• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China 2010 (3 Viewers)

Saturday, 5th June

Xinglong Mountains, Gansu province

The Xinglong Mountains are just over an hour's taxi ride south-east of Lanzhou - the provincial capital of Gansu province.

Its close proximity to a city of more than three million people poses a potential problem for anyone who goes birding there. My advice is to avoid the weekend, when thousands of people escape one of the most polluted cities in China and make for the clean mountain air and beautiful forest.

Unfortunately, my schedule could not be altered, and my only full birding day of this 10 day research trip (people not birds) was on a Saturday.

My plan was to keep ahead of the crowds by arriving early and moving up the mountain ahead of the day-trippers, a plan that would work very well indeed.

I arrived at 6.30am, bought a ticket at the gate, and headed up the mountain. I walked from 2200 metres above sea level to about 2,700 metres amid 50 metre-tall primary conifers.

The first bird of the day was a singing Yellow-streaked Warbler (357), followed by a group of Elliot's Laughingthrushes (358) that emerged from the bushes next one of the many small temples on the mountain.

While I was watching the Elliot's, and listening to the chanting of a robed monk, offering a prayer to the low morning sun, a Chestnut Thrush (359) perched in the open.

A pair of Beavan's Bullfinches hopped around my feet. Wonderful birds, that I had last photographed on New Year's Day on Emei Shan in Sichuan.

A Eurasian Treecreeper was too far away to be photographed, and a Chinese Nuthatch was photographed, but poorly.

Sichuan Leaf Warblers sang from the treetops of the secondary growth, but the leaf warbler I photographed wasn't singing and I have never seen Gansu Leaf Warbler (which I guess might occur here) so I'll leave it as Leaf Warbler sp.

Another bird that failed to make it on the 365 list was a Willow Tit sp that I suspect is a Weigold's Willow Tit, but I don't have the time to dig around for confirmation or otherwise.

White-capped Water Redstart (360) and Plumbeous Redstart (361) performed well and I managed to get my best ever photos of these two characterful species.

I spent a lot of time checking the upper branches of the conifers for one of my favourite birds - Crested Tit Warbler - which I had photographed here on December 11th last year. As I was craning my neck I saw a Nuthatch fly past me and land on a lower branch, about 50 yards away.

I picked my bins up, immediately found the bird, and let out a "YES!!", while picking my camera up and firing off several distant shots. This is not only a "new one" for the 365 challenge, but it's actually a bird I had never seen before:

Przewalski's Nuthatch (362) A pair!

Attachments

• Przewalski's Nuthatch 1.jpg
    Przewalski's Nuthatch 1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Przewalski's Nuthatch 2.jpg
    Przewalski's Nuthatch 2.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Przewalski's Nuthatch  3.jpg
    Przewalski's Nuthatch 3.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Saturday, 5th June

Photos 4-8 (of 18)

Attachments

• Xinglong Mountains, Gansu.jpg
    Xinglong Mountains, Gansu.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Beavan's Bullfinch.jpg
    Beavan's Bullfinch.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Chestnut Thrush.jpg
    Chestnut Thrush.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 58
  • Elliot's Laughingthrush.jpg
    Elliot's Laughingthrush.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Beavan's Bullfinch 2.jpg
    Beavan's Bullfinch 2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 56
Saturday, 5th June

Photos 9-13 (of 18)

Attachments

• Beavan's Bullfinch 3.jpg
    Beavan's Bullfinch 3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Leaf Warbler sp 1.jpg
    Leaf Warbler sp 1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Leaf Warbler sp 2.jpg
    Leaf Warbler sp 2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 55
  • willow tit sp.jpg
    willow tit sp.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Yellow-streaked Warbler.jpg
    Yellow-streaked Warbler.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Saturday, 5th June

Photos 14-18 (of 18)

Attachments

• Yellow-streaked Warbler 2.jpg
    Yellow-streaked Warbler 2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Plumbeous Redstart.jpg
    Plumbeous Redstart.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Plumbeous RedstartPlumbeous Redstart 2.jpg
    Plumbeous RedstartPlumbeous Redstart 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 51
  • White-capped Water Redstart 1.jpg
    White-capped Water Redstart 1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 54
  • White-capped Water Redstart 2.jpg
    White-capped Water Redstart 2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 56
Monday, 7th June

Lanzhou, Gansu province

No time for any birding yesterday or today.

Will fly to Sichuan late tonight and drive from Chengdu to Mianyang tomorrow.

Two burning questions:

1) Will I have time to go to the Shamrock Pub in Chengdu tonight? (their draught Guinness - all the way from the Liffey - is superb)

http://www.shamrockinchengdu.com/

2) Will I have any time tomorrow to go birding?

Last edited:
Thanks Edenwatcher, that's a great link.

I did indeed hear a phyllosc with that song, but wasn't sure what it was. However, the bird I photographed wasn't singing. I have no idea what the sight ID criteria for Gansu Leaf Warbler is though.

Regarding the willow tit, I believe that the consensus is that it's splitable. Some call it Sichuan Willow Tit, I call it Weigold's Tit.

Last edited:
Willow Tit, Gansu

Another bird that failed to make it on the 365 list was a Willow Tit sp that I suspect is a Weigold's Willow Tit, but I don't have the time to dig around for confirmation or otherwise.
Willow tits are indeed weigoldicus - whatever that split is called now.
Rob
Regarding the willow tit, I believe that the consensus is that it's splitable. Some call it Sichuan Willow Tit, I call it Weigold's Tit (363) (!)
I've never visited Gansu, but all the sources that I have suggest that your Willow Tit would actually be Parus [Poecile] (montanus) songarus affinis.

