• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (28 Viewers)

Down to the mecca before 5am, a cool and misty start.

Dont know about mecca, felt more like Gala Bingo today - no passage at all. In addition to John's sightings there were 3 Gadwall at the Moors Pool (so 5 across the reserve), 6 Common Tern, 3 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, Kingfisher, 5 Lapwing, 1 ad & 1 chick Oyk (plus hopefully others hiding in the long grass) and Willow Warbler still singing on east side. Also a young Robin by the gate to the west track.

2 'tundra' race ringed plover arrived at 7pm also an obvious influx of LRP with at least 9 adults. Only 1 curlew came into roost.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, thanks for that, I've arranged to go next friday to see my parents (who live in Dorset), I will definately check out Studland Heath sounds great.

My dad is well excited too, he wants to do some birding with me, it'll be the first time since I was a child so we're bothing looking forward to it.

P.S. Your list is amazing, Stone Curlew is a must species for me, sounds like you had a very fruitful trip :t:

I saw 4 Stone Curlews at Weeting Heath this afternoon (including 1 chick). 2 Stone Curlews were also observed by friends of mine, who I had arranged to meet at Lakenheath RSPB, at a site close to Lakenheath. On the reserve I saw a drake Garganey, a Bittern in flight, Marsh Harriers and heard a Golden Oriole singing from the Trial Plantation. Sadly the bird did not show for the many eager eyes hoping to catch a glimpse of this tuneful songster.

The day before had seen me stationed in the Avocet Hide at Cley Marshes at 4.15am, after having spent a largely sleepless night in my car at Salthouse. There was no sign -again - of the Great Snipe, which I had dipped on 3 days running the previous week - the Lesser Yellowlegs, Shore Larks(2), Temminck's Stint(2), Little Terns(2), male Bearded Tit, Spoonbill, Short-eared Owl and Wood Sandpiper providing the highlights of that visit. After about an hour I returned to my car, parked at the Visitors' Centre, to get some more sleep.That afternoon I visited Burnham Norton, where I saw the female Red-necked Phalarope, 2 adult Spoonbills and a Hobby, plus I heard a Quail calling. 2 Water Voles - a first for me - had a bit of a squabble in the channel in front of the pool where the Phalarope was showing. I returned to Cley for an evening session in the Avocet hide, again to no avail.

This morning, as I left the B&B I had booked for the night - The Three Horseshoes in Warham-All-Saints - I was greeted by my first Spotted Flycatcher of this year, perched on the wires opposite the pub singing his little heart out. But the highlight of the day came a bit nearer home when at 8.30pm having made my way via Weedon, Northants and dipping on the Black Stork that's been there for a week or so, I, along with Midlands Birder, his father, Matt Griffiths (the local patch man and finder of the bird) and a few other folk, saw the Night Heron fly across Windmill Pool at Earlswood Lakes. That was my 5th "lifer" this year.

P.S. Gavo, I visited Aylesbeare Common (near Exeter) last year and gained some cracking views of Nightjar there.

Last edited:
Despite a great run of rare and scarce birds in recent years, it is now nearly 15 years since Upton Warren yielded up a County First for Worcestershire (the Laughing Gull on the 26th August 1996).

Since then another 10 birds have been added to the County list:

- White-rumped Sandpiper (Bredon's Hardwick, Sept 1996)
- Great White Egret (Westwood Pool, Sept 1999)
- Surf Scoter (Westwood Pool, October 2000)
- Red-footed Falcon (Westwood Pool, May 2001)
- Lesser Scaup (Grimley, February 2006)
- Squacco Heron (Hanley Swan, June 2007)
- Lapland Bunting (Grimley, October 2007)
- American Wigeon (Westwood Pool, Jan 2008)
- Glossy Ibis (Holt, November 2009)
- Spotted Sandpiper (Westwood Pool, May 2011)

With five of the above records it looks like Westwood is stealing all our headline birds!

Hi Gav,

I had good views of a male Nightjar yesterday evening at Dersingham Bog, Norfolk. If you're heading for Dorset, I can recommend Studland Heath for this species - I've had fabulous views of them there, too.:t:

Hi Dave

Are the nightjars still up on Cannock Chase? I've never got round to seeing one myself either and unlike Gav I have no relatives in Dorset :smoke: still off to windy South Uist on Friday so hopefully some nice birds there for me

Mike

Despite a great run of rare and scarce birds in recent years, it is now nearly 15 years since Upton Warren yielded up a County First for Worcestershire (the Laughing Gull on the 26th August 1996).

