• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss monocular 3x12 and 6x18 BT monoculars (1 Viewer)

I don't think one is going to find field-flattener lenses in any small monocular.
Field curvature and even astigmatism (where sharp focus at the field edge cannot be achieved by refocussing) is quite noticeable in some top-priced bins.
Give it a try at maximum extension (9x magnification I believe), although it's pretty difficult to hold still. The field is flat and pincussion distortion is negligible.
The 6x18 Zeiss may not be as solidly made as the new Leica Monovid but, IMO is more practical (no additional close-focus lens needed) and is a lot less expensive.

Regards,

John

Hello,

Other users of 6 x 18 T monocular confirmed me that it is optimized for short distance observation rather than long distance one, and so it is more a kind of "tele-magnifying glass" rather than a small spy glass.

Best Regards.

Hello,

Other users of 6 x 18 T monocular confirmed me that it is optimized for short distance observation rather than long distance one, and so it is more a kind of "tele-magnifying glass" rather than a small spy glass.

Best Regards.

I've had the Zeiss 6x18 T monocular for about 10 years. I love it. It gets used at least as much for close viewing as long distance observing.

I also have the little Zeiss 5x10 MiniQuick T. It isn't a toy. It will give enough of a boost in image scale be useful.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back