• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Its a darn good job i'll be 10 minutes from the coast this weekend then (and well for the forseeable future). A mere half hour from filey tops as well and 20 mins from flamboro. Different ball game to being 90 minutes from the coast.

Depending on how bad the hangover is after watching the football on Sunday am planning on taking the family to Bempton on Monday.

Not been for years so am really looking forward to it.

Richard

Thanks for all the PM's about Bolton Abbey, managed to get all the targets at close range (all under ten feet). Plus went on to reaquaint myself with the peregrines at Malham. The male returned as I arrived with a woody nearly as big as himself. Nearly got the full set of raptors with buzzard, kestrel, little owl, hobby(whilst driving), red kite, tawny owl(heard), peregrine and raven. One of the best birding days ever for me!

Thanks for all the PM's about Bolton Abbey, managed to get all the targets at close range (all under ten feet). Plus went on to reaquaint myself with the peregrines at Malham. The male returned as I arrived with a woody nearly as big as himself. Nearly got the full set of raptors with buzzard, kestrel, little owl, hobby(whilst driving), red kite, tawny owl(heard), peregrine and raven. One of the best birding days ever for me!

did you get spot fly, did you get the reds at the spot I suggested? PM appreciated with any good gen!! :t:

Tawny Owl hit along Potter Newton Road

Last edited:
Had a walk at Filey this evening, partly for exercise, but mostly to see the Short-toed Lark.

I must admit I wasn't expecting to be blown away, especially after King Eider, Golden Oriole etc. of past weeks.

After a few false alarms with Skylark, I got good views of the bird and was surprised how different the ST was from the Skylarks.

Although not exactly bowled over by the bird's good looks, it was delightful in it's own way and I was glad I made the effort to see it.

Got both flycatchers, redstarts at your spot (too late to catch the early singers along the strid), plus wood warbler displaying near the main path. People must feed the birds at the pavillion because as soon as i stopped to talk with some people there the birds came ridiculously close including pheasant,nuthatch, treecreeper and willow warbler.

mark.

From Forsman….

2nd cy females are often impossible to separate from adult females at a distance…..

The body plumage is extremely similar to adult females and aging is based on the retained juvenile feathers….. primaries, tail and under- and upperwing coverts.

Practically all females retain most of their juvenile tail through the partial moult and the juvenile retrices are clearly shorter (c2 cm) than the moulted feathers…. showing a different colour and barring.

The juvenile feathers have almost equally wide dark and pale bands….. whereas the moulted feathers are pure grey with fine dark bars and a kestrel like wide black subterminal band.

The pale tips of the juvenile are worn off …. the recently moulted feathers show broad pale tips.

Underwing coverts are mainly retained juvenile feathers showing dark barring in contrast to uniformly coloured coverts in adult females.

Upperwing coverts can be partly moulted, but worn and dull juvenile coverts are found among the greater and outer lesser and median coverts. Upperwing coverts are most easily studied on perched birds when the abraded and dull brown primaries are also quite obvious.

hope this helps

The only thing is the bird on Thorne is described as a 1st summer female - I'm not sure if that's different to a 2nd cy?

Thanks for the update in any event Keith.

Its a darn good job i'll be 10 minutes from the coast this weekend then (and well for the forseeable future). A mere half hour from filey tops as well and 20 mins from flamboro. Different ball game to being 90 minutes from the coast.

I'm at the coast - Filey, from Friday through to Monday. Anything around Filey/Flamborough and I'm laughing. Knowing my look, the goodies will be at Spurn.

Went up to Graham's site for the LEO again last night. Managed to hear at least 3 birds but no sightings. Did manage to find roding woodcock this time, I'd forgotten how quiet their calls are.
I met with another birder up there who is birding the area regularly, he was telling me that crossbill are found up there so I think a trip during daylight is in order.

Farne Islands

Down tell the chav birders!

It could be busy. You might find going to the web site for Billy Shield's Boat trips helpful. http://www.farne-islands.com/boat-trips/

It's best to go on the one where you're able to land on one of the islands ..take some protective headgear, as the terns will be divebombing no doubt!!
Hope you do get to go - it can be a splendid, even magical experience, especially if you hear the seals "singing"!!

It could be busy. You might find going to the web site for Billy Shield's Boat trips helpful. http://www.farne-islands.com/boat-trips/

It's best to go on the one where you're able to land on one of the islands ..take some protective headgear, as the terns will be divebombing no doubt!!
Hope you do get to go - it can be a splendid, even magical experience, especially if you hear the seals "singing"!!

Yes make sure you get on the right one Marcus. My first visit years ago saw me land on a birdless island - Brownsman I think - the one with the lighthouse at any rate. I got over it, but I'm not sure the three French lads over especially for the trip quite did.

I'm going up there myself in June/July, but can't make this trip with you.

Its a darn good job i'll be 10 minutes from the coast this weekend then (and well for the forseeable future).

Nafferton huh? 10 minutes to the coast.... watch out for speed cameras ;)

There's something weird about Nafferton Mere... it never ever freezes. As in not even a little bit. Which means it can attract a lot of duck during a cold snap. There were up to 150 tufties one winter. I believe there's a record of Ferruginous Duck as well (no idea when from).

Cheers,
Bob.

Saw a few Gadwall on it last time we went which surprised me for a village pond. Also a couple of tufties. Will have to keep a close eye on it.

10 minutes from the coast in Winter, but once the Summer Season is in full swing it's another matter. Tractors, bumper to bumper caravans, old people with masive Jags doing no more than 40mph in a 60!!!! It's enough to turn you to drink!!!!
Hope the move goes well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back