• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ross Stepruva 9X35 #4932 (1 Viewer)

RPA1991

Hello everyone,

First off I wish I could upload a photo, but apparently the resolution is too big!

Anyway, following a clear out I did some googling but still not certain what I have. The interesting thing for me is that I haven't yet seen stepruva's with a serial number as low as this, would this mean c. 1933/34?

Are these worth anything? (Not that I have any desire to sell) #15852 is currently on eBay for £85 posted. Apart from the serial # this pair and case look identical to mine, although mine has a thin leather strap.

Any info would be really appreciated!:king:

Welcome.
A nice binocular.
I have often thought of getting one, but haven't yet.

Most Ross employees are no longer available, but some binocular members here are likely to know the date.

Thanks Binastro, they do feel very nice... And that's all I know about binoculars! Rifle scopes on the other hand I could go on for hours about.

I should have also mentioned that these are by no means in pristine condition. My great grandfather used them throughout his service in the home guard so they have plenty of character enhancing chips and dings! Although they seem to work beautifully still.

Your Stepruva was made in the later 1950's. In 1954 Ross after changed ownership a new serial number series was introduced which is why it is low-numbered. It is a very nice wide-angle (7.8 deg FOV) binocular much favored by birdwatchers back in the day. This is an often posted picture of an excited Camilla at the races brandishing one: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02167/camilla-win_2167858k.jpg If in good condition eBay value's about $100 USD.

The Royal family are and have been avid horse racing fans and frequently use binoculars. Often Zeiss, but now Swarovski have royal appointment I think.
They are also excellent photographers and movie makers.
Her Majesty also trained on motor vehicle maintenance.
Many pilots, naval officers and a world authority on radio aerials.
They are technically minded.

Sorry, RPA1991, I was dating the # 15852 Stepruva. Yours, # 4932, would have been made a little earlier probably 1954-1955. Yours is hardly the first instance I've seen of family histories of binoculars getting a little mixed up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back