• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 british birds (1 Viewer)

The Firecrest said:
I don't think the tail's right for Nightingale, and it's the wrong habitat.

Perhaps you could explain what's wrong with the habitat? (going on the pic)

I agree tails not good in terms of posture, but the smooth rufous tones of mantle, and the darker rufous tones of tail, along with prominant black eye with white surround makes it a little closer to nightingale than a wren! Happy to go with majority though on female whitethroat.

i woudnt mind betting that no 2 is a nightingale, look at this pic i just found:
colour and stance match?? but then, whitethroat is more likely.

Attachments

• nightingale%20fetlar.jpg
    nightingale%20fetlar.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 262
did look for pic with upright tail and couldn't find one Luke, so well done!

have enlarged ID bird - doesn't look too bad IMO at all, but as you say Whitethroat more likely as Nightingales are not that common or this obliging!

Attachments

• nightingale or female whitethroat.JPG
    nightingale or female whitethroat.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 258
I'm embarresed at saying Wren, that was absurd! Whitethroats in pic 2, and, I think, 3.
Deborah - Bracken in an open looking are to me doesn't suggest Nightingale habitat, and the bird, again to my eyes, has the wrong 'jizz'. Too slim, and pale. Forget that I ever said Wren!

I can't see any reason why number 2 isn't a Nightingale. The colour is to rufous for Whitethroat and the way it is holding its wings and tail are pro Nightingale. Number 3 is Definitely a juv Whitethroat.

2 is a female Whitethroat and the Phyllosc is a Chiffchaff

Reasons why Whitethroat and not Nightingale
1. Eye crescents
2. Greyish ear coverts
3.White throat with sharp demarcation to cream upper breast
4. No grey/brownish breast
5. Wing coverts and tertials the most rusty part of the bird.

Also its very slim

Attachments

• bfpost.JPG
    bfpost.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 145
Nice one, Jane, very thorough. (and perched on bracken rather than hiding in damp scrub is also a very strong pointer) Are you also concurring 100% on the Whimbrel?

Graham

Yes - didn't think that was in doubt. I do have concerns over the Spot Fly though - it looks a little long in the tail and short in the wing and small-headed. If it was in pure silhouette I'd probably have guessed at Dunnock. As it is I'm just not certain its a Spott fly

FWIW, I'm certain that it is a spot-fly. One of my first ever birds and all-time favourites - they used to perch on the wires like this in the farmyard at my gran's.

I certainly think there was some doubt with no 2, but happy to defer to 'expert' opinion, as I said at beginning, I wasn't sure and Whitethroat more likely. I agree the Whimbrel is straightforward - the 'flycatcher' looks a bit Wheatearish, but again not a very clear pic. On closer look, perhaps not!!

Last edited:
Surely the fourth pic on the first post is a Blackcap and not a Chiffchaff. Female Blackcap with the rusty brown cap or am I looking at the wrong pic?

Colin said:
Surely the fourth pic on the first post is a Blackcap and not a Chiffchaff. Female Blackcap with the rusty brown cap or am I looking at the wrong pic?

Hi Colin

Think we're looking at the same pic ;) see what you mean about the brown 'cap' but it's most certainly a Chiff Chaff: Note the whitish super (which does offset the crown), yellow/buff tones to belly and flanks, and tones of mantle (blackcap is much greyer, with much paler belly) etc, general confusion is normally with Willow - there's lots of other threads around to help with that, most reliable distinction would probably be primary projection if visible, but there are facial features that contribute, along with leg and bill colour (latter subject to occasional variation).

Hope that helps

deborah4 said:
Hi Colin

Think we're looking at the same pic ;) see what you mean about the brown 'cap' but it's most certainly a Chiff Chaff: Note the whitish super (which does offset the crown), yellow/buff tones to belly and flanks, and tones of mantle (blackcap is much greyer, with much paler belly) etc, general confusion is normally with Willow - there's lots of other threads around to help with that, most reliable distinction would probably be primary projection if visible, but there are facial features that contribute, along with leg and bill colour (latter subject to occasional variation).

Hope that helps
HI Deborah,
The brown cap stands out like a sore thumb but it may be my monitor. It was my first impression and I still think is it a Blackcap.

Hi Deborah,
I see what you mean with the comparison pics you list. The cap on our subject bird is slightly smaller than the two you illustrate and there is a light stripe over the eye but that is the same colour as under the eye and cheeks on my monitor and I would not describe it as a supercilium.

It can be very difficult with still pictures without jizz and without the bird moving through different light and angles. Then there is another problem with monitors and the way they show colours (this is a nightmare with gull mantles). I am using a laptop and colours vary even with the angle of the screen relative to the keyboard. Having said all that I can see how a Chiffchaff could come out of this. May be it's a Chiffcap!!!! Now I need a B :)

I'm going to sit in the Nightingale camp on this one. Sorry Jane, but regarding most of the features you have described, I dont see them as being pro Whitethroat.

Jane Turner said:
1. Eye crescents
2. Greyish ear coverts

I dont think the eye crescents are clear enough to see in this pic, especially the blown up one. However, the apparent grey tinge to the ear coverts would favour Nightingale, surely?

Jane Turner said:

The white throat doesn't look clearly marked to me at all. The shadow on the bird cuts across the birds throat, making it appear more clearly marked than it is. The chest and underparts aren't dark enough either. More in favour of Nightingale.

Jane Turner said:
No grey/brownish breast.

There is a slight sandy brown tinge to the breast, which is more in favour of Nightingale, as Whitethroat would be darker.

Jane Turner said:

I see next to no contrast between Tertials/coverts colouration and the back of the bird, which is what you'd expect in Whitethroat. It is a near-uniform warm brown colour, as in Nightingale.

Also, the stance is classic; alert, with a cocked tail

Sorry to contradict you, but that just my opinion.

Agree with Chiff, though. Primary projection is perfect.

Jason

Jane Turner said:
2 is a female Whitethroat and the Phyllosc is a Chiffchaff

Reasons why Whitethroat and not Nightingale
1. Eye crescents
2. Greyish ear coverts
4. No grey/brownish breast

Also its very slim

Colin said:
It can be very difficult with still pictures without jizz and without the bird moving through different light and angles. Then there is another problem with monitors and the way they show colours (this is a nightmare with gull mantles). I am using a laptop and colours vary even with the angle of the screen relative to the keyboard. Having said all that I can see how a Chiffchaff could come out of this. May be it's a Chiffcap!!!!

Think that sums up very nicely the problem we all encounter at times with trying to Id stuff from photos!

Now I need a B :)

Have one on me ;) B :)

I'm off to Berkley Square to improve my ID skills :-O

Last edited:
Blinkin flip! 2 is 99.9% a Whitethroat, in that there's a tiny element of doubt that it could be something rarer, but it's not a Nightingale. 3 is probably a Whitethroat sp, not sure which yet. As for the Spot Fly, having had them in my garden all last summer i'd say posture wise alone this bird looks a pretty likely candidate to me!

Last edited:
I have to say I favour Whitethroat for two - and if it's not a Whitethroat I'd be pretty sure that it's not a Nightingale.

Again, out of interest, where and when was it taken?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back