• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid-size shootout, Pentax 9x32 vs Celestron Granite 9x33 (2 Viewers)

justabirdwatcher

Since losing/misplacing my beloved little 8x32 Blue Sky's about 2 months ago, I've had a hole in my arsenal, and a critical one at that. My day-to-day vehicle binoculars are always a mid-size, mid-price pair like those Blue Sky's, for a number of reasons. They fit nicely in the pocket of my car door, they are not so expensive that if they are stolen or lost, I am out a whole lot of cash, and I tend to be a little less careful with them. They also serve as my hunting binoculars and my loaner binoculars, so if they are dropped (and they usually get dropped) I don't feel so bad.

I could have just bought another pair of Blue Sky's, but I've found I am liking the higher magnification of my 10x42 SLC's. A nice compromise, I thought, might be these two mid-size offerings from Celestron and Pentax. Both come very highly rated, and can be had for a little over $200 right now.

My initial impressions were as follows:

Granites come with more accessories, and appear to have a little more attention paid to the packaging, case, straps, etc. They come with a harness which I may or may not use, but at least it's an option. The Pentax is a very slim and trim and attractive binocular, but the accesories and case are very cheap. I didn't think I'd like the integral objective covers of the Granites, but they actually aren't that bad. I'll probably keep them in place.

In the hand, I prefer the Pentax. They are slightly slimmer, slightly lighter (18 vs. 20 oz.) and the feel is just a little better. The strap lug on the Granites is a bit sharp on the edges.

Focus wheel... this is something I've become very sensitive to lately after handling some good ones and some really bad ones. The focus wheel on the Granites was initially stiff and sloppy, but it loosened up. It's still got a little slack in it - which I don't care for - but thankfully there is no play once you set the focus. I think I can live with it. I'm not overshooting the focus and going back and forth like I was on the Zen's. The focus wheel on the Pentax is tight but very precise. It's quite good and I can tell would only get better with use.

Eye cups - the edge for me at least, goes to the Pentax. They are plastic, but they click into place tightly and they fit my eye sockets perfectly. In virtually every way ergonomically, these Pentax are nearly the perfect open bridge midsize binocular - much the same way I felt about the Blue Sky's. The eye cups on the Granites are metal, click into place with a little slack, and are larger. But not so large they create an issue for me. No pressure on the bridge of my nose like my Bruntons or the awful Leupold Gold Ring's that I sold for exactly that reason.

Hinges on both are fine. Good and tight but not stiff. Length is virtually identical. The Granites "feel" like a larger pair, mostly because the barrels are larger, but I can't say they really are that much bigger. The extra 2 oz. makes them feel larger too, I think.

Now for the important part. The optics.

The Pentax are honestly a little disappointing. First, the fogged up when I took them from my air-conditioned home outside to our "lovely" 90% humidity and 85 degree morning. The Granites didn't fog up at all.

After allowing the condensation to evaporate, the view of the Granite was darn near a "wow" view. Very sharp, very bright, no "rolling ball" and no glare or ghosting. Colors were good. Brightness and sharpness was closer to my SLC's than to the Pentax. Honestly, I'm very impressed with the Granites optically. For that reason, they are the clear winner in this battle.

The Pentax handle beautifully, but optically offer what you'd expect from a $200 pair of binoculars. They are okay, but certainly not great. The Granites border on great.

In addition to being optically better in nearly every way, the field of view on the granites is much better. The Pentax give you that "tunnel vision" look, sadly the same thing I didn't care for with my Blue Skys (the only thing I didn't like about them). No "tunnel vision" feel on the Granites.

Sweet spot was about 70% on the Granites and about 60% on the Pentax, but remember, the Pentax FOV is less already so it's about 2/3 the sweet spot that you get on the Granites.

I wish I could get the optics of the Granite and the ergonomics and handling of the Pentax. However, since that's not possible, I'm keeping the Granites and sending the Pentax back.

IMO, these 9x33 Granites are an absolute steal at the $224 price I got them for. Very close to the performance of my Brunton's as my memory serves (sold the Bruntons to buy these). I won't be missing the Bruntons now that I have seen these Granites.

