• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

" I (and Mike) am meeting with the Trust......." I didn't know you were from the Black Country Dave?

Des.

Arr, Des, didn't yow know I'm from Quarry Bonk ;)

I think putting the (and Mike) in parentheses is my only excuse - not sure it's gramatically correct though. I'm sure there'll be plenty of pedants on here to put me right. :-O

On a more serious note, any sign of building activity on the flashes today??

Arr, Des, didn't yow know I'm from Quarry Bonk ;)

I think putting the (and Mike) in parentheses is my only excuse - not sure it's gramatically correct though. I'm sure there'll be plenty of pedants on here to put me right. :-O

On a more serious note, any sign of building activity on the flashes today??

That's your second strange comment of the evening! No work today. I thought that next Tuesday was D-day? No chance.:-O

Des.

Think it would have been quicker to grow a new hide from seed :-O

If the hide isn't finished by the time the Jan work-party date then I presume the metal barrier fencing will still be in place. Does that mean we'll have to break into the Flashes to do any work :eek!:

I'm glad to hear that Dave. It is a credit to the Wardens discretion that perhaps such questions were not voiced sooner on a public forum by the regular visitors to the reserve. As someone who is merely a trust subscriber ( allbeit PRINCE 2 qualified for my sins ;) ), I think the progress, or lack of, this venture should be questioned.

With your qualifications maybe we should've put you forward to manage this project, Mark.

It does strike me that there exists a wealth of skills and experience within the members and visitors at Upton Warren and it is a sad indictment that the (Trust) people running this project have spent so little time on site that they're totally ignorant of the potential human resources on offer. There are even 2 RICS-accredited volunteers that were not even consulted during the planning phase for these hides! If they had they'd surely have avoided the current difficulties. A bit of a wasted opportunity IMHO. :t:

With your qualifications maybe we should've put you forward to manage this project, Mark.

It does strike me that there exists a wealth of skills and experience within the members and visitors at Upton Warren and it is a sad indictment that the (Trust) people running this project have spent so little time on site that they're totally ignorant of the potential human resources on offer. There are even 2 RICS-accredited volunteers that were not even consulted during the planning phase for these hides! If they had they'd surely have avoided the current difficulties. A bit of a wasted opportunity IMHO. :t:

Perhaps a précis of all volunteers qualifications sent to the Trust might help them going forward. Not that I'd appear on it mind you :-O

Dave i didnt know you were / are from Quarry Bonk, strange cos in the conversations i have had with you i have never heard you use God in a sentence. regards Dennis

Ok, this isn't Upton Warren based but I'm sure it is something we all feel strongly about.

Please help protect our Birds of Prey. Call for the iintroduction of offence of vicarious liability for raptor persecution in England. So please sign this petition:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Scotland, recognising that those who persecute birds of prey frequently do so at the direction of their employers or others with vested interests, has introduced an offence of vicarious liability, the purpose of which is to bring those parties to justice. This petition calls on the government to introduce an offence of vicarious liability to bring to justice those who direct or turn a blind eye to raptor persecution in England.

As an indication of how bad thing are, in the last year only four pairs of hen harriers successfully reared chicks in England, fourteen peregrine falcon territories failed on grouse moors in Lancs forest of Bowland, and only one successful goshawk nest was recorded in the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire. Current legislation is not enough to deter those who break the law and destroy our heritage; the introduction of vicarious liability would hit those directing the slaughter.

Having had the privilege of seeing more Hen Harriers in one week than I have in my whole lifetime when I visited North Uist in June I have duly signed this petition. :t:

From what I gather there was little sign of any activity yesterday. At this rate, I'll be surprised if it's finished this year.:C

Dont forget that the construction of the hide is only part of the project - there are also meant to be boardwalk, fencing and hurdle works to follow.

The intention had been to spend the first hour or so of the January work party tidying up around the hide and naturalising its setting but it looks like we wont be in a position to do so.

Dont forget that the construction of the hide is only part of the project - there are also meant to be boardwalk, fencing and hurdle works to follow.

