• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Not a lot new happening in our yards. College was quiet today, too, except for 300-400 Cedar Waxwings.

Saw a lot of breeding/nesting/mating behavior on the coast at the end of the week. Yesterday our Downy Woodpeckers were also celebrating spring!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

crikey what a shot jeff ! :t: I sometimes wonder just how many birds I miss in my garden. I sit in the kitchen but have no view of the feeding station regretably.

We had this chap call this morning thrice and hung around for quite a while. Fascinating watching them jump from branch to branch and 'walk 'up the trunk of the trees

Attachments

• GSWoody crop.jpg
    GSWoody crop.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 45
crikey what a shot jeff ! :t: I sometimes wonder just how many birds I miss in my garden. I sit in the kitchen but have no view of the feeding station regretably.

We had this chap call this morning thrice and hung around for quite a while. Fascinating watching them jump from branch to branch and 'walk 'up the trunk of the trees

That's an impressive bird you have there!

We're lucky here since we can sit outside most days of the year - either on our tiny front porch or our back patio. So we get to see a lot of the action.

Yesterday there was a lot of aggro between our resident Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers. The Downy male really jumped on the Red-bellied male and drove him out of the yard. But later the Red-bellied female retaliated and drove the Downy male and female away.

Jeff

Not too much about the place today, or well, there probably has been. But it's only stopped raining for about 15 minutes so I haven't gotten out much. I saw a willie wagtail out on the lawn, hawking for insects. A magpie-lark strutting about on the garden bed. A walk down the road saw the pair of masked lapwing and their 3 immature youngsters having a feed.

So, not too bad I guess :)

Attachments

• IMG_1292 Willie Wagtail Sm.jpg
    IMG_1292 Willie Wagtail Sm.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 44
I'm still getting all the usual birds.. robins,blue tits, coal tits, great tits, house sparrows, blackbirds, starlings and chaffinches, but persisting with the nyger feeder has brought a couple of goldfinches to the garden, and finally .. the odd greenfinch (barely see them anymore!) and at the weekend a pair of... Redpolls!! Life tick & garden tick :)
pics here.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59872849@N02/

After seeing the hummer yesterday, I put up a hummer feeder at lunchtime today. It took only 5 minutes to attract its first visitor. Not a hummer, though, but a male House Finch. Our finches love the hummer feeders - as do our rats. I guess we're luck that squirrels haven't yet discovered the delights of sugar water.

Jeff

Just able to login... High up a Malaysian montain with fellow forum member jeff (Goyter). This mornings feeder birds are silver eared mesia, long tailed sibia and chestnut capped laughing thrush with a black eagle over. Catch you later

Now able to attach the feeder birds from our hotel in Frasers Hill :t:

Not quite my Mealy Redpoll but a fine set of birds nonetheless, in order of appearance below:
Silver eared mesia, long tailed sibia, chestnut capped laughingthrush and Fire Tufted Barbet

Now at home I have only seen 2 Lesser Redpoll and a Siskin although the Goldfinch numbers are now rising..... Bongo what is your Lesser Redpoll count at the moment?

Attachments

• IMG_6115.jpg
    IMG_6115.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6407.jpg
    IMG_6407.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6318.jpg
    IMG_6318.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6389.jpg
    IMG_6389.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Now able to attach the feeder birds from our hotel in Frasers Hill :t:

Not quite my Mealy Redpoll but a fine set of birds nonetheless, in order of appearance below:
Silver eared mesia, long tailed sibia, chestnut capped laughingthrush and Fire Tufted Barbet

Now at home I have only seen 2 Lesser Redpoll and a Siskin although the Goldfinch numbers are now rising..... Bongo what is your Lesser Redpoll count at the moment?

Great pics Dave :t:

Back to reality now tho ;)

CB

Hello again everyone, things keep getting in the way of me doing much garden watching! But I have still manged to keep an eye on the feeders, new birds to the list are

Buzzard, 5 together the other day soaring right above my garden
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Bullfinch, 2 pairs
Magpies, had 5 on lawn the other day.

