• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need opinion on a few models, including Cabela's (1 Viewer)

SPARTACVS

Hello and welcome me as this is my first post here (but not my first visit on the forum).

What I have now is an old Audubon 7x26. I'm shopping for a 8x42 binocular for when I'm kayaking, mainly for bird watching. I've notice that at Cabelas.ca, they have a few specials (I'm from Québec). I have spotted a few models and i was wondering if I can find a good deal on one of them as I am not in a hurry. Of course, I know that a hand-on test is needed but I want to have some opinions on a few models, including some Cabela's rebranded models as I couldn't find anything about them.

Must be waterproof and I wear eyeglass. Optic quality is important but I want to avoid heavy binoculars.
Ordering from U.S. is not an option and I cannot stand ebay.

From Cabelas.ca:

Minox 8x42mm BL Waterproof Binoculars
Item 604433
$569.99 $389.99
Great deal but beyond my budget of 300$.

Cabela's XT Full-Size Binoculars
Item 609000
$327.99 $229.99
Good special and within my price range.

Cabela's Pine Ridge Porro - Prism Binoculars
Item 609040
$179.99 $139.99
Decent special but I can invest more (if it's really worth it). Actually, I was initially looking at the Leupold 8x42 porro Cascade as size doesn't really matter.

At another store ( http://www.latulippe.com/fr/produits/departements/optique/?sd=01&ssd=01 ), they have:

Vortex Diamondback from 270$ to 200$. Again, I can invest a little more.

There is an interesting third store but they don't have a good special right now. http://www.lenaturaliste.ca/en/categories.php?cat=230

Is there anything really worth it, should I wait for the upcoming Bushnell Legend Ultra HD, wait for a real good deal later, buy something else, etc?

Thanks a lot for your comments. If you need more info just ask.

Last edited:
Out of the group you listed I have no experience with the Minox but I see it gets some decent reviews from others. I would personally opt for the Cascade porro out of the bench. It offers noticeably better overall image quality in comparison to the original Diamondbacks, Cabelas XTs and the Cabelas Pine Ridge. The latter is actually quite good for the price but the former seemed to suffer from multiple quality control issues when I tried a few samples of them. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like them considering the physical package they are offered in but the image was a disappointment.

The Bushnell Legend Ultra HD should prove interesting. Estimated arrival, this time, is mid-July. For the price I would be genuinely surprised if they are a huge improvement over the original Legends but I have been wrong before.

As for a "good deal" those Cascade porros have been selling in Ebay for $140-$150. Short of saving up $200 more and getting a Zen ED I would suggest going with the Cascade porros.

Cabella's binoculars are made by different makers, depending on the model. The Meopta model seemed nice (the "Euro") last I checked them out. The new Diamondbacks are supposed to be brighter, so may be worth a look, and you might also want to check out the Zen-Ray "Zen" and "ZRS". Eagle Optics and Zen-Ray have a 30-day return policy, if you don't like them.

Maybe consider an 8x32 alternative. It would be much more handy in the context of a kayak, without sacrificing too much optical performance. Might also be a little more robust.

It's not easy to order across the border and I want to avoid that. That is why Zen ray is not an option. I couldn't find the porro cascade in Canada.

According to FrankD, the Cabela's models doesn't seems such good deals considering the QC issues. Except maybe the porro pine ridge. The price is weird because even at full price, the 8x42 is much lower then the 10x and 12x. It is suspicious.

I'm not sure if the Vortex Dimondback in special are the old in clearance. Any differences between the two so I can verify that?

Thanks,

Last edited:
For $300(USD), why not check out the Pentax DCF WP & the Nikon Monarch lines? Unless it's a border issue thing?

cabelas bins

Cabelas has a "Bargain Cave" where optics are heavily discounted, and not just because of return/recondition status. They have a code to identify that. Some things are discontinued for odd reasons. I found a pair of Zeiss Diafun, brand new for $269 there a year ago...Bro. Steve

Spart,

Actually I was referring to the Pine Ridge roofs. I have never tried the Pine Ridge porros.

I would be willing to bet that any Diamondbacks on special are the older models being cleared out before the new ones arrive some time in the next month.

Spart,

Actually I was referring to the Pine Ridge roofs. I have never tried the Pine Ridge porros.

Thanks for the clear up. I'm always confused by both terms. probably a bit of dislexia :)

The special on the pine roof prism is ridiculous so I'll wait for a better deal. I have also decided to really invest that 300$ in a decent-good deal. I want to see a significant difference from my old 7x26 bushnell audubon.

etudiant,
As for 8x42, well, most marine binos are 7x50 so I think an 8x42 is a good trade-off and I already have a decent pair of compact. But I'll be happy to hear your point. Specially since I will most probably use them a bit outside of kayaking.

thanks

Last edited:
Well, I ended up buying a Bushnell Legend porro 8x42, based on recommendation here. Was 170$, reduced to 131$ and because it was a demo, I paid 120$. The large caps seems not to be originals but they fit perfectly. But I'm gonna have to do a little duck tape+rope job because those caps have nothing to hold them when removed. So easy to lose...

