• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (22 Viewers)

Well one is Black Grouse so doing the Tyke meet would be a good way to get that one. Most are seabirds though, have big gaps in my shearwaters, petrels, skuas.

If I could get a few of those on the list and hit 200 in the UK for the year I would be quite happy!

There have been Tyke meets for seabirds in the past so keep looking out. I think it has been Autumn previously.

That's true Chris. There will probably be an outing for an RSPB Skua and Shearwater cruise in the Autumn. Last year wasn't brilliant but did produce Roseate and Marsh Terns, a couple of Manxies and a diver or two. Keith's write-up is here. The afternoon on land produced a goody :t:

Hi, Trystan. I'm sure that people on here could help you with the birds you haven't yet got (but should have?). If any are sensitive you could ask for a PM. Most birds aren't out of reach.

hi TRYSTAN if you want to add to your list try WYKEHAM VIEW POINT.was there on sunday and saw 7 goshawk.6 common buzzard,1 kestrel, 1 sparrowhawk,1 crossbill,2 red leg partridge an dozens of coal tits

Cheers Andy
was expecting something much different..great account on blog....maybe I need to leave these birds alone now...have had so many like this...all deemed mealy.....the photos might not do it justice...maybe more obvious in field....but....And don't wan't to become unpopular...not convinced!

I'd have to agree, from those pictures there's nothing different to some birds at Redhouses.

Reported on RBA pager as still present today (28th Feb) at 10:45am.
In 2010 was last reported on 20th March so could be around for another week or three yet.

The last picture in 2010 was Darren Wards on 1st March. Very few sightings thereafter of a bird that hadpreviously been there daily, read into that what you will.

Nipped down for Ring-Bill this afternoon but no sign. Got there around 4 and there were very few gulls around so perhaps they had cleared off to roost before I arrived.

Nipped up to Fairburn today in the dinner hour. Just wanted to mention the improvements being made at the Pickup hide. I'd always viewed this hide as a dead loss. However, currently there is a feeding station set up, which provides the best afternoon light conditions in natural settings, and reduces the number of dog walkers and non birders that get in the way at the other feeding stations.

Even here it can get frustrating, but at least there are less - apparently you need to look through "goggles" to see the birds - oh and not forgetting to shout at the top of your voice. It's about time the area beyond the reserve centre was members or paying customers only.

Anyway back to the Pickup - they've constructed a Sand Martin bank close to the hide, which will hopefully be populated and will give some nice photo opp's.

I thought I'd got my first Sand Martin of the year today - I watched this "bird" coming closer and it turned out to be a day flying Pipistrelle - apparently the second of the day.

Snow Bunting (2m 1fm)at CP on Baildon Moor ystrday (along with several Skylarks) feeding on seed thrown by ...??
Attached pics a bit crappy

Hi Joe,

Is this car park easy to find? I may have some spare time this weekend, but don't want to waste it driving up & down Baildon Moor looking for the right place!! I think I have a reasonably good idea where it is but want to be sure.

These buntings seem to be fairly long stayers so fingers crossed they'll still be there at the weekend.

Richard

They were building the sand martin bank the last time I was there. At least there shouldn't be any problems with flooded nests (unless there's the freak floods like a few year ago) and hopefully not too many raids from predators.

Hi Joe,

Is this car park easy to find? I may have some spare time this weekend, but don't want to waste it driving up & down Baildon Moor looking for the right place!! I think I have a reasonably good idea where it is but want to be sure.

Richard

If you find Spring lane out of Eldwick you can't miss the car park, the snow buntings were feeding on the left side and didn't seem too bothered or fly far even when they were flushed by a dog.

hi TRYSTAN if you want to add to your list try WYKEHAM VIEW POINT.was there on sunday and saw 7 goshawk.6 common buzzard,1 kestrel, 1 sparrowhawk,1 crossbill,2 red leg partridge an dozens of coal tits

Thanks for the info, both Goshawk and Crossbill are on my life list but not my UK list, hopefully will get over there this weekend!

Had a walk round Lotherton Hall today including a visit to the bird garden. There was a white stork in there without any rings and it looked to be full winged, as there was a sign on the paddock fence for white stork it was obviously meant to be there as I couldn't see any other white storks in the paddock. Anybody know if the bird is full winged?
Best bit of the Bird Garden is the walk through aviary, an African Experience. Sacred ibis, waldrop, hammerkopf, cranes and whistling ducks plus some pigeons birds that I couldn't id. Really quite good being able to get a picture of a waldrop without having the cage bars in the way.

17 Waxwings in my Leeds garden this afternoon in glorious sunshine, feeding on Cotoneaster down to ten yards. Really pleased they've finally found this tree; it took them until March to get here in the last invasion.

