• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrating Swallows (1 Viewer)

HytheBirds

Just saw a lovely sight. Thousands of swallows, over a period of 45mins flying over SE Kent enroute to warmer climes. Never seen it before. What an experience.

|:d|

P.S Here they come again!

Oh wow!!!! That must be an amazing sight :king: The past few wet days seem to have had them all pack their bags and head south - I've seen none since Sunday :smoke:

What a wonderful sight that must have been HytheBirds; I suppose you're more likely to witness this sort of thing than those of use who live up north.

A warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Thank you. The sight provoked me to sign up to this forum to tell everybody about them. I've posted the event on Facebook and some people are gutted they didn't witness it. Is there a chance we could see another migrating group during daylight tomorrow??

Just saw a lovely sight. Thousands of swallows, over a period of 45mins flying over SE Kent enroute to warmer climes. Never seen it before. What an experience.

|:d|

P.S Here they come again!

Hi there neighbour!

I witnessed the spectacle too today. I opened the blind at 7.30am and immediately noticed a stream of swallows low over the rooftop heading west. This continued with about 30-50 birds a minute till around 11am. Then this evening, hundreds more over the garden this time heading east!

While it's normal to see them at the cliffs and even over my garden, I've haven't witnessed such a sight with so many birds for many years - a wonderful thing to behold :t:

edit*
the chaps at next-door Dover counted some 6000 hirundines passing through in 45 minutes this morning! :eek!:

Last edited:
Well, Findhorn bay in Scotlands north had half a dozen come over the water heading south. Was shocked for this time of the year! Would love to have seen your massed migration though!

Hi and welcome to BirdForum :t:

This is the peak time for movement of hirundines so it is possible you may see more.

Another day of astounding hirundine movement at the cliffs - a staggering 22000 this morning! Although hardly a trickle over my garden compared to yesterday

Still got swallows and house martins feeding on the wing in Inverness. October and Swallow / house Martin flock is astounding.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back