• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would you do Cornish Birders? (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

Hi All

I find myself with a day to kill in west Cornwall and am wondering what to do. My default (because I know no other places) is Porthgwarra but I was wondering whether I should go to one of the valleys on the west coast (I think I might have been to Nanquidno years ago).

What would you do?

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards

Rob

Oh dear! I am staying in Penzance and need to get to Truro for about 6 so can be a bit flexible. Okay well will wait to see what the weather brings in the next week or so.

Hi All

I find myself with a day to kill in west Cornwall and am wondering what to do. My default (because I know no other places) is Porthgwarra but I was wondering whether I should go to one of the valleys on the west coast (I think I might have been to Nanquidno years ago).

Get a couple of shotguns and look for some suppressors?

Alternatively, or as well, for a days 'birding' you could do worse that a quick look at Drift Reservoir, then Marazion Marsh (and the beach eg Long Rock), then up to the Hayle Estuary, to include Copperhouse Creek and Ryan's Field.

If you wanted to go looking for all the non-existent yanks, then of course the cornish valleys.

There are a few other places like Devoran and Stithians at the Truro end, but unless there's anything good reported probably less birding.

Are you talking about tomorrow btw, or some future day? Porthgwarra could be ok tomorrow, but probably not great and a bit wet?

Local sites -

http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

http://www.cornwall-birding.co.uk/

There's also the Falmouth area, but no-one in their right mind would ever go there.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the info, no it is not tomorrow but next Thursday (10) - will see what the weather is doing and act accordingly e.g. miss all the good birds!

Rob

Well here I am in sunny Penzance so looks like a speculative Porthgwarra visit. Will be there from about 9:30 please say "Hello" and good luck!
Rob

Hope you had a good day at Porthgwarra, you may have been sheltered to a certain extent from the gusty northerly winds I guess.

I had a couple of hours at a windswept Hayle Estuary as the tide went out. The B W Stilt was still present on Ryan's Field as some other good birds around as well.

Worth a visit here if you are still in the area tomorrow but wear some thick clothing as it was very chilly standing around for long!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back