• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID help for Minnesota, USA (1 Viewer)

Laggard

Wood Lake Nature Center in Richfield MN is a mixture of lakes, marshes and prairie surrounded by old growth decidious forest. Around 3:00 PM.

In a medium sized tree, at a marsh/prairie transitional area at roughly the "1:00" position 30 feet off the ground we saw the following bird. Robin sized. Head and chest light gold/orange with no crown or tuft. Yellowish underneath at base of tail. Darker wings with a pale bar. Thin beak, longer than a sparrows but shorther than a spotted piper.

It sat in the tree making this short repetive call roughly once every five seconds. Excuse me for this description but it sounded like "Beers run run run."

My first thought was an Oriole but at home listening to known Oriole recordings nothing matched.

Please help!

Thanks

I would not expect an orchard oriole at that location. I live 15 minutes away and have never seen one there. Sounds like a Baltimore Oriole - probably a young of the year or a female.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back