• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My thoughts on the Zeiss 10X42SF (1 Viewer)

SuperDuty

United States
I'm thinking that I'll keep the 10X50SV, will try to give my thoughts this evening. Bet you're all waiting with bated breath on this information. 3:) Please forgive the old pillows, thats the old couch I sleep on so I can afford binoculars.:-O

Attachments

• IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 411
I'm thinking that I'll keep the 10X50SV, will try to give my thoughts this evening. Bet you're all waiting with bated breath on this information. 3:) Please forgive the old pillows, thats the old couch I sleep on so I can afford binoculars.:-O

:eek!:, Inquiring Minds want to know! :t:

Hi Ted

I felt I just had to see the SF in order to know if I was missing out on the best 10X available. Turns out, for me anyway, I already have them. The SF is a very nice binocular to be sure, they feel extremely light with great balance allowing me to be slightly less shaky than with the 10X50. Although not quite as sharp as the SV, the extra stability was a positive. They are bright with a somewhat clinical, neutral if you will, color balance. The SV on the other hand has a much more saturated, colorful image, I greatly preferred the brilliance of the SV. Looking at the trunk of a large oak tree 400 yards away, the SF showed it to be gray with decent rendering of the fine texture of the bark, the SV revealed even more of the texture of the bark including green tones that were lost to the SF. I felt that the SV image was more delicately detailed and pristine, more organic looking. In the area of CA correction there is no doubt that the SF is superior to the SV and probably the equal of the Kowa Genesis, but as has been said before, the SV is no slouch either. The much talked about ease of view of the SV was hinted at by the SF but for me not equaled. I saw the full FOV with the SF, but the edge of the field on the SV was sharper which I am beginning to think may be part of the reason for the SVs wide open feel in the image. I didn't think to check the SF for RB, but it didn't jump out at me, nor did the extra FOV seem to get my attention. I know the SF is wider but the SV feels more open. The focus knob on the SF is very smooth, but I lucked out with a good one on the SV so no real difference there. Much better though than on the 10X42 SV I had.

The SF is a good binocular, but for my taste, especially factoring in intrinsic value, legendary warranty, robust build quality, and above all else that beautiful, organic, colorful, absurdly easy view, the SV wins by a big margin for me. All of these thoughts IMO. |=)|

:eek!:, Inquiring Minds want to know! :t:

Great feedback, but the bins aren't quite equal in spec. Do you feel that the spec difference is accounting for much here?

As an aside, can you remember any bino having a more relaxing immersive view than that 10x50 SV? Just wondering. I haven't used one yet. I'd be fascinated to see how it locks horns with the old fujinon fmtrxs 10x50.

Cheers
Rathaus

Last edited:
The 50mm I'm sure helps, but my opinion would have been virtually the same if I were doing the comparison with the 10X42 SV. The view to me is the very definition of relaxing and immersive, but I haven't seen a Fuji 10X50.

Great feedback, but the bins aren't quite equal in spec. Do you feel that the spec difference is accounting for much here?

As an aside, can you remember any bino having a more relaxing immersive view than that 10x50 SV? Just wondering. I haven't used one yet. I'd be fascinated to see how it locks horns with the old fujinon fmtrxs 10x50.

Cheers
Rathaus

Right, there's quite a difference in weight. That *does* make a difference in the field. And a larger exit pupil always makes a difference in ease of view, there's in my mind no doubt about it. None whatsoever.

That aside, I also feel you definitely need some time to get used to a pair of binoculars. I personally wouldn't really want to judge the differences between binoculars without having used them for some time in different situations in the field.

Hermann

I know it is not what you want flat field wise, I am just wondering "out loud" about how a HT would have done on that oak tree. Have you used one?

I am shopping for a super good 10x to be obtained sometime between Christmas and the return of warm weather.

I haven't seen an HT, I would like to though.

I know it is not what you want flat field wise, I am just wondering "out loud" about how a HT would have done on that oak tree. Have you used one?

I am shopping for a super good 10x to be obtained sometime between Christmas and the return of warm weather.

The difference in weight is very noticeable. I've compared binoculars that were both so close that it was almost impossible for me to decide, that's not the case here, the view is very different between the two and the choice for me is clear. The air was good and the sun was in and out a lot, I was able to check about every optical parameter that was important to me, I also looked at pigeons, several different colors of chickens, and a big red Doberman. :-O I may look a little more with them this weekend, but I feel like they should go back soon while they are still indistinguishable from brand new. If they were $500 I wouldn't be quit as nervous carrying them around.

Right, there's quite a difference in weight. That *does* make a difference in the field. And a larger exit pupil always makes a difference in ease of view, there's in my mind no doubt about it. None whatsoever.

That aside, I also feel you definitely need some time to get used to a pair of binoculars. I personally wouldn't really want to judge the differences between binoculars without having used them for some time in different situations in the field.

