• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (24 Viewers)

Just watched the bit about the Roller on BBCi Player. What makes me laugh is that the person who put up the video took it down because the location might have been discovered and now here they are on the tv news telling everyone where it is. I just don't get why we had all the secrecy.
Here is the link for anyone who wants to watch the news broadcast, fast forward to 24 minutes....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00trqw2/Look_North_(Yorkshire_and_Lincolnshire)_14_09_2010/

I assume you watched the same programme as me, but on no occassion did we make any reference to a gas terminal, that was all down to the BBC. If you read back to comments made by Pete Mella, he made the right assumption. We are hoping to put the video back on, along with the one of it flying, if possible.

Just watched the bit about the Roller on BBCi Player. What makes me laugh is that the person who put up the video took it down because the location might have been discovered and now here they are on the tv news telling everyone where it is. I just don't get why we had all the secrecy.
Here is the link for anyone who wants to watch the news broadcast, fast forward to 24 minutes....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00trqw2/Look_North_(Yorkshire_and_Lincolnshire)_14_09_2010/

Thanks for this, it wasn't on the West Yorkshire version of Look North.

regards

Mark

Haven't you thought that he was getting all sorts of "advice" on whether he should put it up/take it down? It's only two days.

If you're that desperate a flight to Spain costs the same as a few trips to Spurn.

What's your problem mate? This is a discussion forum. I am discussing. Where is the desperation? Get over yourself.

I assume you watched the same programme as me, but on no occassion did we make any reference to a gas terminal, that was all down to the BBC. If you read back to comments made by Pete Mella, he made the right assumption. We are hoping to put the video back on, along with the one of it flying, if possible.

For some strange reason you still seem to be talking in riddles mate. So how about a couple of straight answers for a change. Are you one of the blokes on the news bulletin and is the bird in the Gas Terminal as you now seem to be saying that it is not. If you don't want to answer these questions then fine but don't go throwing cryptic clues about like some smug child.

For some strange reason you still seem to be talking in riddles mate. So how about a couple of straight answers for a change. Are you one of the blokes on the news bulletin and is the bird in the Gas Terminal as you now seem to be saying that it is not. If you don't want to answer these questions then fine but don't go throwing cryptic clues about like some smug child.

Mannix - I really think your tone is rather out of line here. You may have noticed that despite confusion and frustration over missing this bird everyone is keeping civility and good relations with the original finders. Haranguing and insulting people reporting birds on private land is a sure fire way to ensure they never do so again. Yes there's bits that don't add up here, but we don't know the full story.

And let's face it, if the guys who tirelessly work the Spurn Peninsula every single day can do this with a bird they've missed by a mile or two, a non-twitcher from Doncaster can do the same. I know you have a list of mythic birds you feel you need to see, but it's still really odd how much you're getting your knickers in a twist over this. Some birders have been birding for 40 years or more and never seen a roller, and aren't getting stressed to this level. Live with it, I'm afraid. As Jim says if you're that desperate they're ten a penny in Spain.

Last edited:

yes i am one of the men in the news who found, videod and photographed the bird, but due to your patronising comments you have made me think twice about seeking permission to put the further video of it on you tube. maybe you should take heed in what pete mella is saying. end of my conversations.

My hope is the guys who saw the Roller take up birding. It's probably a once in a lifetime event but you never know what's in the next bush. Isn't that what quickens your pulse?

Rodney
Don't take any notice of Mannix I can't see what his problem is. I know you spoke to Andy yesterday and now the record can be fully documented, that's the important thing.

The problem with these forums is they attract a large majority of people who haven't been birding that long in the great scheme of things and/or aren't really keen enough to be fully committed to it as an interest. They do tend to get things a bit out of proportion.

Anyone who thinks Roller is mythical and is desperate to see one has had 2 opportunities in the last 5 years or so to see one in Yorkshire and in Britain in total there are over 300 sightings so it's not really that rare.

G

The problem with these forums is they attract a large majority of people who haven't been birding that long in the great scheme of things and/or aren't really keen enough to be fully committed to it as an interest. They do tend to get things a bit out of proportion.

Anyone who thinks Roller is mythical and is desperate to see one has had 2 opportunities in the last 5 years or so to see one in Yorkshire and in Britain in total there are over 300 sightings so it's not really that rare.

G

Okay maybe i havent been birding that long in the grand scheme of things i suppose(I'm only 27) but 2 opportunities in the last 5 years hardly makes it an easy one to get and Yorkshire is a bloody long walk from Sunderland.

300 records doesnt make it all that rare relatively speaking but pick any given person in any given area and how many of those 300 would have been realistically gettable to someone who cant drive and works full time?

