8) Little
9) Glaucous
10) Iceland
11) Ring-billed, Bonaparte's or whatever other rarity happened to be on offer.

I've met one or two birders who aim for a year list of 200 (I used to do so myself) - for weekend birders it's stretching without being manic.

Jason

So you find Glaucous easy to come by, Jason? I wish I could find one this winter. How (or where) can I maximise my chances?

Last edited:
Gulls and 200 birds

Jason and Andrew, should either of you find a Glaucous let me know as I'd be tempted to take a look at a lifer for me! It would be a fine day to find 11 gulls. I set a goal at of seeing 200 birds regionally as well Andrew. This year will be nearly impossible as I am at 164. Too much work!

Andrew said:
So you find Glaucous easy to come by, Jason? I wish I could find one this winter. How (or where) can I maximise my chances?

Ah, well note my use of the words "used to". Time was when Plymouth would get about half a dozen wintering Glaucous and Iceland Gulls every year, not to mention Meds and Ring-billeds. Then SW Water went on a big clean-up and turned off the offshore sewage outfalls. The ones in Plymouth have gone and I think a lot of others have too, and the birds with them. Plymouth may still get the odd wintering white-winged gull, or an early spring passage bird in March, but it's pot luck these days.

There aren't any guaranteed spots any more, as far as I know. Probably the best bet is down around Penzance/Newlyn where the trawlers may still pull one in. Par Beach Pool may be the next best bet.

If any Cornish birders read this they will probably have better info. Darrell?

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back