• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cumbrian hooded crow. (1 Viewer)

paulst

I have already posted this in the wrong place once whilst introducing myself :C anyway, we have in Carlisle a hooded crow x carrion living across the road from us. I have never seen one this far south, and consider it very unusual. Has anybody any comments or experience of these birds here?

Cheers.

Being so close to Scotland I wouldnt have thought its exactly unheard of but note worthy i would think,the few times I've been to Scotland I seem to have to go a fair way up before seeing Hoddies not just over the border.
I think some Hoddies move south during the winter and some of them are still making their way back though thats usually more down the east coast.

Hi Adam, it has been here for about 6 weeks and seems to be in the company of a normal carrion. As you say I always have to go a long way north even from here to see them usually. My first in Carlisle in 53 years. Took some photos just to convince myself.

Odd individuals wander south. There was one (possibly still is, although it'd be getting on now) for some years at South Stack on Angelsey, and I've encountered singles in Anfield Cemetry, Liverpool, and flying over the A14 near Newmarket.

James

Just about every year we get the odd Hooded Crow locally. It's generally thought they maybe vagrants from the Netherlands rather than Scotland. Similarly previous years we've seen one near Bempton and this year one was at Filey around the same date one was reported in Northumberland. Our local one moved on a week or so ago, at least it's not been reported since.

For several years they cross-bred at Low Barns in County Durham and we had 4-5 hybrids around but they seem to have all gone now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back