• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Hi Andy,
I wish! i ventured over to Grassington this was about 2 miles away from stump cross caverns, plenty of curlew,golden plover,100+ lapwings and 50+ fieldfare in the fields.

Ah ok! I was wondering if there was one wandering about locally!

Last edited:
Had the last couple of hours of light over at North Duffield Carrs this evening, highlight being a Barn Owl that landed on a post right outside the hide, less than 10ft away! Also had the Great Crested Grebe. Details and pictures will be on my blog later, still playing catch up after my sucessful twitch for the Rufous Turtle Dove yesterday - which is now on my blog, including stunning photo of what is truly a stunning bird. Incidently, I think there has been 2 (accepted) records for Yorkshire (meena East Yorkshire 1975) and (orientalis North Yorkshire 1889). Fingers crossed for another local one soon!

Went over to Baildon Moor to look at the Snow Buntings at the weekend. Finally added Skylark to my yearlist too. Went on a moorland walk to see red grouse while I was in the area.

Never really bothered to keep a UK year list before as I travel about quite a bit but I've had such a good start to the year that I might just do one.

What would people consider to be a good number for this time of the year and also by the end of the year?

Depends on how much birding and travelling you do. Do you twitch at all? I've only done a list for the last 4 years and it has gradually improved but then I don't travel too much. Have the odd day out and I'll take binoculars with me but I don't go chasing birds around the country.
Last year's list was approx 150, this year so far is 85 but that is slowing down already.

I have limited access to my girlfriends car so can't always get out as much as I'd like, however I do manage to get about a fair bit within about a 70 mile radius with a couple of longer trips planned in.

I don't like twitching rarities as the crowds are a bit much for me, however if something is close enough and sticking around I would go see it like the pied billed grebe last year.

I have already got 138 this year going to places I've learned are reliable plus some good tip offs from this site, although this number does include feral barnacle goose and feral ring necked parakeet.

There are probably about 15 species I really should have seen by now but haven't and even more that I have seen but not in the UK and I think this might be the year I should make the effort.

Hi Trystan, 138 spp for the year is pretty good if you aren't travelling far. 200 should be relatively easy, especially if you can manage to persuade your girlfriend that a Spring week(end) break in Norfolk would be nice ;)

The Arctic Redpoll was present at Allerthorpe Common this morning, it showed well at 11.00 before the flock (totalling over 100 birds (possibly 125+ birds) mixed Mealy and Lesser) started to disperse. They were feeding on the ground in the YWT section. Details and pictures will be on my blog tonight hopefully.

Cheers, Andy

Hi, Trystan. I'm sure that people on here could help you with the birds you haven't yet got (but should have?). If any are sensitive you could ask for a PM. Most birds aren't out of reach.

Had some siskins in the garden yesterday which was a bonus. Had a work trip to Snettisham which was pretty cool. Report on blog. Managed to stumble on a suppressed male Dartford warbler as well. I thought they were all dead.

The Dartfords have had a very bad winter. We were in South Wales 2 weeks ago. Whilst there visited a site that had 6 pairs last year. But now only 1 pair to be found. They did have at least 72 pairs in all of Wales but are now trying to find out how many are left. So well done Hotspur on your fortunate find.

Hi, Trystan. I'm sure that people on here could help you with the birds you haven't yet got (but should have?). If any are sensitive you could ask for a PM. Most birds aren't out of reach.

Well one is Black Grouse so doing the Tyke meet would be a good way to get that one. Most are seabirds though, have big gaps in my shearwaters, petrels, skuas.

If I could get a few of those on the list and hit 200 in the UK for the year I would be quite happy!

LEO (2) still next to Xerox hide at B/tofts Fri.
Snow Bunting (2m 1fm)at CP on Baildon Moor ystrday (along with several Skylarks) feeding on seed thrown by ...??
Attached pics a bit crappy

Attachments

• P1000007 copy.jpg
    P1000007 copy.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 80
  • P1000022 copy.jpg
    P1000022 copy.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 87
Allerthorpe Redpoll info and pictures on my blog now

Cheers Andy
was expecting something much different..great account on blog....maybe I need to leave these birds alone now...have had so many like this...all deemed mealy.....the photos might not do it justice...maybe more obvious in field....but....And don't wan't to become unpopular...not convinced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back