Hermann

Inquiring Minds Need To Know

Robert,

Thanks for your interesting initial assessment and findings! Maybe if you have more trial period time with the 10x42SF \ 10x50SV comparison, might you be able to add differences in:

Stereopsis (3D effects)
FOV In-focus DOF
Very low light (deep dusk-first light) transmission capabilities

A comparison between the 10x50SV and a 10x50SF (if\when available) would certainly even up differences you see, but for now, have to glass with what's available! :t:

BTW, when you do return it, consider converting those funds to a "new bed"! 3:) ;)

Stay thirsty my friend, B :)

Ted

Hi Ted

The SF is a fine binocular with a first class image, the light weight and balance are definitely a big plus also. Would a 10X50 SF be superior to the 10X50 SV, I don't know, if you like total neutrality of color in your binoculars, then it might already be superior. I had them out again today for a little while and could see absolutely zero rolling ball in side to side panning, but I am obviously not RB sensitive to any degree. I see the full FOV of the SF while looking straight ahead, but when looking to the edge there is some black out that occurs. With the SV my eyes can wander to the edge with no hint of black out. Is it the bigger exit pupil of the SV, not enough eye relief on the SF, I don't know. That easy view of the 10x42 and 10X50SV is not duplicated by the SF, would it be in a 10X50 SF, I can't say. The CA control of the SF is impressive, and that's saying something coming from me, it's probably as good as I've seen. On the three other questions, I would say advantage SV, but I'll check maybe Sunday to see if I can tell much of a difference. My room is to small for a bed of any size, so the old broke down couch will have to stay, that and I'm stubborn as a mule about changing anything. 3:)

As with anything optical it is all about personal preference, and many will prefer the SF, you must try them for yourself, especially at this price level.

Robert,

Thanks for your interesting initial assessment and findings! Maybe if you have more trial period time with the 10x42SF \ 10x50SV comparison, might you be able to add differences in:

Stereopsis (3D effects)
FOV In-focus DOF
Very low light (deep dusk-first light) transmission capabilities

A comparison between the 10x50SV and a 10x50SF (if\when available) would certainly even up differences you see, but for now, have to glass with what's available! :t:

BTW, when you do return it, consider converting those funds to a "new bed"! 3:) ;)

Stay thirsty my friend, B :)

Ted

Glad you did the buy, was interesting. At that level there is no wrong wrong choice if you like it. Swaro didnt get where they are by producing a shoddy product.

Hi Ted

I felt I just had to see the SF in order to know if I was missing out on the best 10X available. Turns out, for me anyway, I already have them. The SF is a very nice binocular to be sure, they feel extremely light with great balance allowing me to be slightly less shaky than with the 10X50. Although not quite as sharp as the SV, the extra stability was a positive. They are bright with a somewhat clinical, neutral if you will, color balance. The SV on the other hand has a much more saturated, colorful image, I greatly preferred the brilliance of the SV. Looking at the trunk of a large oak tree 400 yards away, the SF showed it to be gray with decent rendering of the fine texture of the bark, the SV revealed even more of the texture of the bark including green tones that were lost to the SF. I felt that the SV image was more delicately detailed and pristine, more organic looking. In the area of CA correction there is no doubt that the SF is superior to the SV and probably the equal of the Kowa Genesis, but as has been said before, the SV is no slouch either. The much talked about ease of view of the SV was hinted at by the SF but for me not equaled. I saw the full FOV with the SF, but the edge of the field on the SV was sharper which I am beginning to think may be part of the reason for the SVs wide open feel in the image. I didn't think to check the SF for RB, but it didn't jump out at me, nor did the extra FOV seem to get my attention. I know the SF is wider but the SV feels more open. The focus knob on the SF is very smooth, but I lucked out with a good one on the SV so no real difference there. Much better though than on the 10X42 SV I had.

The SF is a good binocular, but for my taste, especially factoring in intrinsic value, legendary warranty, robust build quality, and above all else that beautiful, organic, colorful, absurdly easy view, the SV wins by a big margin for me. All of these thoughts IMO. |=)|
What the hell is an organic view, when its out!!!!
suppressor.

Natural is what I was going for, but probably not the best descriptive. The SF is pretty much neutral in color, the SV a little on the Technicolor side of things, so maybe the SF is more natural in color. The SV just looks more dynamic, more dimensional, more alive to me. If I had the SF they would probably not get that much use, the SV on the other hand is always calling out to me.

Organic View...You know...Natural!

Natural is what I was going for, but probably not the best descriptive. The SF is pretty much neutral in color, the SV a little on the Technicolor side of things, so maybe the SF is more natural in color. The SV just looks more dynamic, more dimensional, more alive to me. If I had the SF they would probably not get that much use, the SV on the other hand is always calling out to me.

Your opinion of the colour balance of both bins seems to be the exact opposite of some of the expert reviews on here lately. And, this is not to say that I don't believe what you write but to illustrate how different people see different things. I think binocular preference is mostly a hard-wired, brain - eye thing that either we like [something] or we don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back