• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (4 Viewers)

Good numbers of seven spots in the garden today with at least 15 individuals plus a couple of two spots.Last year that would have been the total for the whole summer!

Dave.

Photos of a few of the ladybirds seen this week, Adonis Ladybird, Kidney-spot Ladybird & the tiny Rhyzobius litura.

Stuart

Attachments

• Adonis 1.jpg
    Adonis 1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 164
  • adonis 2.jpg
    adonis 2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 152
  • kidney-spot.jpg
    kidney-spot.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 150
  • R litura.jpg
    R litura.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 175
Another new visitor in my garden was this lovely kidney spot Ladybird.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 167
That would appear to be a Harlequin Ladybird of the conspicua variant, note the two large white patches at the front corners of the pronotum, & the protruding head, both of which Kidney-spot Ladybird lacks.

Stuart

That would appear to be a Harlequin Ladybird of the conspicua variant, note the two large white patches at the front corners of the pronotum, & the protruding head, both of which Kidney-spot Ladybird lacks.

Stuart

Oh dear, Is that bad news Stuart?

Hi there

We have had a had a few 7 spot Ladybirds in our garden area over the last few days. :t:

Another seven spot appeared in the car fro a ride on our way to the shops today too.

Not seen any Harlequin ones yet. We had a lot of tem in our last house (in Bedford) a couple of years ago. They seemed to like to sit in clusters on the corners of our ceiling for some reason.

Interesting picture Pie ;)

Regard
Kathy
x

They are probably all in Norfolk!

A few pics attached of the Ladybird invasion that we had here in Cromer in the first week of August, although the photos just don't do justice to the incredible numbers that we were having all along the coast.

A spectacular sight, but not so good when they are crawling all over you and biting you as well!

Simon

Attachments

• Ladybirds.jpg
    Ladybirds.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Ladybirds1.jpg
    Ladybirds1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Ladybirds2.jpg
    Ladybirds2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Ladybirds3.jpg
    Ladybirds3.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 180
Wow! astonishing to see so many ladybirds Simon and great photos.....makes my 4 Orange ladybirds seen today in the garden seem like chicken feed!

Dave.

Lots of ladybirds in the garden,firstly to my moth trap and then on a quick scout around the bushes etc revealed 3 Orange,2 Seven spots,1 Two spot,1 Twenty two spot and 3 Harlequins of various forms.

Dave.

FINALLY! My first ladybird of the year, 5-spot and got some very nice shots of it! How do I make my garden more ladybird-friendly? At least I'm presuming it's that rather than me just not seeing them

FINALLY! My first ladybird of the year, 5-spot and got some very nice shots of it! How do I make my garden more ladybird-friendly? At least I'm presuming it's that rather than me just not seeing them

That's a good record- it must be 1 of the rarest species- usually on river shingle in parts of Scotland, Wales + possibly Devon.

Do you have a photograph? As Aeshna noted, the 5-spot ladybird is very localised in UK being confined to shingle banks of rivers in western Britain, particularly Wales.
In my experience most ladybirds identified as 5-spots are either (a) 7-spots viewed from an angle where only 5 spots are seen or (b) Adonis' ladybirds (Hippodamia variegata) which commonly have only five spots ..... or, indeed, 10-spots with reduced spot number etc etc ..... :eek!:

For interest, how long did the congregation last?
This happens some years: ladybirds (usually 7-spots) reproduce well and eat up all the aphids; then they fly around looking for more food, randomly becoming large crowds which, because they can go no further, accumulate at the coast. I've never come up with a good explanation for why this happens more in East Anglia than other coasts!

With regard to the biting: they are hungry and will taste everything they land on to see if it's edible .... :eek!:

They are probably all in Norfolk!

A few pics attached of the Ladybird invasion that we had here in Cromer in the first week of August, although the photos just don't do justice to the incredible numbers that we were having all along the coast.

A spectacular sight, but not so good when they are crawling all over you and biting you as well!

Simon

Do you have a photograph? As Aeshna noted, the 5-spot ladybird is very localised in UK being confined to shingle banks of rivers in western Britain, particularly Wales.
In my experience most ladybirds identified as 5-spots are either (a) 7-spots viewed from an angle where only 5 spots are seen or (b) Adonis' ladybirds (Hippodamia variegata) which commonly have only five spots ..... or, indeed, 10-spots with reduced spot number etc etc ..... :eek!:

Maybe not a 5-spot then :-O
Just noticed from the pictures that it actually has 6-spots visible, could have 7 so it's probably a 7-spot, ah well, my first ladybird pictures and first ladybird seen in years!
http://picasaweb.google.com/CalvinMacKinnon/Invertebrates#5386503644539077538
http://picasaweb.google.com/CalvinMacKinnon/Invertebrates#5386503652921022722
http://picasaweb.google.com/CalvinMacKinnon/Invertebrates#5386503656771829042
http://picasaweb.google.com/CalvinMacKinnon/Invertebrates#5386503662140441842
http://picasaweb.google.com/CalvinMacKinnon/Invertebrates#5386503669254303026

Yes indeed, all seven-spots. But it's better than nothing! Especially in Aberdeen .... most ladybirds become pretty scarce once you leave England!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back