The intention had been to spend the first hour or so of the January work party tidying up around the hide and naturalising its setting but it looks like we wont be in a position to do so.

I've got a feeling the Avocets will be back before all that happens. Let's see what excuses the Trust come out with this evening.

I've got a feeling the Avocets will be back before all that happens. Let's see what excuses the Trust come out with this evening.

Ha that's a good point Dave :eek!:

Good luck at the meeting, I'm sure you will be able to run rings around them :t:

Dave i didnt know you were / are from Quarry Bonk, strange cos in the conversations i have had with you i have never heard you use God in a sentence. regards Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'm not really from Quarry Bank but I did spend the best part of 15 years working in the Black Country - I think a bit of it rubbed off on me. Cheers ;):t:

I have very happy memories of growing up in Dudley, great place in the 70's, early 80's. The days when you knew the name of every family in your road and the adjacent ones, and people said hello to each other, you walked to school, and played out til 10pm without it involving the Police ;). Jason K is a Blackcountry Mon too..so watchit !!! 8-P

During this quiet birding month and the fact that we don't yet appear to have a decent hide at the flashes yet, it's always good to have a bit of a debate!
Following some comments regarding artificial Kingfisher perches I have done a little internet research regarding Sparrowhawks preying on these birds. As we know we are blessed with a good representation of Sparrowhawks (and other birds of prey) at Upton Warren, and my concern is whether the artificial perches we encourage Kingfishers to perch on increases the risk of a Kingfisher becoming prey to one of these raptors.
I think we all know that Sparrowhawks in particular don't hunt just Sparrows (we aren't blessed with those at UW!) but over 120 bird prey species have been recorded. They are not fussy and they are only about 30% successful in each strike.
Sparrowhawks do spend some time observing regularly used habitats to increase their chances and bird tables are of course a favourite hunting ground for them, so by creating out in the open perches are we in fact increasing the risk of Kingfishers getting caught?
More often than not I see them perched on reeds and branches within reeds where there is more natural cover. I must admit I've not seen a Sparrowhawk have a go at a Kingfisher at UW. But it only takes a couple of strikes, and we only probably have 2 or 3 Kingfishers so is prevention better than cure?
So, to my internet research - nothing substantial to back this up, other than the odd report of a Sparrowhawk having a go at a Kingfisher and/or Kingfisher feathers found in the nest of Sparrowhawks.
I'd be interested in any comments and indeed observations.

During this quiet birding month and the fact that we don't yet appear to have a decent hide at the flashes yet, it's always good to have a bit of a debate!
Following some comments regarding artificial Kingfisher perches I have done a little internet research regarding Sparrowhawks preying on these birds. As we know we are blessed with a good representation of Sparrowhawks (and other birds of prey) at Upton Warren, and my concern is whether the artificial perches we encourage Kingfishers to perch on increases the risk of a Kingfisher becoming prey to one of these raptors.
I think we all know that Sparrowhawks in particular don't hunt just Sparrows (we aren't blessed with those at UW!) but over 120 bird prey species have been recorded. They are not fussy and they are only about 30% successful in each strike.
Sparrowhawks do spend some time observing regularly used habitats to increase their chances and bird tables are of course a favourite hunting ground for them, so by creating out in the open perches are we in fact increasing the risk of Kingfishers getting caught?
More often than not I see them perched on reeds and branches within reeds where there is more natural cover. I must admit I've not seen a Sparrowhawk have a go at a Kingfisher at UW. But it only takes a couple of strikes, and we only probably have 2 or 3 Kingfishers so is prevention better than cure?
So, to my internet research - nothing substantial to back this up, other than the odd report of a Sparrowhawk having a go at a Kingfisher and/or Kingfisher feathers found in the nest of Sparrowhawks.
I'd be interested in any comments and indeed observations.

Like the fact that you have looked at this from the other side Gert.Never give it much though before. Are they placed primarily to aid the hunting of fish , or to provide a photo opportunity ? Sort of warrrants a 'risk assessment'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back