Songar Tit is/was recognised as a species by Harrap & Quinn 1996 (Tits etc), Dickinson 2003 (H&M3) and Cornell/Clements; but not by Eck & Martens 2006, IOC, BLI, HBW, OBC or China OS.

Parus [Poecile] weigoldicus Sichuan Tit (monotypic) is recognised by Eck & Martens 2006, IOC and China OS, but supposedly restricted to E Xizang, SE Qinghai, W Sichuan & NW Yunnan (HBW).

http://www.repository.naturalis.nl/document/41716 [p13-19]

Richard

Thanks Richard, we had them down in our original report as affinis/weigoldicus. Sub(specific) range limits are rather better understood than they were in 1989!
Whether species limits are is another question entirely ...

Rob

Willow Tits

Thanks Richard, we had them down in our original report as affinis/weigoldicus. Sub(specific) range limits are rather better understood than they were in 1989!
Whether species limits are is another question entirely ...
Rob
On a trip to Qinghai in 2005, I took it on blind faith that examples seen in the NE and SE must be affinis and weigoldicus respectively – never the most satisfying way to tick a split!

Richard

Thanks Richard

I saw c50 Songar Tits at the same place on December 11th of last year. The bird I photographed on this visit was a dead-ringer for the Weigold's I've seen in Sichuan, but the weight of the literature you cite has persuaded me to revert to my original decision (not to include it)... Not because I think it's a Songar (which I don't), but because I suspect there in an overlap zone and that things are not as clinical as the literature would have us believe.

One thing is clear, though... Mingyang (Sichuan) is a splendid place. Not many birds, but I did find an "English pub" last night that serves Boddingtons!

Just popping out for 2 hours birding before breakfast, and will then travel back to the Shamrock (sorry, Chengdu) in the late afternoon.

Cheers!

Shi Jin

Last edited:
Any developments on Jessica's Swift?
I've been away for some time and am surprised no one has offered any thoughts on what looks to be a most interesting bird.

Willow Tit, Gansu

The bird I photographed on this visit was a dead-ringer for the Weigold's I've seen in Sichuan, but the weight of the literature you cite has persuaded me to revert to my original decision (not to include it)...
Well, multiple sources maybe, but often in birding literature it can just be the same old accepted wisdom perpetuated from one source to another without question...

Richard

Thanks Etudiant for mentioning it. Yours is the first feedback I've had on the subject. Maybe it'll start the ball rolling.

Thanks Richard, yes indeed I'm sure in 10 years' time, we'll all be wondering why it has taken us so long to work out that a fair bit of what was accepted taxonomic "fact", was wrong. By then, the world list will be between 12 and 14 thousand I guess (depending on which authority one favours!).

Wednesday 9th June

Mianyang, Sichuan

I spent two hours in The People's Park this morning. For more than half of that time I waited for a parent to bring a fish to a juvenile Kingfisher. Didn't quite get the shots I wanted, but they could have been a lot worse.

Not that bad shots also of White-browed Laughingthrush and Chinese Blackbird (don't panic, neither was new).

But, sorry to report, White-rumped Munia was my 363rd!

Forgive me for not posting the photos just now, but it's 8pm here (just got back to Chengdu), and I'm thirsty!

Any birders reading this within striking distance, I'll be in The Shamrock in 15 minutes...

Cheers to that! B :)

Attachments

• Chinese Blackbird.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 88
  • White-rumped Munia.jpg
    White-rumped Munia.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Whiye-browed Laughingthrush.jpg
    Whiye-browed Laughingthrush.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Wednesday 9th June

Mianyang, Sichuan

I spent two hours in The People's Park this morning. For more than half of that time I waited for a parent to bring a fish to a juvenile Kingfisher. Didn't quite get the shots I wanted, but they could have been a lot worse.

Not that bad shots also of White-browed Laughingthrush and Chinese Blackbird (don't panic, neither was new).

But, sorry to report, White-rumped Munia was my 363rd!

Forgive me for not posting the photos just now, but it's 8pm here (just got back to Chengdu), and I'm thirsty!

Any birders reading this within striking distance, I'll be in The Shamrock in 15 minutes...

Cheers to that! B :)

Congrats, almost there then, any bets (or a pint of the old liffy special) on what the final species will be?

Here are the photos of the Kingfishers from Mianyang, Sichuan.

I'll fly this morning from Chengdu to Zhengzhou in Henan province, and from there to the city of Xuchang.

No idea what I might find there. Would be astonished to find Boddingtons.

Final two birds? ... Swallow and Red-rumped Swallow would do the trick.

Attachments

• Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Kingfisher2.jpg
    Kingfisher2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Kingfisher 3.jpg
    Kingfisher 3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Kingfisher 4.jpg
    Kingfisher 4.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Friday, 11th June

Xuchang, Henan province

Thank you all for so much for your support and encouragement, not to mention congratulations...

In fact, it looks like the crowd are already on the pitch

Red-rumped Swallow (364)

They think it's all over...

Swallow 365

It is NOW!

Attachments

• Red-rumped Swallow... 364.jpg
    Red-rumped Swallow... 364.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 81
  • China... 365... Swallow.jpg
    China... 365... Swallow.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back