• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 6x18 BT* Design Selction (1 Viewer)

Omid

United States
Guys,

Has anyone of you had any experince with these? I have a chance to buy a new pair (made in West Germany!) for about $400. Is this a fair price? Thanks.

Thanks for the info Rob but that price is for a monocular. The one I am interested is a binocular. I know they are discontinued but I am wondering how good they are. Leica, Swarovski and Nikon all have high-end 8x20 and 10x25 models but I don't see any 6x18s in anyones current catalog.

Here is a picture:

Zeiss_6x18.gif

and here are the specs:

Weight: 177 gr
Field of View: 122 m (366 ft)
Shortest Focusing Distance: 2 m (6.7 ft)
Twilight Factor: 10.4
Exit Pupil: 3 mm

The one I saw has "West Germany" under the name Zeiss. This is an indication that it has been made before 1991.

2Old2Care said:
The one I saw has "West Germany" under the name Zeiss. This is an indication that it has been made before 1991.

Make sure it's phase coated. Phase coating was introduced in 1988, and makes a great deal of difference in brightness.

Last edited:
2Old2Care said:

This is not entirely true.

Some Zeiss binoculars manufactured after re-unification had the older type logo. My understanding was that the 6x18 DS Compacts had phase coated prisms.

The 6x18 Zeiss Design Selection compact binoculars (3 models to choose from) were introduced to the market in 1992, so it's rather safe to assume they were phase coated. With regard to the designation Made in Germany resp. Made in West Germany: Zeiss certainly didn't throw away their 'old logo-housings' all at once. There were better, smarter ways to celebrate the reunification. So there's is some overlap.

Renze de Vries

Thank you all for the information. I'll check closely to see if they are phase coted. The pair that I am talking about is new and comes with all accessories so there should be a reference to P* phase coating somwhere. By the way, I have a pair of West German made Zeiss 8x30 IF Classic in olive green. There is no phase coating designation on its body byt there is a big sticker on the box which says it has P* phase coating in several languages!

2Old2Care said:
Thank you all for the information. I'll check closely to see if they are phase coted. The pair that I am talking about is new and comes with all accessories so there should be a reference to P* phase coating somwhere. By the way, I have a pair of West German made Zeiss 8x30 IF Classic in olive green. There is no phase coating designation on its body byt there is a big sticker on the box which says it has P* phase coating in several languages!

When you see the paperwork, I'd greatly appreciate knowing if they actually use a reference to P or P*, or simply say the prisms are phase coated in the documentation. In sequence, I believe Zeiss used T*, then T*P, and finally T*P* on models that were all really phase coated after 1988, but more evidence is needed. Thanks,

Elkcub

elkcub,

It says B T* P* on the back of the body near the hinge. I negotiated with the sales person but I couldn't get a price better than Cdn$500 so I don't think I'll get them after all :(

I've obtained one of these (without T coating though) a few weeks ago for a nice price (~%150) and I think it's a great little toy. Sure, one eye makes harder viewing, it's certainly not equipped for bird detail watching on larger distance, and the focus system (bit resistance in one stretch, see if it loosens or I'll try some solid grease....) takes getting used to but that goes quite good. I have it with me always for occasions during work, and on my outdoor activities its close focus ability (30cm) surpasses the Pentax Papilio and is great for looking at mosses, lichens, plants and insects. Optics are great, as sharp as I'd expect from Zeiss. So it's a nice piece of optics to have :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back