• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are all the Swallows? (1 Viewer)

A few weeks ago I did a request for information in regards to the shortage of Chiffchaff and got some great responses.
I can now confirm that we only did get 50% of our usual Chiffchaffs back on territory.

Now then a few weeks have passed and its more than probable all our Swallows are back.

But one of our local farms has only got back about 8 birds, yet in most years he does have about 15-20 pairs (30-40 birds). It really does not look like they are coming.

Again is anyone else experiencing this? Is it going on throughout the Country or is this perhaps just a "one off" case.

I would love to hear from anyone else who is also experiencing this. By the way the Martins seem to be doing OK (in numbers), yet the Swifts are still slightly down.

Thanks
Birderbryan.
(I Love Arnside and Silverdale)

I have noticed here that things are 'delayed'. Had a Whinchat in the garden yesterday at 700m altitude - normally they breed up the mountain c.1500m!!

Check out this migration website which still has a lot of House Martins, Swifts etc. coming through. They could be on their way north!

http://www.migraction.net/index.php...2013&frmSpecies=0&frmPrePost=-&frmDoy=147&f=0

I remember things last year were also late with there being buckets of birds in Spain and none in France - that was the begining of May. This weather has got to break soon - its becoming less of a joke now!

Worrying lack of aerial insectivores in Bristol still. A few Swifts but...where are they all? Fewer Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and small passerines in general too.

Swallows doing quite well here, though their numbers appear to be down slightly. This can be said of swifts too. Chiffchaff numbers most certainly down. Only 2 singing birds on my patch when there is generally about 6. Blackcaps and willow warblers doing well though.

Visited family in Sussex a fortnight ago. Saw more nightingales than swallows. Only saw 2 of the latter, very poor. There again this is not surprising. Many farms there seem to be totally tidied up to the point of being sterilised for the horse stud or barn conversion brigade.

Si.

I visited Shropshire last month and saw lots of swallows. Not seen any here in this part of Hampshire yet.

A few weeks ago at Lochwinnoch there was a group several hundred strong, of swallows, sand martins, house martins and swifts feeding over Barr Loch. It was a tremendous sight.

The Hirundines and Swifts have all been markedly late this year (our detailed records over many years at Selsey Bill confirms this), but large numbers appear to be back now.

I also agree with the comments about Chats, I was in Speyside two weeks ago and saw 4 Wheatears all week and no Whinchats (heard reports that week of just two in the whole area)

I do feel it is largely the birds delaying their arrival though rather than any major drop in numbers.

For what it's worth there are still the odd ones arriving in Spain from Africa.I do not keep records on swallows so I can't say whether they are late or not but the ones in my town are now feeding young as are the house martins and swifts.This is usual for this time of year although we have had a wet and cold spring here as well....Eddy

Hi just to let you no plenty of swallows here on the coast eastbourne and 7am today saw lots of swifts through my velux window still in bed lovely start to the day
Bert

Small numbers but i saw more swifts flying over my garden yesterday evening than I've ever seen here before, which was quite encouraging!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back