Since then another 10 birds have been added to the County list:

- White-rumped Sandpiper (Bredon's Hardwick, Sept 1996)
- Great White Egret (Westwood Pool, Sept 1999)
- Surf Scoter (Westwood Pool, October 2000)
- Red-footed Falcon (Westwood Pool, May 2001)
- Lesser Scaup (Grimley, February 2006)
- Squacco Heron (Hanley Swan, June 2007)
- Lapland Bunting (Grimley, October 2007)
- American Wigeon (Westwood Pool, Jan 2008)
- Glossy Ibis (Holt, November 2009)
- Spotted Sandpiper (Westwood Pool, May 2011)

With five of the above records it looks like Westwood is stealing all our headline birds!

Hi Phil,

Just a small point - the Glossy Ibis was first discovered at Grimley before relocating to Holt:t:

Brian

Hi Dave

Are the nightjars still up on Cannock Chase? I've never got round to seeing one myself either and unlike Gav I have no relatives in Dorset :smoke: still off to windy South Uist on Friday so hopefully some nice birds there for me

Mike

Hi Mike

Yep, Cannock Chase is the stronghold in the West Midlands region for this species with estimates of up to 75 churring males (WMBC annual report, 2002). It's a large area (~26 square miles) but if you put yourself in any area of suitable habitat on a still, warm evening you've got a really good chance of hearing them (and seeing them if you're lucky). The area around the Katyn memorial / Sherbrook Valley is as good as any. Listen out for begging calls of juv LE Owls and roding Woodcocks also. :t:

Hi Mike

Yep, Cannock Chase is the stronghold in the West Midlands region for this species with estimates of up to 75 churring males (WMBC annual report, 2002). It's a large area (~26 square miles) but if you put yourself in any area of suitable habitat on a still, warm evening you've got a really good chance of hearing them (and seeing them if you're lucky). The area around the Katyn memorial / Sherbrook Valley is as good as any. Listen out for begging calls of juv LE Owls and roding Woodcocks also. :t:

Thanks for that Dave, might give it a shot when I get back off holiday

Mike

Hi Mike

Just be careful around the car parks for break-ins / doggers .....

Stuart recorded a ringed second summer Lesser Black-backed Gull at the Flashes last week; its details are as follows:

Blue HZC [Born 2009]

FH33093 N 5 24/04/10 SGD Gloucester Landfill Site, Gloucestershire. 51.51N 02.16W
O 5 Sighted 11/10/10 JDS Gloucester Landfill Site, Gloucestershire (170 days)
S 7 Sighted 15/05/11 PA Upton-Warren, near Bromsgrove, Worcestershire (52 km, NNE, 1 yr 21days)

Stuart recorded a ringed second summer Lesser Black-backed Gull at the Flashes last week; its details are as follows:

Blue HZC [Born 2009]

FH33093 N 5 24/04/10 SGD Gloucester Landfill Site, Gloucestershire. 51.51N 02.16W
O 5 Sighted 11/10/10 JDS Gloucester Landfill Site, Gloucestershire (170 days)
S 7 Sighted 15/05/11 PA Upton-Warren, near Bromsgrove, Worcestershire (52 km, NNE, 1 yr 21days)

Hi Phil where was it born?

Chiffchaff brood

Discovered these 6 fledgling Chiffchaffs being fed by their parents - confirmed breeding on the moors.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff fledgelings.jpg
    Chiffchaff fledgelings.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 104
The dragonfly is a Club-tailed. Where did you see it? It's a river species. Don't know about the other image.

Des.

Well im actually chuffed about that, cause i Id'd it right, i also posted on the dragonfly fourum with it asking if it was club tailed :king:
It was next to the river in Stourport near blackstone :-O
MB

Well im actually chuffed about that, cause i Id'd it right, i also posted on the dragonfly fourum with it asking if it was club tailed :king:
It was next to the river in Stourport near blackstone :-O
MB

The County Recorder, Mike Averill, would be interested in your record.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back