• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

Just posting this to make sure that those interested in spoonbills have seen the other threads on spoonbills on birdforum here and here. I found the link to Sibley's website, and especially the videos very interesting (but us China-folk have to find a way to see Youtube!) fascinating to see the birds' feeding technique, as well as to read Sibley's observations (altogether perhaps 5 entries on spoonbills so far).

Yes, I've really enjoyed the Sibley articles... I wonder if he has seen these threads? So many people are/are becoming interested in spoonbilled sands. I just wish we could do something tangible to help them.

Ken

on 13/14 Mar in Rudong there were lots of waders,but almost no spring waders.
Will visit Rudong and surrounding areas in late Mar.
See yr PM for coordinate.

4 Spooner with a little breeding plumage today in Rudong.Will visit another site in Rudong tmr to see if there r more.

the HK Government has closed Mai Po for 21 days because a dead Barn Swallow was found with H5 virus nearby - see the Govt and WWF press releases here.

A reminder that this is nonsense:

How many proven cases of human H5N1 infection from wild birds anywhere in the world?

ZERO

Cheers
Mike

Happy Birthday Mcaribou! and congratulations on such a nice sighting for the day!

(I guess that the ones you are seeing are in flocks with other sandpipers?)

the HK Government has closed Mai Po for 21 days because a dead Barn Swallow was found with H5 virus nearby - see the Govt and WWF press releases here.

A reminder that this is nonsense:

How many proven cases of human H5N1 infection from wild birds anywhere in the world?

ZERO

Cheers
Mike

Terrible news Mike, I guess thats the important observation period wiped out!

today at Rudong,even with the very low tide,I saw one Spooner,and two Nordmann's Greenshank in a small flock of waders(about 1,500).

From last winnter to now, Minjiangkou(Fuzhou) always have few records every month, maybe will stay till May or later?

Although I have learnt about this wintering site this year, I don't think it is generally known about by many birders. Every single spooner is important. Good to know they've been there this winter, too.

Ken
:t:

today at Rudong,even with the very low tide,I saw one Spooner,and two Nordmann's Greenshank in a small flock of waders(about 1,500).

Thanks again Mcaribou, all important observations, keep up the good work and may you be blessed with a surprise lifer very soon :t:

17 Apr at Rudong I saw 21+ Spooner(probably more than 30) within 10 meters!
18 Apr at Dongtai,to the north of Rudong,a potential good shorebird site I found in winter,although rainy and low visibility,I saw 2 Spooner when the tide pushed them quite close.

17 Apr at Rudong I saw 21+ Spooner(probably more than 30) within 10 meters!
18 Apr at Dongtai,to the north of Rudong,a potential good shorebird site I found in winter,although rainy and low visibility,I saw 2 Spooner when the tide pushed them quite close.

Fantastic stuff, lucky you, bet there were quite a few nice red ones too! That's the most impressive count of spooners I think I heard of from China in recent years, well done.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back