• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Points Game Version 2.0 - ABA Life List Edition! (1 Viewer)

Installment #5

Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk Accipiter striatus 1
Cooper’s Hawk Accipiter cooperii 1
Northern Goshawk Accipiter gentilis 1
Crane Hawk Geranospiza caerulescens 5
Common Black-Hawk Buteogallus anthracinus 2
Harris’s Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus 1
Roadside Hawk Buteo magnirostris 5
Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus 1
Broad-winged Hawk Buteo platypterus 1
Gray Hawk Buteo nitidus 2
Short-tailed Hawk Buteo brachyurus 2
Swainson’s Hawk Buteo swainsoni 1
White-tailed Hawk Buteo albicaudatus 2
Zone-tailed Hawk Buteo albonotatus 2
Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis 1
Ferruginous Hawk Buteo regalis 1
Rough-legged Hawk Buteo lagopus 1
Golden Eagle Aquila chrysaetos 1
Collared Forest-Falcon Micrastur semitorquatus 5
Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway 1
Eurasian Kestrel Falco tinnunculus 4
American Kestrel Falco sparverius 1
Merlin Falco columbarius 1
Eurasian Hobby Falco subbuteo 4
Red-footed Falcon Falco vespertinus 5
Aplomado Falcon Falco femoralis 4
Gyrfalcon Falco rusticolus 2
Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus 1
Prairie Falcon Falco mexicanus 1
Yellow Rail Coturnicops noveboracensis 2
Black Rail Laterallus jamaicensis 2
Corn Crake Crex crex 5
Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris 1
King Rail Rallus elegans 1
Virginia Rail Rallus limicola 1
Sora Porzana carolina 1
Paint-billed Crake Neocrex erythrops 5
Spotted Rail Pardirallus maculatus 5
Purple Gallinule Porphyrio martinica 1
Common Moorhen Gallinula chloropus 1
Eurasian Coot Fulica atra 5
American Coot Fulica americana 1
Limpkin Aramus guarauna 2
Sandhill Crane Grus canadensis 1
Common Crane Grus grus 4
Whooping Crane Grus americana 2
Double-striped Thick-knee Burhinus bistriatus 5
Northern Lapwing Vanellus vanellus 4
Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola 1

Hi All,

I got 106 for this round, not counting the Aplomado Falcons from south Texas, nor the Thick-knee I saw in Arizona years ago. So that makes 327 for me after five rounds.

Chris

off to teach.

It not really about "how good" or "how bad" you are. It is more about how many years you have been birding and how many different places have you been!

Have fun and Good Birding!

Hi All,

I got 106 for this round, not counting the Aplomado Falcons from south Texas, nor the Thick-knee I saw in Arizona years ago. So that makes 327 for me after five rounds.

Chris

off to teach.

:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: I know the Aplomado Falcons are being reintroduced (so are eastern Peregrines), but what ws wrong with the Thick-knee?

Wait I counted that up round up... there's only 111 points up for grabs. So if you aren't counting a 5 and a 4... hmmm. Still it sounds like you ACED a round!

Last edited:
33 for me, so I'm at 132 total. Highlights for this round are Gyrfalcon and Black Rail. Black Rail was heard only, but I count em - if you get a good "listen" and are positive what it was, I see no reason why not to count it. :king: :t:

Neil G.

Last edited:
I too have seen Aplamados in southern Texas, Benton Basham said to count them, but for some reason I forgot to add that to my total. I'm not sure if I should add it to my total if Chris isn't....|8(| (o)<

33 for me, so I'm at 132 total. Highlights for this round are Gyrfalcon and Black Rail. Black Rail was heard only, but I count em - if you get a good "listen" and are positive what it was, I see no reason why not to count it. :king: :t:

Neil G.

Counting is very useful for scouting out areas to bird and breeding bird atlasses, but for adding it to your life list you get an H. Hey I was yards away from a Spindalis. I saw someone probably looking at it. What if I heard it flapping it's little wings? Still isn't seeing the bird...

Anyway I'm watching this thread like a hawk waiting to pounce on the next page for a new scoreboard...

Yes, but pretty much all bird wing flaps sound alike. For several minutes on end we heard kee-kee-der coming from a salt marsh in NJ... now don't go saying that wasn't a Black Rail... ;) ;) :-O

Neil G.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back