Luckily for me one did turn up on the doorstep just a few years ago but to suggest that someone isnt really that keen or committed just because they havent seen a Roller is pretty ridiculous IMO, there is a big difference between being keen and committed and being obssesed.

Mannix, this is all rather tedious, get over it!

The guys who found the bird did everything they could to get it in the public domain so quickly. Just cos you didn't get the opportunity to go and see it then so what - the record is well documented and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

There will be most probably be another Yorks record before long that you may be able to go and see, there've been two in the last few years. Given that Lapland Bunting was your last lifer then you'll have plenty more species to occupy yourself with before the next Roller, are you going to beat yourself up about every one of them that you don't hear about or miss?. Most you will have the opportunity to see but there will always be a small number of records that for whatever reason aren't available to everyone, don't worry about it - it's birding.

Well done Rodney1 for the find, I hope that it encourages you to get out and about a lot more.

yes i am one of the men in the news who found, videod and photographed the bird, but due to your patronising comments you have made me think twice about seeking permission to put the further video of it on you tube. maybe you should take heed in what pete mella is saying. end of my conversations.

Naqaaa naaa na naaa naaaaaaaa I'm taking my ball and going home.

Rodney
Don't take any notice of Mannix I can't see what his problem is. I know you spoke to Andy yesterday and now the record can be fully documented, that's the important thing.

G

Now you are talking down to me. Does this mean you consider yourself above talking to relatively new birders? And how dare you comment on how keen I am, you don't have a clue about me at all. Also this is nothing to do with seeing the bird, which I gave up all hope of the day after it was reported. I have no sour grapes about seeing this bird and am happy for anyone who has. My whole reason for being on this forum is to discuss things, you know, the thing that forums are set up for. In my opinion the two blokes who put this news out have loved every minute of the fact that they have seen this bird and thousands of birders haven't. The one on the right in the news report could not have looked more smug if he tried, it was absolutely childish. "I've got a lollypop and you haven't" And he has systematically come on here acting just as childish trying to wind everyone up. Again, this is a discussion and not me wanting to see the bird.
As for seeing a Roller, I have been birding since 2006 and have not seen a report of one in all that time. Money is tight and running off to the South coast is not an option so forgive me your royal birdness for not being worthy of the mud off your shoes.
The documented report for Yorkshire...Great
The pair of wannabe stars who found it... blank.

Given that Lapland Bunting was your last lifer then you'll have plenty more species to occupy yourself with before the next Roller,

How many species have I seen then mate? Are you also someone who looks down on anyone with a life list shorter than 500? Mine is only 215 so I guess I'm not worthy to lick your shoes either. A lot of people assume a lot of stuff around here. As I said to the last bloke, seeing the bird is not the issue, it is the way the finders have acted since. That Rodney bloke is acting like a big kid saying he won't put the video back up because I upset him. Oh dear he better go and tell his mummy.

Give it a rest Mannix. It's done and dusted. Sure, I'm envious of someone who has seen a bird that I didn't. Still miffed that I missed the Black-throated Thrush. Maybe next time. Stuff happens.

How many species have I seen then mate? Are you also someone who looks down on anyone with a life list shorter than 500? Mine is only 215 so I guess I'm not worthy to lick your shoes either. A lot of people assume a lot of stuff around here. As I said to the last bloke, seeing the bird is not the issue, it is the way the finders have acted since. That Rodney bloke is acting like a big kid saying he won't put the video back up because I upset him. Oh dear he better go and tell his mummy.

I really don't care how many species you've seen Mannix, you've clearly a lot more to go - so get out and enjoy them instead of babbling on about this one.

Now you are talking down to me. Does this mean you consider yourself above talking to relatively new birders? And how dare you comment on how keen I am, you don't have a clue about me at all. Also this is nothing to do with seeing the bird, which I gave up all hope of the day after it was reported. I have no sour grapes about seeing this bird and am happy for anyone who has. My whole reason for being on this forum is to discuss things, you know, the thing that forums are set up for. In my opinion the two blokes who put this news out have loved every minute of the fact that they have seen this bird and thousands of birders haven't. The one on the right in the news report could not have looked more smug if he tried, it was absolutely childish. "I've got a lollypop and you haven't" And he has systematically come on here acting just as childish trying to wind everyone up. Again, this is a discussion and not me wanting to see the bird.
As for seeing a Roller, I have been birding since 2006 and have not seen a report of one in all that time. Money is tight and running off to the South coast is not an option so forgive me your royal birdness for not being worthy of the mud off your shoes.
The documented report for Yorkshire...Great
The pair of wannabe stars who found it... blank.

There was one on 15th and 16th July 2007 around Easington.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back