Unfortunately not viewable from any public highway, but they are sure to be commuting around the Gledhow and Chapel Allerton areas. I'd happily invite people in but I'll be away for a few days (see next post) and they are communal gardens behind gates and I don't think the other residents would approve.

Graham

Snow Buntings

Hi Joe,

These buntings seem to be fairly long stayers so fingers crossed they'll still be there at the weekend.

Richard

Hia Richard, I've put an attachment to show the CP, sorry about this but it's the only way I know to show where it is. I didn't drive there we were walking from the Cow 'n calf. Hope it's OK the flag is on the CP :t:

Attachments

• Snow Buntings.docx
    1.4 MB · Views: 119
Hope no-one minds me posting this here...

Tomorrow, March 3rd, I’ll be setting off to cycle around 220 miles from Leighton Moss RSPB, near Silverdale on the Lancashire coast, to Bempton Cliffs RSPB north of Flamborough on the Yorkshire Coast. The route takes me through Morecambe, Lancaster, and over the Pennines through Whalley, Colne, and Keighley to Leeds; then on to York and through the Wolds to Bridlington, Flamborough and Bempton. It’s only around 50 miles a day on average, but that’s quite enough for an 18-stone forty-year-old on an old mountain bike with a hernia. (Me, not the bike)

I’m hoping to raise some money for two charities, the RSPB and for Jole Rider, who supply bicycles to Africa, including the village in the Gambia which I have visited twice in recent years. Obviously, all the trip expenses are my own and all money donated will go directly to the charities concerned. If I meet the modest target I will have raised more than the cost of the trip for each charity.

I’ve set up two “Just Giving” sites, one for each of the charities, at the following links...
RSPB... http://www.justgiving.com/rspbrosespootle/
Jole Rider... http://www.justgiving.com/joleriderrosespootle

You can read more about both charities and the work sponsorship money will support here...
RSPB... http://www.rspb.org.uk/about/whatwedo/
Jole Rider... http://www.jolerider.org/index.php/programmes/bikes4africa

Thanks for reading and thanks very much for any sponsorship money you are able to donate.

[FONT=&quot]Graham[/FONT]

Sponsors

Hope no-one minds me posting this here...

Tomorrow, March 3rd, I’ll be setting off to cycle around 220 miles from Leighton Moss RSPB, near Silverdale on the Lancashire coast, to Bempton Cliffs RSPB north of Flamborough on the Yorkshire Coast. The route takes me through Morecambe, Lancaster, and over the Pennines through Whalley, Colne, and Keighley to Leeds; then on to York and through the Wolds to Bridlington, Flamborough and Bempton. It’s only around 50 miles a day on average, but that’s quite enough for an 18-stone forty-year-old on an old mountain bike with a hernia. (Me, not the bike)

I’m hoping to raise some money for two charities, the RSPB and for Jole Rider, who supply bicycles to Africa, including the village in the Gambia which I have visited twice in recent years. Obviously, all the trip expenses are my own and all money donated will go directly to the charities concerned. If I meet the modest target I will have raised more than the cost of the trip for each charity.

I’ve set up two “Just Giving” sites, one for each of the charities, at the following links...
RSPB... http://www.justgiving.com/rspbrosespootle/
Jole Rider... http://www.justgiving.com/joleriderrosespootle

You can read more about both charities and the work sponsorship money will support here...
RSPB... http://www.rspb.org.uk/about/whatwedo/
Jole Rider... http://www.jolerider.org/index.php/programmes/bikes4africa

Thanks for reading and thanks very much for any sponsorship money you are able to donate.

[FONT=&quot]Graham[/FONT]

Hia Graham,
Great charity, I'll send you a cheque for a tenner if you PM your details. I'd rather do this than via Credit/Debit.......hope you make it, I'm sure you will...Making it public is the best motivation.... :t:

Hia Richard, I've put an attachment to show the CP, sorry about this but it's the only way I know to show where it is. I didn't drive there we were walking from the Cow 'n calf. Hope it's OK the flag is on the CP :t:

Cheers Joe, it is where I thought it was!!

Going to try & get there over the weekend.

Richard

Heard a dirty rumour when I was at Allerthorpe dipping the Redpoll that it was seen at a site in Thornton near Melbourne yesterday, about two miles as the Coues' flies. Saw nothing of note at Allerthorpe but did manage 2 Red Kites driving home and a good number of Brambling at the grain store at Fridaythorpe as I sped past.

Waxwings - Brough, East Yorks.
Possibly had a flock of 20-30 Waxwings while picking my daughter up from the local school, then walked home and had a group of 5 (6 an hour later) on TV aerials in Trent Walk viewed form my back door!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back