• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (18 Viewers)

The Arctic Redpoll was reported from Allerthorpe Common again today - it came onto Birdguides late this evening, does anyone know anything about this sighting?

Cheers, Andy

Ian Andrews posted on York site yesterday.He is a ringer.I asked if any photos and the answer is no.I am not doubting his observation....but I personally would love to see some photos.!!So initial sighting was single observer.
Not sure if record being put forward to county.I don't know who has reported it today.

Slavonian Grebe at Swillington Ings

Pic of today's Slavonian Grebe just to the left of the causeway taken this afternoon.

Dave

Attachments

• slav.jpg
    slav.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 91
Hi

Arctic Redpoll at Allerthorpe

I have only just joined this forum, but I reported this bird. It was there again today, from 9am until midday. It is in a flock of 100 or so Redpolls, the vast majority of which are flammea. On the ground, with pale flammea, there is no comparison...it is a very white bird. Two days ago, when I watched it at close range, it showed no streaks on undertail coverts and the rump is pure white and extensive up the back onto the mantle. The whole ground colour is very white indeed.

There are several birds within this flock which you could consider for some time on the basis of their white rumps, but this bird is obvious! It is instructive just to see the vast variation within the Redpolls of this flock...some appear very large indeed. Unfortunately, they did not reach my nets, today...I would be interested to get an idea of the relative size and colour of birds within the flock.

The flock seems to appear at the south side of this tiny reserve and then works its way to the top left corner, before fading away into the forest to the west. I saw no sign over lunch today, and gave it up for the afternoon.

Ian

Last edited:
Hi

I have only just joined this forum, but I reported this bird. It was there again today, from 9am until midday. It is in a flock of 100 or so Redpolls, the vast majority of which are flammea. On the ground, with pale flammea, there is no comparison...it is a very white bird. Two days ago, when I watched it at close range, it showed no streaks on undertail coverts and the rump is pure white and extensive up the back onto the mantle. The whole ground colour is very white indeed.

There are several birds within this flock which you could consider for some time on the basis of their white rumps, but this bird is obvious! It is instructive just to see the vast variation within the Redpolls of this flock...some appear very large indeed. Unfortunately, they did not reach my nets, today...I would be interested to get an idea of the relative size and colour of birds within the flock.

The flock seems to appear at the south side of this tiny reserve and then works its way to the top left corner, before fading away into the forest to the west. I saw no sign over lunch today, and gave it up for the afternoon.

Ian

Thanks for the info Ian, and welcome to the best bit on bird forum! I'm going to head across tomorrow to take a look.

Cheers, Andy

Hi

Ian

Yes thanks Ian

I can't get there till saturday..desperate to see it.....to compare to redhouse polls been watching all winter.

Paul

Sun at last

started out at Thixendale superb display by 6 buzzards all interacting with each other plenty of hare's and partridge. then onto top hill low when light was good birds went AWOL when light was poor birds seemed to return.GSW showed well,plenty of brambling at the visitor centre, smew and goldeneye on the D pool plus dabchicks x 2 and 6-10 gadwall.

Attachments

• gw2.jpg
    gw2.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 58
  • gsw1.jpg
    gsw1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 63
Hi

Ian

Hi Ian,

Met you there today with my daughter, never saw the Coue's. Gutted I missed it by an hour or so, shouldn't have filled my belly at Langlands first! Thanks for showing us the Adders by the way, was a cracking day all the same! :t:|:D|

Hope to get back there early next week as too much on over next 3 days :-C

Richard

North up the A1079 past Pocklington and turn off left down Sutton Lane (for Sutton-upon Derwent) opposite Hewson and Robinson garage. Carry on until first turning on left for Thornton. Take that and carry on down to main, signed, FC car park on right. Enter forest across the road from there and walk straight on, on path beside field, until you reach the fenced off reserve. Grid ref: SE761475

Ian

In other words...No, it's not in Allerthorpe!!

Last edited:
Morning all. Can anybody offer a location for Allerthorpe Common? I presume it's in Allerthorpe?! Cheers

No, it's not in Allerthorpe!

Allerthorpe Common Grid reference SE 753 473 Post code YO42 4
Take the A1079 from Market Weighton towards York. DO NOT follow the signs to Allerthorpe. Carry on past the Barmby Moor turn off and turn left at the Esso garage (care may have changed hands) following the sign to Sutton-on-Derwent & Thornton. Carry straight on and take the left turn signed to Thornton. After about ½ a mile turn right into a car park. (You can also park on your left just before the left hand turn to Thornton - from there YWT reserve is a short walk).

Viperae

Just out of interest how many Adders did you see? Numbers seem to have dropped quite alot in the reserve over the last couple of years.

Thanks

In my experience, numbers have not dropped. However, with the increased clearings created over the last few years, the animals have spread out more. Yesterday, I counted 8, in one small area near the YWT reserve. There are areas with more than that, though, and last March/April I was regularly finding 20+, as I wandered around in search of early season hoverflies. If you know where to look, there are certainly large numbers to be seen.

There were quite a few Lizards around, yesterday, as well.

Ian

In my experience, numbers have not dropped. However, with the increased clearings created over the last few years, the animals have spread out more. Yesterday, I counted 8, in one small area near the YWT reserve. There are areas with more than that, though, and last March/April I was regularly finding 20+, as I wandered around in search of early season hoverflies. If you know where to look, there are certainly large numbers to be seen.

There were quite a few Lizards around, yesterday, as well.

Ian

That's good news.

I have seen Adders in other parts of the forest (including several basking on the main paths) but the actual reserve is where I have always actively searched for them.

In recent years I’ve noticed an increase in other snake watchers (at least at weekends) while at the same time, Adder numbers have appeared to decline.

It’s good to know Allerthorpe still has good numbers elsewhere in the forest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back