• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 8x30 Broadfield Compact info (1 Viewer)

Hey, folks.

This is my first post here at Bird Forum. I tried to find some info about this bino on the site, but didn't see anything.

Does anyone have any info on the Bushnell 8x30 Broadfield Compact roof prisms with an 8.5 degree FOV?

Mine were made in Japan, probably in the early 1980s. I just sent them to Bushnell for servicing (loose ocular, slight collimation problem) and am hoping they can fix them.

Anyway, any info on this model--such as, where in the Bushnell line-up they fit--would be appreciated. I bought mine used years ago, and while I know the coatings and all that aren't up to modern snuff, they do have a good feel to them.

(For what it's worth, my other bins are Leitz Trinovid 7x35s and Pentax DCF 8x42 HRc. I just bought the Pentax (used) and they haven't arrived yet, and I'm thinking of sending the Leitz off for servicing--after 25 years, I reckon they deserve it!)

Thanks for whatever help folks can give me in regard to the Bushnell Broadfields!

--Nath

Last edited:
Thanks, lilcrazy2!

I'll try contacting Elkcub. I found one of his posts, of test he ran regarding apparent size and depth of image using some Swaros, Nikons, and the Bushnell Broadfield 8x30. (Funny thing is, I'd read that post, but forgotten which forum it was in--I thought it was in the Cloudy Nights forum!)

Thanks for directing me in Elkcub's direction!

n

Hi nath,

This is pg. 15 from Bushnell's 1976 catalog, showing the 8x30 "Power Banner Broadfield Compact." The price schedule lists it at $136.50, which is more than the much heralded and truly deserving 7x26 Custom Compact reverse Porro listing at $125.50. The reason is the new (for it's day) roof prism design, which, incidentally, also employs an external moving bridge like the 7x42 Zeiss BGAT. As mentioned in my PM, there doesn't seem much to recommend it for day-to-day use. It has neither multicoatings nor phase coating, which makes for a pretty dark view, and my specimen isn't particularly sharp to boot.

Sorry to be negative, but there you have it. One freshly hatched opinion supporting 'out with the old, in with the new.' ;)

Regards,
Ed

Attachments

• Bushnell 1976 catalog p15.jpg
    Bushnell 1976 catalog p15.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,399
Thanks, Ed. Those are my 8x30 Broadfields, for sure.

Mine seem fairly sharp, but then they've never been collimated just-so, and that kinda makes it hard to tell just how sharp they really are.

But, yes, the coatings on modern optics today will leave these in the dust.

They do feel good in the hand , though.

Maybe today the letter from Bushnell's repair lab will arrive with the details of the repair and adjustment--or maybe what they're offering me as a replacement.

Thanks for the jpg!

nath

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back