• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Hi everyone.

Just found this web site. Love going to Upton hoping to be their on Saturday. Will the black terns stick around by then

We'll be glad to see you at Upton on the all-dayer on Saturday.

Black Terns usually only stop for one day so I was quite surprised they were still around today. Got to say it's unlikely these birds will stick around that long but, who knows, we may have some more by then.:t:

I managed to see the two beautiful Black Terns this evening, thanks to Woodchat's update on this forum. In fact I've seen some good birds recently (but not the Bluethroat, sadly) as a result of his early morning postings. They are much appreciated. Thank you, Woodchat.

Roger

I managed to see the two beautiful Black Terns this evening, thanks to Woodchat's update on this forum. In fact I've seen some good birds recently (but not the Bluethroat, sadly) as a result of his early morning postings. They are much appreciated. Thank you, Woodchat.

Roger

See what you have done now Dave, raising expectations in reporting birds from the field at ungodly hours of the morning! Am still waiting for that Spotted Sand call ....

Roger

The Black Terns are great aren't they? Glad you got to see them Roger. I'm off work for the rest of the week so I'll be posting more news (from my phone) - hoping there's some good stuff still to come.B :)

Spring All-Dayer

Please find attached a one page tick-sheet for Saturday's All-Day birdwatch; as usual the master list will be put up on the whiteboard outside the West Hide at the Moors Pool, to be regularly updated throughout the day. As with last year I suspect that Dave aso will keep viewers on-line informed of progress.

I will be bringing some printed versions down with me on the day but if anyone has access to a printer and is going down before Saturday, if they can place a couple of copies in the hide ahead of the day that would be v useful.

Attachments

• UPTON WARREN SPRING ALL DAY BIRDWATCH.doc
    96 KB · Views: 112
Please find attached a one page tick-sheet for Saturday's All-Day birdwatch; as usual the master list will be put up on the whiteboard outside the West Hide at the Moors Pool, to be regularly updated throughout the day. As with last year I suspect that Dave aso will keep viewers on-line informed of progress.

I will be bringing some printed versions down with me on the day but if anyone has access to a printer and is going down before Saturday, if they can place a couple of copies in the hide ahead of the day that would be v useful.

Hi Phil,

I will be popping down soon, I'll run a dozen copies off and put a few in each hide :t:

my apologies, but being a newbie I could do with a little explanation of what the "all dayer" is about. Competitive, or a snapshot log of every different species on the site on that day?
thanks
toad.

Already got ten printed at home to bring down on Saturday.

my apologies, but being a newbie I could do with a little explanation of what the "all dayer" is about. Competitive, or a snapshot log of every different species on the site on that day?
thanks
toad.

A bit of both really.
Competetive in the sence of trying to better previous years totals with an added incentive of beating other local patch watchers such as Steve nuttall at Belvide, tim Jones in yorkshire and hopefully Geoff Williams at RSPB Middleton hall.

Also to count the different breeding/resident species and most interestingly to monitor any visible migration. The more intensely we cover the reserve the more chance of an unusual occurrence. Also to log those species that can touch down for just minutes to rest or drink or are forced down by adverse weather.
A third reason is to get together with like minded people that have formed a bond and camaraderie around upton warren.
Also to sample the culinary delights that are on offer as a thank you to all the hard work carried out by the two work party groups.
B :)John oh ye and maybe have a tot of Gert's home brew8-P

If Upton listers want to include Feral Pigeon then lets put it to a vote. But presumably this isn't a 'species' that anyone is going to struggle to see on the reserve so nobody will gain or lose either way. None of the local patch lists for other sites in the county, or the county life lists include Feral Pigeon, so it's just for the sake of consistency really. Anyway, over to you guys to decide...QUOTE]

I guess this is an argument that will never be resolved! I see that the BOU list categorises it as a C4 species - domesticated species that have established a wild feral population.

Personally I don't count it, but I can see that there is an argument for doing so in that it is a self-sustaining population. However it is slightly different to the populations of, for instance, Mandarin and Little Owl in that it is a feral population of a species already on the UK list, i.e. Rock Dove.

Whether there are any genuine wild ones at Upton is another point entirely. I know there are at least three flocks from pigeon lofts in the vicinity, just not sure about the odd one that arrives on its own. But there again, as I'm not counting it (other than on the all-dayers) it doesn't really matter.

I guess it would be more palatable to tick it, at least from a personal point of view, if they all actually looked like Rock Doves! Instead we have the motley collection of colours that result from years of tinkering by those that keep and breed pigeons.

Cheers
Mike

Hope to be abandoning the raft at the Flashes steps tomorrow around 10 o'clock. Of course, there'll be two of us... so if anyone else wants to be there we could move it to the launch area, or float it if the Master of the Boat is present. Either way, do any of the wardens mind if I take my mate (who has significantly helped to build the raft) to the main Flashes hide for a few minutes, to give him a taste of the Flashes fascination?

Spent a few hours at UW today, had a fantastic view of a Garden Warbler (cheers dave :t:).

Apart from that it was pretty quiet, apart from a fleeting visit by a female White Wag on the flashes.

If we do that there's no saying what we might end up seeing B :) ;)

Regretably I won't be bringing any as I'm walking to Upton as part of the Green birding day initiative. The sacrifices I make for the planet. Might get the wife to drop some round in the car though. Only joking Gary8-P

Hope to be abandoning the raft at the Flashes steps tomorrow around 10 o'clock. Of course, there'll be two of us... so if anyone else wants to be there we could move it to the launch area, or float it if the Master of the Boat is present. Either way, do any of the wardens mind if I take my mate (who has significantly helped to build the raft) to the main Flashes hide for a few minutes, to give him a taste of the Flashes fascination?

Sy
Wont we need gravel on top before we float it/them,
Can float it next Tuesday, will get some chain/metal cable and a bucket of cement ,
re your mate not a problem mate anybody helping with habitat creation is welcome.;)
JohnB :)

Spent a few hours at UW today, had a fantastic view of a Garden Warbler (cheers dave :t:).

Glad you got it Gav...

1. Managed to get a record shot of the other Garden Warbler (in the education reserve).

2. A record shot of this afternoon's Ringed Plover (with LRP)

3. The World's most photographed Sedge Warbler....

Attachments

• Garden Warbler Ed Res 050511.jpg
    Garden Warbler Ed Res 050511.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 94
  • RP and LRP 050511.jpg
    RP and LRP 050511.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Sedge Warbler Flashes 050511.jpg
    Sedge Warbler Flashes 050511.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 81
Glad you got it Gav...

1. Managed to get a record shot of the other Garden Warbler (in the education reserve).

2. A record shot of this afternoon's Ringed Plover (with LRP)

3. The World's most photographed Sedge Warbler....

What do you think of the ringed plover Dave? small enough, similar in shape to LRP ie long primary projection and darker than hiaticula...thus Tundra a bit early mind but was not much bigger than LRP
B :)John

What do you think of the ringed plover Dave? small enough, similar in shape to LRP ie long primary projection and darker than hiaticula...thus Tundra a bit early mind but was not much bigger than LRP
B :)John

Certainly looks small and attenuated, so could be. I'll consult some literature. :king:

I certainly think photos can be a help in trying to ID potential sub-species, although I'm sure there will be someone making a case made for taking notes ... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back