• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Congratulations Graham, have a well earned rest and I bet there's some aching parts now. I also know it's easy to get distracted while on the bike when there's wildlife around so it's good you made it in one piece.

A following wind helped me complete the last 72 miles on Tuesday and I made it to Bempton Cliffs late afternoon, unfortunately just as the cafe was closing. I couldn't find a puffin, either. The sunset was glorious though, and I even have a bit of a tan.

My 232 miles in five days from Leighton Moss to Bempton Cliffs has raised £572 so far for the RSPB and Jole Rider. Many thanks again to all who contributed.

RSPB... http://www.justgiving.com/rspbrosespootle/
Jole Rider... http://www.justgiving.com/joleriderrosespootle

Still have to tot up the trip list but think it's around eighty species, although oddly not a meadow pipit the whole way.

Graham

Well done Graham! Who's the skinny bloke standing by the bike at Bempton? If you'd have been one day earlier getting to Bempton, you could have asked my well-heeled Tuesday classes to stump up some sponsorship cash in person!

Congrats Graham. Really like the shiney spokes on yer bike, is it tape?

3M styrofoam stuff, Keith. They clip on to the spokes... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sekuclip-Bicycle-Reflective-Spoke-Clips/dp/B002Q9N3AM

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. Apart from a real slog into a headwind over the Pennines it was actually easier than I expected. Bit sore today, though.

BTW, have there been any roughleg sightings at Millington this year? I had several buzzards on that stretch, including a pale lazy-looking one, but all much too distant to spot the odd one out.

3M styrofoam stuff, Keith. They clip on to the spokes... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sekuclip-Bicycle-Reflective-Spoke-Clips/dp/B002Q9N3AM

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. Apart from a real slog into a headwind over the Pennines it was actually easier than I expected. Bit sore today, though.

BTW, have there been any roughleg sightings at Millington this year? I had several buzzards on that stretch, including a pale lazy-looking one, but all much too distant to spot the odd one out.

Only saw 2 Common Buzzards there last week, but the most depressing thing was the lack of small birds in Millington Wood. It seems as though no one could get through the snow in the bad weather to fill up the feeding station, and there are hardly any small birds left. Some seed was put down & 4 hours later it appeared to be untouched!

My 232 miles in five days from Leighton Moss to Bempton Cliffs has raised £572 so far for the RSPB and Jole Rider. Many thanks again to all who contributed.

Still have to tot up the trip list but think it's around eighty species, although oddly not a meadow pipit the whole way.

Graham

Well done, I will be sure to drop something in the collection box next time I'm at an RSPB shop.

Coincidentally I'm missing meadow pipit from my list this year too, I wonder if the bad winter has had an effect.

Well done, I will be sure to drop something in the collection box next time I'm at an RSPB shop.

Coincidentally I'm missing meadow pipit from my list this year too, I wonder if the bad winter has had an effect.

There was a single Meadow Pipit at Bempton on Tues am

Had a nice garden bird this morn , a fairly scarce bird on the cape , only a few records a year, ( apologies for the crappy pic)
Crossbill001.jpg

Elongated bill

Been down to Potteric Carr this afternoon and spotted a blue tit with a massively elongated bill. How this bird manages to feed I do not know.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 76
Wow David that is a massive overshoot on the top mandible. I suppose the bird is picking up seeds by turning it's head to the side, but I can't see how on earth it would tackle a caterpillar or other insect.

Just missed 17 waxwings in the garden this afternoon, my wife took great delight in telling me when I arrived home. So there are still a few around eevn now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back