My initial impression. Well, I have the feeling I have a pair of low-mid-range binoculars for a low price (even at full price it is a good choice). They are a bit bulky but for kayaking it doesn't matter. Also, the vendor told me they are tough, which is important. Weight is decent. They seemed lighter than the swift premier horizon (which were also nice). Depth and field of view are good. Focusing wheel has an average tension. Think I prefer something easier to move but it's more personal.

Clarity across the view is good but I found it not as good as higher level binoculars. Still, it's barely notable.

All in all a very good recommendation. Thanks folks.

Last edited:
I think you made an excellent choice. I have a pair of the Legend porros and believe that your description of them matches my opinion of them as well. They are a good, solid, relatively inexpensive binocular. The large field of view an sharp centerfield makes them very easy to use for a variety of applications.

The original price though sounds a bit high. If I google them I believe they typically sell right between $100-$125 most places...or at least they did recently. No biggie though as I do believe I would pay $170 for the quality of image that they provide.

I think you made an excellent choice. I have a pair of the Legend porros and believe that your description of them matches my opinion of them as well. They are a good, solid, relatively inexpensive binocular. The large field of view an sharp centerfield makes them very easy to use for a variety of applications.

The original price though sounds a bit high. If I google them I believe they typically sell right between $100-$125 most places...or at least they did recently. No biggie though as I do believe I would pay $170 for the quality of image that they provide.

Hello FrankD,

Honestly, I think you were the one to advertise these binoculars.

For the price, remember, it's Canadian dollars... There is a huge difference here. Not much big deals and many companies cannot be bough here. For example, the 3 popular models recommended here for mid-price (Zen Ray/Frontier Hawke/Promaster Infinity ED roofs) has to be acquired in the U.S. The regular price at Eagleoptics.ca is 180$.

With the canadian dollar going up, the price difference should be a bit smaller in the next few months. Another solution is to make a small trip in the U.S if you are not too far. But it's worth it only for mid-high-priced, better if you go there for another reason and warranties can be problematic. While I was not in a hurry, we have a small kayaking trip planned for early July so it was much better to have them for that.

Thanks,

For the price, remember, it's Canadian dollars...

Ahh, now that makes sense. In which case, yes, it seems you received quite a good deal.

..and, truth be told, I thought I recommended the Legend porros but not in this thread. When I went back through it above I noticed I recommended the Cascade porros (also very good) but recommended the Legend porros over in the "sub-$100 8x42 thread".

You cannot really go wrong with either. Inexpensive porros have alot to offer if given the chance.

Ahh, now that makes sense. In which case, yes, it seems you received quite a good deal.

..and, truth be told, I thought I recommended the Legend porros but not in this thread. When I went back through it above I noticed I recommended the Cascade porros (also very good) but recommended the Legend porros over in the "sub-$100 8x42 thread".

You cannot really go wrong with either. Inexpensive porros have alot to offer if given the chance.

Yes FrankD, it was in another thread. In this one, you recommended The cascade porro but I couldn't find them anywhere in Canada. The store I bough them is a specialized store in Québec City (Le Naturiste). They said they had Leupold before but could not get decent prices. Distributor problem. The distributor for Bushnell wasn't good for service so this is why they are dropping them (hope I won't have any problems). I used to work in outdoor gear stores not long ago and distributors were a frequent source of problems. Other time, it's the company itself.

Also, for the weight of the Legend, I'm not sure if they are as heavy as you think. Bushnell advertise them as being 24 oz. Even if the number is a bit BS, we can add a 10% and they will then be the same weight of most 8x42 roof (the zen-ray ed are advertised as 27oz. Of course it can be a question of weight distribution or maybe you have an old model.

Ah, and for cabela's, I decided to avoid them as they don't write any spec on their website. Specs are just specs but it allows to make first choices.

Last edited:
Also, for the weight of the Legend, I'm not sure if they are as heavy as you think. Bushnell advertise them as being 24 oz. Even if the number is a bit BS, we can add a 10% and they will then be the same weight of most 8x42 roof (the zen-ray ed are advertised as 27oz. Of course it can be a question of weight distribution or maybe you have an old model.

You may be right on the weight of the Legend porros. They are physically a bit bigger than similar configured models (Orion Ultraview, Cascade porro, etc...) but that is more because of their choice of rubber armor. I do not mind the physical weight of them if that makes any difference. It is just that they would not be my first choice if weight was a concern.

You may be right on the weight of the Legend porros. They are physically a bit bigger than similar configured models (Orion Ultraview, Cascade porro, etc...) but that is more because of their choice of rubber armor. I do not mind the physical weight of them if that makes any difference. It is just that they would not be my first choice if weight was a concern.

Ok time for a little more imput now that I had used them a little bit.

So far I'm impressed by the bushnell legend porro 8x42. Not that it is a fantastic product but an excellent price/performance product. They have a very good image quality, fov and depth. They seems robust and the neckstrap is decent.

Of course it comes to the compromise of weight and size. But I wanted an inexpensive binocular so I had to make some trade-off. They are mainly for kayaking so weight is not an issue.

The image is not perfectly clear all across and there seems to have a little fog but nothing to stop enjoying the good view. My girlfriend also like them :)

Conclusion: for those who need waterproof and if weight is not an issue, one of the best choice available.

Good recommendation, thank you.

Glad to see they worked out for you. I think you are entirely correct in saying they are a fantastic price/performance binocular. I have never regretted purchasing mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back