• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Redkite watching the far side of Harewood again early Sunday afternoon, but light not brilliant. Bird tagged with number 6 seen amongst several others. One bird very obligingly landed in a field in front of me. Would agree with Lawts estimate of numbers.

Attachments

• redkite1.jpg
    redkite1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 71
  • redkite landing 1.jpg
    redkite landing 1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 99
  • redkite tag6 1.jpg
    redkite tag6 1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 76
Bolton Abbey Yesterday

Walking the fields upto the Abbey these 2 were very obliging. There was also about 50 Oyster catchers in the same area along with c 20 Curlew.
Later, on the ridge from Round Hill to Beamsley Beacon, a solitary Golden Plover was heard....
A Red Kite swooping around and 3 Buzzards circling higher, numerous Red Grouse but not yet any returning Meadow Pipits ......!

Attachments

• Mandarin Duck copy.jpg
    Mandarin Duck copy.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 116
Had a busy week and not caught up with any migrants yet but I've been following everyone's posts here and on Birdguides.

I love the fact that, even when I'm busy, birds manage to put a smile on my face. A single redwing standing a yard away from me on the grass verge next to the bus stop on Queenswood Drive; the female tawny calling from my garden at 6am; a pair of mallards appearing for the first time this year in my garden as I'm setting off for work. Long-tailed tits in a tree in Victoria Gardens in front of the Art Gallery. Mistle thrushes singing from the top of the O2 Acadamy. All missed by busy commuters.

Does anyone know where Huggin Carr is? I know that it is in the Hatfield Woodhouse area, but not sure where.

Huggin Carr is on the right hand side of the A614 travelling from Hatfield Woodhouse towards Lindholme, opposite the Lakeside Indian Restaurant. Why are you interested, not really heard of anything out of the ordinary in that area.
Dave.

Carry on further down the A614 and about half a mile further down the road on the left is the Boston Park entrance to Hatfield Moors (Signposted by brown sign on the right) go down that lane and the car park is to the left at the end of lane. Park up and carry on in the same direction as the gated lane, past the portable toilets and just keep walking straight on and past the riding stables. After about twenty mins of a slow walk you will reach the Prison Lakes of which there are three, ten Acre Lake is the next one on. You can also access this from Rempole Lane in Hatfield Woodhouse but I have never been from that access. Might even go there myself tomorrow.
Dave

The Rempole Lane access point does actually bring you to a car park right by the end of the Lake but it isn't the best of roads for driving over as last time I went it was pretty rutted in places.

I've just had a look at the British Birds Rarities Committee Work in Progress report and found that my Black-winged Stilt from Clifton Backies in York in April last year has been accepted. I've put some information on my blog about the species' status in Yorkshire.

Cheers, Andy

I thought the Siskins around my work car park had pushed off as I haven't seen them for a couple of weeks but they were back again this morning to brighten up the day.

Saw the Red necked grebe today at 10 Acres Lake, what a cracking bird it is, a first for me and what a first.! In full breeding plumage... well chuffed.!
But no joy for the Black necked at Huggin Carr...this "lake" is new and is still being landscaped....there were several birds, Lapwing, Oyster Catchers and BH Gulls with a few Grey Lag on the banks. The only thing I suppose that could maybe cause "confusion" with a B N Grebe was a Gt Crested still in winter plumage close to a male in full breeding plumage.
This water has a dyke bounding it's E side and a Public F/path running alongside that (not near enough for bino's) but at the moment there's a lot of disruption with earth moving vehicles still landscaping, not attractive. Unlike the 10 Acres where we also saw 2 Adders..too quick for pics

Joe

Last edited:
I've just had a look at the British Birds Rarities Committee Work in Progress report and found that my Black-winged Stilt from Clifton Backies in York in April last year has been accepted. I've put some information on my blog about the species' status in Yorkshire.

Cheers, Andy

Cracking record Andy, can remember seeing it at the time don't think I quite realised where it was from, now knowing the area makes it even more impressive! Congrats on getting it accepted!

Saw the Red necked grebe today at 10 Acres Lake, what a cracking bird it is, a first for me and what a first.! In full breeding plumage... well chuffed.!
But no joy for the Black necked at Huggin Carr...this "lake" is new and is still being landscaped....there were several birds, Lapwing, Oyster Catchers and BH Gulls with a few Grey Lag on the banks. The only thing I suppose that could maybe cause "confusion" with a B N Grebe was a Gt Crested still in winter plumage close to a male in full breeding plumage.
This water has a dyke bounding it's E side and a Public F/path running alongside that (not near enough for bino's) but at the moment there's a lot of disruption with earth moving vehicles still landscaping, not attractive. Unlike the 10 Acres where we also saw 2 Adders..too quick for pics

Joe

Joe,

I have talked to locals whilst at hatfield and huggin carr is a hotspot for BNG especially post breeding with multiple birds present late summer.

Mark.

Green-winged Teal - Newburgh Priory

Has anyone been for this bird? Just curious re how well it's showing - I never seem to get this species showing well for photies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back