• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

***Swaro SV ,,,Zeiss SF,,,, Leica HD+ - HELP!*** (1 Viewer)

Not to be snotty, but are you more concerned with the rubber than you are with the images?

You have to make this decision for yourself, using your eyes and your very own image-processing center in your very own brain.

Try not to obsess over irrelevancies.

Good luck in your search.

I have a 7x FL and a 8.5x SV and mostly use the 8.5x,
the edge to edge sharpness makes it very good for long distance detection of birds,
as less panning is needed, and I find more birds when locking the view on a particular spot and looking around in the FOV, so for long distance work I prefer the SV.
at closer range, the bigger FOV of the 7x (150m vs 133m) makes it easier to follow small birds, warblers etc,
but you can't get it both in the same bin, or?
actually you can, so give the SF a shot, very nice bin also,
with low weight and unique ergonomic features.

Last edited:
I love the SF 8x42 to bits but reading all that you have posted I really think you should try out the HT 8x42.

Only you can decide what suits you. Just make sure you try HT.

Lee

... also the Nikon EDG is a great design, IMO easiest to use premium binocular, perfect ease of view, smoothest focuser of all (!!!!!!! and I did put it in the freezer, to no effect except that it got very cold), great flat field implementation, best flare resistance, but a little bit darker than a HT or Ultravid HD Plus.

Ultravid became my favourite in the field, colors, brightness, compactness, ease of view.

A good sample of the Swarovision 8.5x should impress though...

... also the Nikon EDG is a great design, IMO easiest to use premium binocular, perfect ease of view, smoothest focuser of all (!!!!!!! and I did put it in the freezer, to no effect except that it got very cold), great flat field implementation, best flare resistance, but a little bit darker than a HT or Ultravid HD Plus.

Ultravid became my favourite in the field, colors, brightness, compactness, ease of view.

A good sample of the Swarovision 8.5x should impress though...

Tobias:

I agree with you about the Nikon EDG, it does everything well.

Another one to try is the Zeiss SF, the wider FOV, the handling and
balance are nice benefits.

I don't think you are done shopping unless you have tried these 2 also.

Jerry

It's all personal choice as to the feel of the binocular. However, there is one issue that I've never seen brought up which has to do with the benefits of a full flat field on the Swarovision.

When looking at very close objects, the view through the optics looks like a pair of Venn circles where the medial edge of one optic is located in the middle of the sweet spot of the other optic. The edge of the field of view in one eyepiece is always in the sweet spot of the other. This means that the edges of the optics are near the overall MIDDLE of my field of view.

I have found that the Swarovision removes the close-object binocular headache that I get when I look through a Leica Ultravid HD.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back