• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about a bird (1 Viewer)

birdnewbie

I have a question about a bird I spotted in a lagoon like area on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. I am new at spotting birds and happened to choose a woefully inadequate field guide to try and identify this bird. I am currently taking a Vertebrate Zoology class in college and have a field journal due tommorrow before the exam so any help in identifying this bird would be greatly appreciated. (The sooner the better)
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• the bird.jpg
    the bird.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 175
Hi, Birdnewbie! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I'll leave the definite ID to others, but it looks to me like a Green Heron.

Good luck with your studies! :t:

birdnewbie said:
I have a question about a bird I spotted in a lagoon like area on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. I am new at spotting birds and happened to choose a woefully inadequate field guide to try and identify this bird. I am currently taking a Vertebrate Zoology class in college and have a field journal due tommorrow before the exam so any help in identifying this bird would be greatly appreciated. (The sooner the better)
Thanks so much!
This would be the Green Heron. I remember how happy I was when I first spotted this colorful heron.

Just woundered

I took this photo from the kitchen window. How unusual are Blackbirds with white tail feathers Ian

Ian, make sure the filesize of your photo is under 200kb and that your image size is no larger than 600 x 600. The other thing that you need to do is once you've "browsed" your filename and hit "upload," make sure you wait until you see the filename appear in the yellow window before closing. It can take a few seconds, or longer on dial-up connections. If you need more help, feel free to PM me. :t:

birdnewbie said:
Thanks so much!

I agree!
Classic pose, Green Heron, Butorides virescens, (for the avoidance of doubt as I seem to recall it is sometimes referred to as green-backed heron.

Grousemore said:
I agree!
Classic pose, Green Heron, Butorides virescens, (for the avoidance of doubt as I seem to recall it is sometimes referred to as green-backed heron.
Yeah, Green-backed is the old name for it and it was changed only a few years ago to just Green Heron. I liked the old name better because it isn't green all over, just on the back. ;)

Katy Penland said:
Yeah, Green-backed is the old name for it and it was changed only a few years ago to just Green Heron. I liked the old name better because it isn't green all over, just on the back. ;)

Thanks, Katy, nice to remember correctly occasionally ;)

Always thought it a misnomer though.

Yep, it's a female Blackbird with some white tail feathers and white feathering on Blackbirds is not particularly unusual for some reason. Tim

As Tim said, not all that unusual, actually for any species to exhibit this type of plumage. It's called "leucism" -- meaning a lack of pigment in the feathers. (Albinism is a lack of pigment in the soft tissues, eyes, skin, etc.). So what you have here is a leucistic blackbird.

Good job on the upload, Ian! :t:

Katy Penland said:
As Tim said, not all that unusual, actually for any species to exhibit this type of plumage. It's called "leucism" -- meaning a lack of pigment in the feathers. (Albinism is a lack of pigment in the soft tissues, eyes, skin, etc.). So what you have here is a leucistic blackbird.

Good job on the upload, Ian! :t:
Thanks Katy and Tim for the info
Ian

YEP a Green Heron

Grousemore said:
I agree!

Hi i know that is too late to send my opinion but definitely is a Butorides virencens

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back