If you've been looking at either of these, get the Granites. You won't regret it.

Attachments

• IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 277
view. 10x42 SLC first, then Granite, then Pentax (image from the Granite is blurry from hand shake)

You can see the obvious difference in relative brightness. Granite is closer to the full size Swaro than the Pentax. Very impressive!

Attachments

• IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2486.JPG
    IMG_2486.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Final cut.

My new "stable of three."

Swaro SLC 10x42 (26 oz.); Celestron Granite 9x33 (20 oz.); Bushnell Legend Ultra Elite 10x25 (12 oz.)

Attachments

• IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2491.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2493.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 137
Surprising amount of CA from the Swaro. It's better than the other two of course but still... The Pentax has really poor CA control (as you can see at the bottom with that horizontal branch.)

I don't think I'll ever post photos through a binocular again. The only reason I did was to show the relative brightness, which these images do nicely (that's exactly how they appeared to my eyes in terms of brightness).

No good deed goes unpunished, I think applies here. Oh well. I tried.

Unreal.

Congrat's for being the first person I'll have added to my ignore list after just one response.

Surely, you don't start a thread without expecting different views from the membership. Not everyone will always agree with your thoughts but that does not mean that you go after a member who doesn't agree.

Compared the Granites to my Swaros in low light this evening, right before it just got too dark. The kind of light I typically spot deer in on a hunting trip.

I have to say these 9x33's continue to impress me. Plenty of light even in very dim conditions, and lots of detail.

No question my Swaro 10x42 SLC's are better, but the Granites are still very good. Plenty good to make me happy, and that's harder and harder to do these days, the more models I see.

Justabirdwatcher,

Yeah the reply was rude and should probably have drawn initial moderator attention. However I leave you with this. Whenever you post a review it will make somebody mad. Get used to it, thicken up your hide and go on. Do that or quit. There is always room for somebody who makes honest effort at descriptive reviews, even if he does use pictures ;)

Outdoor Life Magazine gives award to Pentax 9x32 DCF BC Binoculars

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/abo...DOUBLE_AWARD_ON_PENTAX_DCF_BC_9x32_BINOCULARS

It won the "Editor's Choice" and "Great Buy" awards in 2011.

I have one. I think it is surprisingly good for the $220.00 or so that I paid for it. It looks like a clone of the Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky II and is made in the Philippines.

Bob

Bob, I think the Pentax is a good buy for $220. Great? Not compared to the $179 Sightron Blue Sky in my opinion. I'd rather look through my old Blue Sky's than these Pentax, I think. But they sure did figure out the weight, balance and ergonomics. I almost didn't want to put the Pentax down!

Justabirdwatcher,

Yeah the reply was rude and should probably have drawn initial moderator attention. However I leave you with this. Whenever you post a review it will make somebody mad. Get used to it, thicken up your hide and go on. Do that or quit. There is always room for somebody who makes honest effort at descriptive reviews, even if he does use pictures ;)

If you knew me, and knew what I've dealt with in my life, you'd know how amusing that sounds to me. I honestly cannot believe someone would be so rude over something as trivial as binocular review. I guess that's why it bothers me. Because if you're that rude over a binocular review, how rude are you when it comes to things that really matter? I can't even imagine.

Anyway, moving on...

The Granites have pretty well nailed the view for a mid-sized binoc IMO. Only thing I'd change would be the eyecups and I'd tighten up that focus wheel a touch, but I can live with those things I think.

If you knew me, and knew what I've dealt with in my life, you'd know how amusing that sounds to me. I honestly cannot believe someone would be so rude over something as trivial as binocular review. I guess that's why it bothers me. Because if you're that rude over a binocular review, how rude are you when it comes to things that really matter? I can't even imagine.

Anyway, moving on...

The Granites have pretty well nailed the view for a mid-sized binoc IMO. Only thing I'd change would be the eyecups and I'd tighten up that focus wheel a touch, but I can live with those things I think.

Remember, this is the internet, rudeness is the norm. It's the nice guys who stand out.

Thanks for putting in the effort to write something, I read every word.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back