Everything else has been regular both Blue Tits and Great Tits have been checking the same nest box out. So will be interesting to see what turns out to nest there.

Lovely birds there, BFB. Good trip? Have you done a full report elsewhere?

Lesser Redpolls have disappeared from here now (last sighted last Tuesday 15/3 during the snow flurries), and the Siskins are down to 1 (up until last Wed 16/3 I was filling the nijer and sunflower hearts feeders up daily, but they've barely been touched since).

On a positive note, I've now got 3 Goldfinches visiting and a Blue Tit roosting in half a nest.

great pics dave, :t:hope you had a fantastic time out there,not much to report here either,wren was spotted again yesterday,apart from that just the usual suspects but very quiet.

Loved the pics BFB.

We have had a great week this week for the birds.

First of all a pair of Bullfinches showed up, not seen them for over a year. Then we had 2 Stock Doves followed by 2 Wood Pigeons. Then to cap it all the Redpolls have returned.:t:

Anybody seen this sor tof behaviour before because I have never come across it.

3 Robins all within 18 inches of one another, 2 had their chests puffed up and they were swaying their heads from side to side slowly. Is this courtship?

I recon that's what it was, I've had two at my feeding area at work, Also Collard doves gone up one, Two now..I have two Wood Pigeons come and it's taken them a week to realise that they can fly over the fence rather that walk up and down it trying to squeeze through the Bars, well one has realised the other still needs telling, you'd think his mate would say something...

Loved the pics BFB.

We have had a great week this week for the birds.

First of all a pair of Bullfinches showed up, not seen them for over a year. Then we had 2 Stock Doves followed by 2 Wood Pigeons. Then to cap it all the Redpolls have returned.:t:

Anybody seen this sor tof behaviour before because I have never come across it.

3 Robins all within 18 inches of one another, 2 had their chests puffed up and they were swaying their heads from side to side slowly. Is this courtship?

Cheers Spinneygal

It could be a display to the female.... if it was teritorial issues the Robins dont mess around, they just fight.

Today here:
Sparrowhawk female, Buzzard over, 2 LTTs, 8 Greenfinch, 5 Chaffinch, many Housesparrows and the usual Great and Blue tits etc and NO Redpoll or Siskin.

Gorgeous pics BFB and welcome home.
It is really quiet here now. We have a pair of loving jackdaws, a robin that can't wait for us to tidy a new piece of garden, a pair of giddy dunnocks, a pair of talkative bluue tits, 5 or 6 sparrows, 3 collared doves, 4 goldfinches, 2 male chaffinches that sit chirping for ages, a pair of blackbirds chasing up and down the garden. We have no numbers of anything.

Gorgeous pics BFB and welcome home.
It is really quiet here now. We have a pair of loving jackdaws, a robin that can't wait for us to tidy a new piece of garden, a pair of giddy dunnocks, a pair of talkative bluue tits, 5 or 6 sparrows, 3 collared doves, 4 goldfinches, 2 male chaffinches that sit chirping for ages, a pair of blackbirds chasing up and down the garden. We have no numbers of anything.

cheers busybee

it is very quiet here too.... time to take down one of the nyger feeders I think, gone from filling up 2 feeders every couple of days to hardly being touched.....

Blue and great tits taking alot of peanuts though

cheers busybee

it is very quiet here too.... time to take down one of the nyger feeders I think, gone from filling up 2 feeders every couple of days to hardly being touched.....

Likewise once the older one of the two finally runs empty. Although going on recent happenings, it could be some time.

The only interest is in the peanut cakes at the moment.

Welcome home BFB, sounds like a wonderful trip! I still have house sparrows and goldfinches in residence, scoffing large amounts of sunflower hearts. Collared doves and woodpigeons are hoovering up the spillages and the dunnocks and blackbirds are usually around picking up sunflower hearts too. I don't see it often but a thrush does a wonderful serenade outside my bathroom window just as I'm getting up (shortly after 5am on weekdays)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back